Marry in Thailand or Marry in Europe?

Hi Guys. Am new here so if this is posted in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I will keep it simple. I have attempted a lot of research online and to be honest I am actually none the wiser. Seems the verdict is 50-50 on this one.

Ultimately my Thai fiancee and myself wish to relocate to Europe. I have job offers in various countries. My only question is, will it be easier for her to make this move if we were already married (this will be a push as the job offers are all within the next 3 weeks) or to go first and bring her over after the 3 months? I know this is a variation on a post i put on the other day,but time is against me and i would like a more definite answer. I am a UK citizen, my fiancee is a Thai national. My divorce papers are in Greek as that is where i divorced. Thanks in advance.

Many countries limit immigration for non western people to spouses and children. Some (more modern nations legal wise?) also allow those 'in a durable relationship' or 'relationship akin to marriage' to immigrate.

So first you would have to see which EU /EEA country allows non married partners to immigrate and which ones require/force you to be married.

If you do marry you might be able to do so on a short stay visa. Denmark is well known for marrying EU-nonEU couples to marry on a short stay visa. You are a Brit, any chanche on marrying there on a regular visa? If I'd marry I would prefer to do so in either the country of my oen nationality or that of my spouse to be. Failimg that I'd opt for the country that I plan to reside in but who knows how long you will live there?

As you had a previous marriage you need make clear separation when you marry again :

- contract stipulating you will keep separate all money and assets you had before marriage (in case of eventual children in your first marriage) but you could stipulate you share fully all money and assets acquired after your second marriage.

- try to have the new marriage in the UK so that your new marriage papers will be easily understood in other countries (and also by you)

If Britain chooses to stay in the EU, the EU-based right of an EU citizen to have his non-EU family with him in a foreign EU land in which he is working will be removed in about 6 months time. I'd say there's a three month uncertainty in that date.

Rights under national law vary, and it is conceivable that there may be relaxation for EU citizens. Some countries, e.g. Spain, allow foreigner's wives to join after one year's residence, while the UK requires 5 years. France seems to require that a foreigner have a visa, which could be tricky for an EEA national to get.

If you marry in Thailand divorce is a lot easier and only costs 100 baht. There are also other benefits regarding property.

think you got this one wrong. as long as you dont marry in thailand your wife can not claim any of your assets here. OP avoid marrying if possible in either countries unless required for visa. nz just needs proof that you have been living together for long a long term visa and i would think UK would be similar as we generally follow englands laws. the act of getting married does not count for much any more, being defacto or common law does. ferang thai relationships dont tend to last very long so no point paying money for something you just have to pay more money to get out of later on.

If you marry in Thailand divorce is a lot easier and only costs 100 baht. There are also other benefits regarding property.

It took me two years to get a divorce in the UK and one hour in Thailand

Don't get married at all ! Leasing is simple in Thailand and you always can return the vehicle, in case you don't like it any longer...

Why buy a cow ,when you can milk your neighbor's ? There are also lots for rent by the hour/day/month/ETC.

It's better if you already have been married and she has brittish passport. But i would recommend you to take it easy and try a couple of months with a Schengen visa. You will have problems to come up with all papers etc if you plan to move around. And easy please. No hurry with the marriage

The advantages of renting over buying.

1. When you rent you can always pick the latest model.

2. No expensive repair bills.

3. When you are tired of your rental, it's easy to stop renting.

4. The rental is usually prepared nicely before delivery.

5. You only pay for what you use.

6. It's easy to rent something different each month, week, day, hour....

7. No hassles from the marque "club".

8. No disposal/recycling costs (these can be very high).

9. If it breaks down - rent another

10. You can rent more than one at the same time (my favourite!).

11. No long-term ownership issues

12. There are many more, this list is almost endless..

Oops! Just realized this topic is not about cars! ohmy.png

So, getting back on topic, I recall Mr Punch's advice for those about to marry: Dont!

• Like 1

You didn't give a third choice......NEITHER!!

You can take the girl out of Thailand, but you can't take Thailand out of the girl

See the title of the thread. Make a bet to myself how many posts before someone shows up and spouts some inane nonsense.

I reckoned the fourth post. And bang- right on cue.

Although I did think it'd be someone hilariously saying how you should rent rather than buy, so I got that wrong.

huh.png

• Like 1

The remarks regarding not getting married or going for a rental both don't help the OP with findin an answer to his questions and are may come across as a rather negative opinion on putting a ring onthe finger of a (Thai only?) woman. Assuming the OP is not a total dumbass who thins with his little head I assume he's perfectly capable of deciding if marriage is or is not his (their!!!) thing. The rather negative views towards marriage are more prominent on other and more relevant forum sections, personally I don't exactly think highly of people who stereotype all marriages as something terrible. To each their own, nobody forces you to marry or not to marry, respect the decision of others who think differently.

