British grandad locked up in Thailand claims he was beaten, robbed and sexually abused in jail

webfact

I think this account holds some truth to it. In prison, inmates run what happens inside and guards only watch and, as in this case, the guards perhaps are as evil as the inmates.. What bother me so about this is that this guy is probably in jail just because he is a foreigner. I have read so many instances where death has occurred due to negligent driving yet, the Thai never seems to go to prison for it. A good example is this recent case where the guy drove 200 kph and crashed into the back of a car killing to students. I don't see him even looking at a charge for their deaths, only his bad driving. Pathetic to see double standards across the board with foreigners and Thai.

here here,

the thai authorites are just digging a bigger hole for themselves everyday im reading about mistreatment and injustices against foreigners.

one law for them another law for us. they make me sick ....bah.gif

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the main reason I do not drive here, and my Thai wife have full insurance on her car, car cam, etc. I know that I am not free in getting in trouble. Sh..happens. But too many foreigners take the risk to go jail here, being drunk on public places, using drugs, driving motorbikes without any prior experience, getting involved with bad people or frequenting wrong places, expired visas, etc, etc. That behavior is very dangerous in most Asian, South America, Muslim and African countries....most of the world.

By very young tourist may be easy to understand, but by older guys.....and living here?...Hummmm....

When a friend of mine was checked into immigration detention in BKK he was given 100 baht of his cash back after the strip search and powdering. Once he got into his cell a nice man offered him 'protection' for 100 baht. Stay was relatively peaceful after he paid whilst waiting for the wheels of 'justice.'

Money IS used in many Thai jails.

Really? Thats IDC, not a normal Thai jail. When I was in jail here you were given a washing bowl and a toothbrush after the strip search. There is NO money inside Thai jails. Items are acquired using 10B Lactasoy cartons. Food is bought on a credit system, and as for protection...<deleted>? Have yo u ever seen what happens to troublemakers in a Thai jail? You dont make trouble, full stop.

Why didnt you help your 'friend' get out?

I'd expect that's the kind of thing that happens in thai jail.

There has to be a deterrent do most of the population other than just the term of the sentence.

I suspect the suicide/ murder rate especially somewhere like Bang Kwang a lot higher than will ever be publically known.

When people scream foul of a light sentence given to some crimes, I think the Thais know even a 5 year sentence can actually be a death sentence

You're quite wrong in your expectations. What has been described in Mirror-speak simply does not generally happen in Thai jails. Beatings do not happen unless there is severe provocation, as would be the situation anywhere, jail or not, and inmates involved in such activity would be punished by the prison system.

Your speculation about the suicide and murder rate is wrong also.

Thais know that a jail sentence is exactly that, a jail sentence, not a death sentence.

And, yes, I am in a position to know.

I think this account holds some truth to it. In prison, inmates run what happens inside and guards only watch and, as in this case, the guards perhaps are as evil as the inmates..

"In prison, inmates run what happens inside and guards only watch..."

Nonsense. Believe me, prison guards in Thailand are absolutely in charge of what happens in jail, inmates do not get a look-in in the running of a jail.

I think this account holds some truth to it. In prison, inmates run what happens inside and guards only watch and, as in this case, the guards perhaps are as evil as the inmates.. What bother me so about this is that this guy is probably in jail just because he is a foreigner. I have read so many instances where death has occurred due to negligent driving yet, the Thai never seems to go to prison for it. A good example is this recent case where the guy drove 200 kph and crashed into the back of a car killing to students. I don't see him even looking at a charge for their deaths, only his bad driving. Pathetic to see double standards across the board with foreigners and Thai.

The difference between the two cases is that the Merc. driver had money and paid his way out (or at least his insurance company did), the Brit doesn't seem to be able to raise 100k Baht and apparently didn't have insurance otherwise he would have been able to post a bail bond.

Have you ever heard the saying 'two wrongs don't make a right' This guy killed someone, are you saying he doesn't deserve to be punished because a Thai person would have gotten away with it ?

Also are we expected to believe most inmates in Thai jails an non Thai.

