Restaurant owner makes last stand against beach demolition

webfact

BREAKING NEWS: Restaurant owner makes last stand against beach demolition

rest.jpeg
Restaurant owner Kanokpon ‘Tony’ Somrak (left) waits while Thalang District Chief Nikom Jathee (right) examines court documents.

PHUKET: -- Demolition is about to begin on shop houses at Lay Pang Beach after the owner of Tony Restaurant made a last-ditch effort to save his restaurant this morning.

Clutching court orders and other documents, restaurant owner Kanokpon ‘Tony’ Somrak made a one-man stand, insisting he had the right to operate his restaurant on the beachfront land.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/BREAKING-NEWS-Restaurant-owner-makes-last-stand/63770?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-27

Tony looks like one very warm and nice happy chappy. I wonder where his piece is, as he looks like he definitely would be carrying.

>>After a brief meeting with officials, including Phuket Police Deputy Commander Saman Chainarong, Thalang District Chief Nikom Jathee and Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Amornwat, Mr Kanokpon’s claims were dismissed.
Mr Kanokpon is currently removing items from the restaurant so that the demolition team can move in.
Great!
Edited by steelepulse

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke! Tony's massive eyesore of a restaurant was to be demolished last year but then a "friend" in Bangkok intervened to stop it.

All these places being cleared today have been cleared before, about 18 months ago.

I would be interested in the authenticity of his paperwork.

It would appear that the Army can disregard the "Court orders and other documents." So, what's the point of having an independent judiciary in Thailand whilst it's under military rule?

I'm all for demolition, if on public land, but he must have produced some sort of evidence to the Court, other than baht, for the Court to issue an order.

So, a judge either accepted money to make the order, or this guy has some evidence to suggest lawful ownership, yet, no investigation into either.

A number of these owners produce their (lease?) documents in a last ditch effort to save their dumps from demolition.

Does anyone take note of who sold them the right to build on this public land, and who profited from it?

Their names should be on the documents.

Apparently, I am told, all "documents" relating to land leases and ownership in Kalim have "disappeared". Funny that?? My wife has ours but she is told they were "issued without correct authority" whatever that means!!