Dengue fever death toll climbing this year

webfact

Dengue fever death toll climbing this year

df.jpg

BANGKOK, 13 June 2016 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has revealed that more than 18,000 people have come down with dengue fever since the beginning of this year.

Permanent Secretary for Public Health Sopon Mekthon said more than 18,300 people were infected with the dengue virus from January 1 to June 7, of whom 16 have died.

Although the number of dengue patients has fallen by 14% from last year, five more people were killed by the disease. The majority of infections have been occuring in the Central Plains.

To mitigate the dengue outbreak this year, the Ministry of Public Health has instructed related agencies to take a proactive approach to prevention, reducing the number of infections and curing those infected.

Dr. Sopon added that anyone whose fever does not show improvement after two days should visit their local hospital for medical attention, or call the hotline 1442 for advice.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-13 footer_n.gif

Has anyone seen a mosquito in the last few months?welcomeani.gif

I haven'tdrunk.gif

Now that the rains have started, I'm seeing more and more mosquitos.

most definitely and their behaviour is decidedly different in that they seem more evasive and I can't seem to hit as many with my battery tennis racketas I have in the past!blink.png

They are flying at different altitudes and are carrying outdifferent manoeuvres to those in the past so be warned!

There has been a pocket of dengue infections in the last 10 days in a village only 1 km away. 7 people so far and 3 have had severe and prolonged symptoms and fever requiring relocating from small hospital to main. 1 more who was visiting has now gone down with symptoms in BKK. The potential to create another pocket ! The generalmedical opinion is that the virus is stronger this year.And there is now suspicion that the virus can now be passed to new offspring of an infected female mosquito instead of only being acquired by biting an infected victim.

Perhaps luckily I have not yet seen/herd any mosquitos around my place as yet. But I regularly check for any possible breeding sites. Not that I can do much about what is just over the wall at the neighbours.sad.png

I have had dengue fever twice already with no major problems. But.... next time could be different. Beware people!