Don't put words into my mouth.. My comment has nothing to do with 2 wrongs making it right. My comment was simply how unfair it is that here you have a case where a foreigner is being charged for the death from an accident, yet a Thai is not.. Simple as that. Double standards.

"This guy killed someone" - wow! That's a huge conclusion to jump to. In the original story, it says that there were 3 adults on the other bike with no lights and no helmets. At what point does one stop being a victim and become a volunteer? In a civilized country, the police would have just told the Frenchman that he was in the wrong and ended it there.

I do not believe 1 word of this.

I have been in a Thai prison, and i was treated with the greatest of respect.

Staff and prisoners went out of their way to help me.

He did wrong and is trying to disguise what he did with lies.

Yeah right..

Your comment reveals that you know nothing of the workings of a Thai prison. colinneil obviously does.

as others said, there seem to be more to this case than indicated

on one hand he says that he does not know what he did wrong and on the other hand he says they tried to force him to sign a confession.

I would submit the confession they tried to get him to sign should give him an indication of what they think he did wrong.

Maybe his understanding of written Thai is not as good as yours, do you really think that statements taken by Thai police for defendants to sign are in English?

What was your crime? Care to share, with no lies?
Maybe you search Colins posts and you will find his story...its been told before all straight up with a brutually honest account

So maybe less of your demands "with no lies" etc or are you making remarks like this because his story doesnt fit the paraniod farangs version of "they are all out to get us" ?

Edited by Koosdedooes

No problem getting your next visa extended. Well done.

He is not alone in that situation, visas do not automatically get cancelled in the situation described despite your derision.

If he was 18 I might believe he was sexually abused, but 68 really ?

His claims of sexual abuse are total bull*shit! Every time he came back from court he would have been stripped searched, that is normal proceedure for all jails.

Most jails have a few ladyboys, or young boys who sell their services, so no Thai would ever want to "play" with a dirty, smelly, old foreigner.

Prisoners steal, that is normal, and attacks only happen if the person breaks the rules or really upsets the other inmates. Fighting in jails is dealt with harshly by the prison officers.

Most likely lots of sensational bs written given the source of this story "the mirror" only one step above the other trash news paper "the daily mail" one sudpects he may have been paid for his story as well...so got to include..sex and violence to get top dollar for the story

Money IS used in many Thai jails.

No, it is not. There would be no point.

All money, together with any other personal possessions, is taken from prisoners on their registration at the prison. It is held by the prison in an account in the prisoner's name to which additional money can be added by outsiders and any purchasing within the prison is debited from that prisoner's account. On release any funds in that account are returned to the prisoner down to the last baht.

There are no facilities at all in Thai jails that use cash.

Unfortunately for those incarcerated in the jails and the prison system here in Thailand they are subjected to some truly crude and rude conditions.

While most of the people agree that a prison incarceration should be one that makes the prisoner suffer for their crimes the end result of that collective mentality results in an abundance of real life horror stories to be told and considered....truth be told.

The prison system in any country is a measure of the countries collective mentality concerning law and order while Thailand is still somewhat in the dark ages concerning how they deal with convicted criminals and how they are addressed and how they are treated while incarcerated.

There are numerous countries with even worse prison conditions while hell does exist if you are incarcerated in those prison in those countries.

Here in Thailand the conditions are Bad but not the worst of worst if you compare them to the known conditions suffered by all to many people languishing in dismal prison conditions throughout the world.

Meantime the Thai prison system has to be improved a whole lot while the prison system here in Thailand is never seen as an important issue needing to be addressed while the allotted budget for prisons and correctional facilities is dismally small as compared to the amount of people being arrested and prosecuted and finally incarcerated.

Each successive government has always talked tough on crime and the need to crack down on crime but they seldom if ever address the other half of the equation relevant to how they are going to handle and contain all the criminals and law breakers that are going to be incarcerated as part of their increased law enforcement activities.