Going off topic here... Let's see how we can help the OP with some useful advice shall we?

• Like 1

As a UK citizen your wife will have zero right to join you in the UK.

As a British Citizen, I felt unwelcome in my own country after marrying a lady from Thailand. I live full time in Spain and after jumping through all the hoops to have our marriage recognised by the British Consul in Spain. My wife requested a visa to visit the UK for a 2-3 week holiday to meet my family and friends. The request cost €114 plus a mandatory visit to the Embassy in Madrid, 1,200 Km round trip which needed an overnight stay. Her application was refused because Ön the grounds of possibilities", they felt she was not sufficiently attached to Spain, would overstay and need the resources of the UK government.
If I wanted to resettle back in the UK, it would not be allowed unless my wife could read and write English to the required high standard. She would also have to pass a Knowledge of the UK examination which is so hard that the majority of born and bred English would fail as a pass requires 75% correct
You are welcome to the UK - I don't want it!

Wait until tomorrow after the result of the Brexit vote is known.

I married in Thailand and jumped through hoops to get an EEA Family member visa for my wife in 2013.

As soon as we arrived in Spain, we started the process for her to become registered with a Foreigners ID.

The process took almost 6 months and was frustrating and not free.

The Spanish Embassy in BKK advised that on arrival to Spain, start the process for ID and stay until it is completed.

Should you have to leave before completion, the authorities would be very suspicious of any subsequent attempt to register and they would make it harder for her.

If it would help, please PM me and I will dig up some notes I made on the process and costs.

Note that in the 3 years that have passed, some rules and costs may have changed.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

• Like 2

If Britain chooses to stay in the EU, the EU-based right of an EU citizen to have his non-EU family with him in a foreign EU land in which he is working will be removed in about 6 months time. I'd say there's a three month uncertainty in that date.

Rights under national law vary, and it is conceivable that there may be relaxation for EU citizens. Some countries, e.g. Spain, allow foreigner's wives to join after one year's residence, while the UK requires 5 years. France seems to require that a foreigner have a visa, which could be tricky for an EEA national to get.

Are you sure of your facts here? I do not think that the UK allows spouses to join partners in the UK based on 5 years of marriage elsewhere, if that is what you are saying.

Could you kindly post a link to an official confirmation of that,

Thank You

Are you sure of your facts here? I do not think that the UK allows spouses to join partners in the UK based on 5 years of marriage elsewhere, if that is what you are saying.

Thank You

Spain allowed my wife an EEA family Member, 90 day visa as soon as she applied for it after were married in BKK.

It took a while to comply with the security clearance certification, Health cert, translation of Marriage docs into Spanish and authenticated by MofFA in BKK.

About three months to actually get the visa.

Then within days of arriving in Spain, we started the process for registration as a resident of Spain. 5 months or so later, ID card issued.

This was very fast, I know of others who took much longer than that.

The docs were also translated into English and that helped with the UK Overseas Pensions Office.

Yes I'm retired so this could all be different for someone below retirement age, work permits etc.....

No, I'm saying that 5 years residence in the UK generally qualifies you to sponsor a spouse for settlement. The technical requirement is to be 'settled', which if you live in the UK can be achieved by:

1) Having right of abode (all British citizens have right of abode, and becoming a British citizen is now the only way to acquire it.);

2) Having Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR);

3) Having Permanent Residence, as defined by Directive 2004/38/EC; or

4) Being Irish, and entering from Ireland without leaving the Common Travel Area.

(I may have overlooked other routes.)

It always makes me laugh when people make negative comments about 'marrying a Thai', as though marrying a western woman is in some way much safer and betterbiggrin.png. The current divorce rate between UK couples is around 55%.

Slushyguy...I'm sure if you married in Thailand in an Amphur which takes about 15 minutes you would find it much easier to get visas for your wife to most other countries and good luck to you both if you do.

• Like 1

That is not true, it can take upto 2 years, and nothing has been planned yet. i live in Germany and use my Freedom of Movement, at this moment in time the issue has not even been looked at, the UK must first look at all the laws and decide which ones to keep and not. The only issue that is clear at the moment is that Child Benefit payments to Children of the Eastern Europeans living in the UK will be the first thing to be reduced or even removed.

• Like 1

Thank You

My wife joined me in Germany after 4 months of me being here, she came on a Tourist visa, registered herself with the local Government office then applied for a Residence Card, next step is after 5 years of being here applying for Permanent Residence.