Girlfriend killed as Bangkok cop crosses bridge on motorcycle - despite ban

webfact

This incident will be used as justification for the 'Bikes on Bridges' ban when being on the bridge doesn't appear to have any relevance.

Why are bikers all over the world allowed to use bridges like this one (except in high winds, when high-side vehicles & others are also restricted) and underpasses and do so without incident, millions of times every day, but the Thai authorities appear to have trouble with bikes using them?

We don't have any bridges like this in my locality and I almost never go to Bangkok so I don't know how Thai bikers behave on them - I only know that their general behaviour on the roads is pretty poor.

I don't think the problem is with bridges and underpasses, more to do with the death wish riding habits of Thai motorcyclists.

If you can't get riders to drive sensibly in a high risk area then the only other option is to ban them, and this officer has demonstrated that it is a wholly sensible move.

I think it was the truck that killed her.

Unfortunately Thailand has a lot of people on motorbikes. If you have an accident on a bike you wreck yourself, usually if you are in a car you just wreck the car.

80% of Thais who die on Thai roads are on a bike. If they were in cars the road toll would be considerably less, I reckon, less than half of what it is now.

(And the traffic would be considerably worse)

"Usually if you are in a car you just wreck the car and all the people in your way." Ever heard that a car can be a deadly weapon when you give it to a female?

Edited by lostinisaan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The guy just lost his girlfriend and maybe saw when a truck rolled over her body. And there are people who talk about alcohol, speeding and other nonsense?

How do you live with such a tragic accident? And does it turn you on when you write something bad about a guy who's already fragged?

I was drunk quite a few times on a big bike and speeding. I only had good luck that nobody died.

RIP to the deceased. wai2.gif

He didn't lose his girlfriend, he killed her. There is a slight difference.

You really expect people to feel sorry for him ?

Roommuck. If you have started driving or riding after having had in your own words "a few pints", you are 100% at

fault and should have the book thrown at you, heavily fined and banned for life for a start.

I know some people seriously oppose drink driving. I understand why.

But the reality is most people who do do it, do so without ever having a problem. I am not talking about being blind drunk, but having a few beers (which puts you over the limit).

I did it twice every week in Australia, playing in team pool comps. If I had to pay for taxis it would have been too expensive. So the choice was to go and have fun in a team bonding experience ( winning numerous grand finals, having some real times AND LIVING LIFE) with good mates or sit at home watching the idiot box. I always drove safer than normal, never speeding etc (for fear of being pulled over). Hundreds of times, without a single incident.

I did it for a while in Pattaya also, but a few mates got caught and the punishment is being put in a cell until the courts open so you can be bailed out. I realized it was stupid, because even it wasn't my fault and someone ran into me, I would be screwed. And the fact that taxis are dirt cheap here. I now have a regular taxi driver and it costs me 200-300 baht depending on where I am, so the price of 2 or 3 beers.

In Australia the taxis would have cost me more than the price of the beer.

If you are sensible about it there isn't a problem. The problems are caused by idiots who can't handle their grog and then drive like idiots, often showing off with a carload of people ( or in this case maybe racing his other mates on a bike).

Or maybe this cop was cold stone sober. In Oz they reckon 60% of all fatal accidents are caused by people who HAVENT had a drink.

Maybe he hit something on the road. Sh.t happens.

Is it just you who thinks you are a great driver when drunk, or do the rest of the drunks in the passenger seats also tell you what a great driver you are ?

Just those sober idiots driving into you that you have to worry about.

Roommuck. If you have started driving or riding after having had in your own words "a few pints", you are 100% at

fault and should have the book thrown at you, heavily fined and banned for life for a start.

I know some people seriously oppose drink driving. I understand why.

But the reality is most people who do do it, do so without ever having a problem. I am not talking about being blind drunk, but having a few beers (which puts you over the limit).

I did it twice every week in Australia, playing in team pool comps. If I had to pay for taxis it would have been too expensive. So the choice was to go and have fun in a team bonding experience ( winning numerous grand finals, having some real times AND LIVING LIFE) with good mates or sit at home watching the idiot box. I always drove safer than normal, never speeding etc (for fear of being pulled over). Hundreds of times, without a single incident.