There has never been a plan to deal with all the people that will or could be imprisoned resulting in some notably miserable conditions suffered by all to many that are not hard core criminals while their only crime was smoking some marijuana or some minor criminal activity that they were involved with.

The Thai government at present and all the governments before have never had a well thought out plan concerning how to deal with those that are convicted and imprisoned.....and I do not think they ever will as their collective attitude and collective mentality is one of no one really cares and no one wants to speak out on the issue let alone actually address that issue....that is until they are incarcerated themselves and find they have no voice at all while no one to speak on their behalf and no one addressing the problems associated with over crowded prisons with hellish like conditions suffered by all too many and more so by many others.

You all just hope you never suffer the Thai prison system regardless of your thoughts or opinions about law enforcement and how criminals should be handled because, like the man in the OP, that could be you behind prison bars one day.

Cheers

Thank you for a breath of sanity!

I have only one very slight quibble -- When does any Thai think through the consequences of their grand schemes?

If Thai prisons really are so good, why didn't you ask for an extension?

Unfortunately for those incarcerated in the jails and the prison system here in Thailand they are subjected to some truly crude and rude conditions.

While most of the people agree that a prison incarceration should be one that makes the prisoner suffer for their crimes the end result of that collective mentality results in an abundance of real life horror stories to be told and considered....truth be told.

The prison system in any country is a measure of the countries collective mentality concerning law and order while Thailand is still somewhat in the dark ages concerning how they deal with convicted criminals and how they are addressed and how they are treated while incarcerated.

There are numerous countries with even worse prison conditions while hell does exist if you are incarcerated in those prison in those countries.

Here in Thailand the conditions are Bad but not the worst of worst if you compare them to the known conditions suffered by all to many people languishing in dismal prison conditions throughout the world.

Meantime the Thai prison system has to be improved a whole lot while the prison system here in Thailand is never seen as an important issue needing to be addressed while the allotted budget for prisons and correctional facilities is dismally small as compared to the amount of people being arrested and prosecuted and finally incarcerated.

Each successive government has always talked tough on crime and the need to crack down on crime but they seldom if ever address the other half of the equation relevant to how they are going to handle and contain all the criminals and law breakers that are going to be incarcerated as part of their increased law enforcement activities.

There has never been a plan to deal with all the people that will or could be imprisoned resulting in some notably miserable conditions suffered by all to many that are not hard core criminals while their only crime was smoking some marijuana or some minor criminal activity that they were involved with.

The Thai government at present and all the governments before have never had a well thought out plan concerning how to deal with those that are convicted and imprisoned.....and I do not think they ever will as their collective attitude and collective mentality is one of no one really cares and no one wants to speak out on the issue let alone actually address that issue....that is until they are incarcerated themselves and find they have no voice at all while no one to speak on their behalf and no one addressing the problems associated with over crowded prisons with hellish like conditions suffered by all too many and more so by many others.

You all just hope you never suffer the Thai prison system regardless of your thoughts or opinions about law enforcement and how criminals should be handled because, like the man in the OP, that could be you behind prison bars one day.

Cheers

Excellent comment! You are right but you might want to mention as well that in Thai perception a prison needs to be a bad place in order to make people afraid of doing wrong again and the fact that the ones who could change things are not concerned as they and their families are very unlikely to be jailed. Prison population is too small for being interesting to get their votes in the next election neither.

British tabloid crap....

Yes, we all agree Monkey house is a shitty place..... and it is supposed to be.... Not a 5 star hotel as we have seen they have in Norway.

Screaming out about human rights BS...... we all know about Thailand's records with those.....

As a sideline.... there must be some more to this story apart from the British guy not being able to establish 100K to stay out of Jail, because thats what it all boiled down to when the cookie crumbled....

Looking at the photo of where this alleged accident happened. is it me or is it not a little curious that a "fender bender" in a city village road like this would end in death, UNLESS somebody was speeding and not wearing helmets as required by law?

just wonder....

coffee1.gif

The difference between the two cases is that the Merc. driver had money and paid his way out (or at least his insurance company did), the Brit doesn't seem to be able to raise 100k Baht and apparently didn't have insurance otherwise he would have been able to post a bail bond.

