koh samet, worth a visit or not?

kharmabum

I'm considering heading to koh samet for a few days, but a lot of what i'm reading online has got me wondering if i should give it a miss. i'm not into nightlife or drinkng, just want a beautiful quiet beach away from the crowds. i'd also like to swim in the ocean. so i'm asking, is the water clean? i remember there was an oil spill a few years back. are the beaches littered with garbage? if i go it'd be on weekdays to avoid the weekend crowd.

thanks

Edited by kharmabum

Went for the day earlier this year. Used to go several times a year back in 2001 to 2005. It had certainly changed and was much more developed in the sai kaew beach area. Maybe some of the other beaches are still quiet.

Would be worth taking a speed boat trip around the island to see if any place looked ok.

TH

• 2 weeks later...

I will awkwardly be left with an extra few days after my GF leaves and haven't been to Samet in absolute ages, thought I may check it out for 3 nights, not too far

Damn, places seem to have got expensive for what you get. Also, not a lot of vacancies on the booking sites, I'd be turning up on a sunday, not sure if that affects things

It's Samet or Kanchanburi, can't decide

How's the distance between the most popular beaches, walkable or bike?

• 2 weeks later...