I did it for a while in Pattaya also, but a few mates got caught and the punishment is being put in a cell until the courts open so you can be bailed out. I realized it was stupid, because even it wasn't my fault and someone ran into me, I would be screwed. And the fact that taxis are dirt cheap here. I now have a regular taxi driver and it costs me 200-300 baht depending on where I am, so the price of 2 or 3 beers.

In Australia the taxis would have cost me more than the price of the beer.

If you are sensible about it there isn't a problem. The problems are caused by idiots who can't handle their grog and then drive like idiots, often showing off with a carload of people ( or in this case maybe racing his other mates on a bike).

Or maybe this cop was cold stone sober. In Oz they reckon 60% of all fatal accidents are caused by people who HAVENT had a drink.

Maybe he hit something on the road. Sh.t happens.

I understand what you are saying, and I believe you when you say that you were never speeding, and I also believe that 60% of fatal accidents are caused

by people who have not had a drink. but what is the chances of driving while over the limit, and you come up against a sudden emergency, someone walks on to the road without looking, or a driver pulls out of a side street, how are your reactions going to be? There is no excuse for driving over the limit.

You are right, I don't do it anymore.

But,

I don't regret that I did it as I did it safely and lived more. I can honestly say I was a much safer driver after a few beers because I concentrated more and drove slower, always indicated, always drove on the quietest back roads etc, did nothing to give police reason to pull me over. Maybe lives were saved because of this.

I believe I can drive unaffected at about double the limit. It is very low .05.

The limit is too low for me personally IMO but maybe right for some people. The law has to be the same for everyone.

Heaps of people, Thai and farang do it everyday in Pattaya. I had an American mate who was in his eighties, with one working eye who drunk drove just about every afternoon. Thinking of him, and others like him put me off riding a push bike in Pattaya. He never had an accident, and did really enjoy the last few years of his life.

I am out on it tomorrow arvo and evening, some people think it is strange I now arrive in a taxi (I don't like motorbike taxis, to me they are more dangerous than driving myself).

I reckon most afternoon dark side drinkers drive/ride. Many are old with not the best site. They all do seem to manage though.

I don't know how much more I can say, but I'm glad you don't do it anymore.

The guy just lost his girlfriend and maybe saw when a truck rolled over her body. And there are people who talk about alcohol, speeding and other nonsense?

How do you live with such a tragic accident? And does it turn you on when you write something bad about a guy who's already fragged?

I was drunk quite a few times on a big bike and speeding. I only had good luck that nobody died.

RIP to the deceased. wai2.gif

Bragging that you drive drunk? Wow. you get the @%%$*(# of the week award. Notice how deviants always defend always deviants?

You are right, I don't do it anymore.

But,

I don't regret that I did it as I did it safely and lived more. I can honestly say I was a much safer driver after a few beers because I concentrated more and drove slower, always indicated, always drove on the quietest back roads etc, did nothing to give police reason to pull me over. Maybe lives were saved because of this.

I believe I can drive unaffected at about double the limit. It is very low .05.

The limit is too low for me personally IMO but maybe right for some people. The law has to be the same for everyone.

Heaps of people, Thai and farang do it everyday in Pattaya. I had an American mate who was in his eighties, with one working eye who drunk drove just about every afternoon. Thinking of him, and others like him put me off riding a push bike in Pattaya. He never had an accident, and did really enjoy the last few years of his life.

I am out on it tomorrow arvo and evening, some people think it is strange I now arrive in a taxi (I don't like motorbike taxis, to me they are more dangerous than driving myself).

I reckon most afternoon dark side drinkers drive/ride. Many are old with not the best site. They all do seem to manage though.

I don't know how much more I can say, but I'm glad you don't do it anymore.

This must be a troll post haha

You see, dumbarse, the problem with drink driving is that you THINK you are driving well. No matter how hard you are concentrating, your performance is not so good. You've obviously just proven this.

Reqards,