Have you ever heard the saying 'two wrongs don't make a right' This guy killed someone, are you saying he doesn't deserve to be punished because a Thai person would have gotten away with it ?

Also are we expected to believe most inmates in Thai jails an non Thai.

Now hang on a minute ! This person might have killed themself , or the driver of the vehicle did, as they were riding in the dark "Without lights" So how can you blame this Englishman.

Yeah right..

Your comment reveals that you know nothing of the workings of a Thai prison. colinneil obviously does.

No, I don't think so. Not at all in fact.

Edited by Bluespunk

This is not a poor defenceless granddad, he's a 7th dan karate expert. There's a hell of a lot more to this story and so many posters are so far off the truth it's funny reading your posts. I'm not going to give any further details, it's up to Dave if he wants anyone to post on his behalf. Some of you need to write crime stories & prison stories as you are great fiction writers.

I do not know about this particular guy and his prison experience, but there have been a lot of foreigners over the years who have released books after being in Thai prisons and have made up accounts of abuse in order to help sell their books.

How do you know that they were "made up" accounts. Were you there with them ? rolleyes.gif

This is not a poor defenceless granddad, he's a 7th dan karate expert. There's a hell of a lot more to this story and so many posters are so far off the truth it's funny reading your posts. I'm not going to give any further details, it's up to Dave if he wants anyone to post on his behalf. Some of you need to write crime stories & prison stories as you are great fiction writers.

Why does Dave need anyone to post on his behalf? Can't he do it himself?

Anyway, it's no guarantee that TVF CSI will shut up even if the real Dave posts on here. It's just not in their nature.

Kill 9 people in a mini van and your family is (connected) no worries, you don't even have to do your community service.

Run over a cop in your Ferrari and drag him down the road killing him and go on holiday's too Singapore.

Smash your merc into the back of 2 students car incinerating them pay your way out just fines for bad driving.

Why has his lawyer not put these precedents forward to secure freedom for this bloke?

Now if your a flang and you don't have video evidence proving innocence's and sometimes even if you do, you will need a lot of cash just to stay out of the monkey house... Welcome to the land of scams...

Maybe if he killed a Thai and not a French tourist, he wouldn't need to tell what appears to be a made up story...

Plus, didn't he say he turned himself in? Only hit and run drivers do that -- on occasion..

Apparently, it's true for farangs living in Thailand as well...

If you're Thai, you can't go around kicking old tourist in the face..

And if you're a farang, you can't go around killing tourist with your motor bike.

Then again.. Many excused the actions of the old lady from Whales, when they saw the face kick by a Thai..

This old man farang may get a free manslaughter pass, just by claiming he was abused by Thai prison guards..

If he was 18 I might believe he was sexually abused, but 68 really ?

Grandad has been kissing the blarney stone ... lol. Joking aside, its hard to take this individual serious. Playing the victim with the expectation of receiving some form of special treatment. Maybe he is hoping that someone will have sympathy for him and send him money/food. Who knows?

So you're sure he is lying and deserved what happened to him?

How do you know - do you think he acts like you would?

scum

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed. whistling.gif

I believe the British granddad. After all, he is an old defenseless foreigner all by himself and Thai woman died.

As some of you have noted, when a Thai drives recklessly and kills innocent people, usually nothing of consequence happens but a foreigner

gets crucified every time.

Many of you laugh these events off believing it can't happen to you. You can stay here and wait your turn.

I am in this country not by choice. There is no doubt, level of violence and severe animosity towards foreigners has escalated dramatically over the years.

Even my wife said she is scared to go out.

We would feel safer and much more respected in another country as soon as my contract ends.

FRENCH NATIONAL not Thai.

Her French partner is the one reportedly pushing the case. He wants justice.

Justice =Thai for Money !

It's difficult to imagine living in a foreign country, and not being able to access B100K

Presumably also no health insurance?

Maybe I'm too conservative, but risk taking, with one's own future, seems a silly thing to do.