Adding Users..

Totster

I have just used my PC on the Administrator user since I bought it.

I wanted to add another user, but it first made me set up an administrator account first, which i did, then I set up the other user.

So when I restarted the two users were there.. but on the admin account I had lost all my desktop icons and settings. I could see the Administrator folder there, but it was not using those folders, but the folders for the new Admin account name.

So I did a system restore and it's back to how I want it..

The question is.. how can I add another user, without loosing the desktop and settings that I like.. ?

totster :o

The question is.. how can I add another user, without loosing the desktop and settings that I like.. ?

totster :o

Assuming you're using Windows XP or 2000... This procedure varies slightly under each flavor. In XP you will need three user accounts. (Two profiles plus your old favorite.)

1. While logged into the original account, create two new user accounts (if you don't already have them) and give full ADMINISTRATIVE permissions to those accounts.

2. Logon under each new user account. (This creates new profiles with which you can copy your favorite profile into.) Wait until after the default desktop loads and then Logoff.

3. Logon the number two or number three account. Right-click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, click on ADVANCED tab, under USER PROFILES and click the SETTINGS button.

4. Click on (highlight) the profile that contains the desktop settings that you enjoy (the old account you have used since the computer was new) and then choose COPY TO button. Select the other user profile that you want to have the same settings as your favorite profile. (On XP: Browse under C:\Documents and Settings... to locate those user profiles.)

Logoff and logon as the user you copied the desktop profile to. You should see the familiar desktop you have set under the other user that you copied from.

Optionally, you can then delete / rename / change privledges on the new user profile(s).

Edited by Rice_King