How To Increase Font Size

bonsaimax

Just bought a 19" widescreen whose recommended resolution is set at 1440 x 900. Photos and videos look great, except for the fonts which appear soooo small you could hardly read it.

Some websites/web pages make it possible to increase font size. While others like Thaivisa.com dont. I tried ignoring the Font Size and Style in my browser settings, but this messes up the format/layout of the page.

Is there a way of increasing the font size without rearranging the webpage? Can anyone with a widescreen monitor share what optimal settings you have got?

Cheers!

Sounds like you're using IE. Try firefox - it lets you change the font sizes on any page.

You could also try changing the Windows DPI settings in

Display Properties -> Advanced ->General

This will affect all programs.

Dear Bonsaimax,

I have downloaded IE7 so am not sure about IE6. You can alter text size but perhaps you have tried that. On IE7 there is a zoom facility (ctrl+) which means that I can type this with large text whilst the font size has not been altered (and is too small!!).

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

One thing I learned from many years of dial-upping here is the best browser of chice.

Opera.

First time you enter a site, let it load all the graphics.

Second time, change to "Cached image mode".

Lightning fast even on dial-up.

Changing the textsize is a breeze, just click the + or - for increase and decrease respectively for the font size.

Changing the textsize is a breeze, just click the + or - for increase and decrease respectively for the font size.

In Firefox, and I suspect IE, if you hold the CTRL key down and use your mouse scroll wheel it will zoom in and out dynamically.

In Firefox, and I suspect IE, if you hold the CTRL key down and use your mouse scroll wheel it will zoom in and out dynamically.

Tried it. Wont work on my PC. Thans as always, Tywais.

...but can IE6 or 7 be installed/used simultaneously with Firefox? Anybody done this?

Tried it. Wont work on my PC. Thans as always, Tywais.

...but can IE6 or 7 be installed/used simultaneously with Firefox? Anybody done this?

No problems at all. Actually everybody who has XP and installs Firefox is doing this already since IE is integrated into XP.

In my experience changing the IE font screws up the layout of too many web sites to be practical. I know it won't help in this case, but think the way to go is this: match ever higher resolutions with ever larger displays. Technically speaking, make sure you get a <=96 dpi display. That way your fonts are nice and big out of the box free from creating scaling issues.

Dear Bonsaimax,

How are you?

I have used IE6 and Firefox together without any apparent problem. Things have changed and I only use IE7. with some good and bad points.

Good - tabbed browsing. I tend to click and then lose where I have gone. If I can discipline myself into linking by tabs or another direction a new window it would be better organised. Another advantage is that you can open all the sites in a folder at once as separate tabs eg save 5 TV threads in one folder and then open all 5 at once.

I think the RSS feeds could be good but I haven't used my RSS reader recently.

Bad (although maybe good in the long run). I use outlook for mail and I think IE7 blocked the link connecting or Outlook did - I don't know. It's all Big Brother Gates. You have to click at the top in Outlook to remove the blocking and add it to Trusted sites in Internet Options Security of IE7. It is probably better but is an irritation and I didn't know it was happeneing to begin with.

A tekkie once told me, always upgrade as they add features to ake it better - then get used to it!

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z