So what did the Brexit supporters gain?

38 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

"The referrendum was called for one reason and one reason only, to forestall the Tory party falling appart."

The quoted post is just a pack of lies. And the biggest lie is the one I've singled out above. The referendum on brexit has been mooted since the start of Cameron's premiership.

It's time for the quoted poster to start being honest with the forum, starting with him coming clean about his German nationality. But he will very likely try to get this post deleted in order to further his dishonest agenda :(

The comment above is correct ... when Cameron writes and publishes his memoirs you'll get confirmation of it. The Tories have been tearing themselves apart for decades over Europe ... and Cameron was pressurised into agreeing a Referendum on the subject ... he hoped to kill the issue once and for all. 

Edited by AlexRich
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

No, you wouldn't. And as time progresses and the full implications of brevet become clear it will be even less attractive. That's why there are so many calls to silence remainers ... I notice demonstrations today in a number of cities ... we'll see more of that, and the legal challenge to May unilaterally triggering Article 50 will be interesting. Ironically, the last word on it's legality might be with the European Court. More fun and games ... something to look forward to, eh?

Rubbish. Brexiters have seen through the scaremongering that big companies would quickly pull out of the UK and that the economy would immediately crash. Remainers are clinging onto just about anything now to keep up the scaremongering. I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't so subversive. If another vote were held, the majority for brexit would be bigger. That's why remainers at the heart of government won't even entertain the idea.

3 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

so that is the basis for Brexit? How ell thought out - a brilliant piece of logic! you might also check out Spain's role in WW2 - but that's the sort of ignorance one has come to expect.

Reminds me of a similar encounter more than a decade ago less than 1km from my current location:

"Ze inglish do not rule ze world!" said a beligerent French bloke I had only just met via a 3rd party; getting my back up to say the least.

"No" I replied "but unlike the French they once did!" :) 

Edited by evadgib
See quote from Autanic in #1256
58 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

The comment above is correct ... when Cameron writes and publishes his memoirs you'll get confirmation of it. The Tories have been tearing themselves apart for decades over Europe ... and Cameron was pressurised into agreeing a Referendum on the subject ... he hoped to kill the issue once and for all. 

Citation please.

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

Rubbish. Brexiters have seen through the scaremongering that big companies would quickly pull out of the UK and that the economy would immediately crash. Remainers are clinging onto just about anything now to keep up the scaremongering. I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't so subversive. If another vote were held, the majority for brexit would be bigger. That's why remainers at the heart of government won't even entertain the idea.

If the Government fail to gain unfettered access to the EU market (which looks increasingly likely) then what do you believe that the 500 plus companies with European headquarters in the UK will do? They'll move to Europe, of course. They want access to the 500m people market, so they have no reason to stay in the UK. If the passport system for banks is dropped, what will some foreign banks do? They'll move to Europe. 

It's not scaremongering, it's common sense. Remainers at the heart of government have no choice, as they don't want to split their party ... but everyone else can continue to campaign against it, and those voices will only get stronger the worse the deal is.

7 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Citation please.

I suggest you read widely on the subject ... you won't find it in the Daily Mail. It is widely known. But as I state above, when the memoirs are published (you won't have to wait long) you'll get it straight from the horse mouth. 

I don't expect we'll get an apology from you though.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282

No, you wouldn't. And as time progresses and the full implications of brevet become clear it will be even less attractive. That's why there are so many calls to silence remainers ... I notice demonstrations today in a number of cities ... we'll see more of that, and the legal challenge to May unilaterally triggering Article 50 will be interesting. Ironically, the last word on it's legality might be with the European Court. More fun and games ... something to look forward to, eh?

The sky will fall on brexit Britain .....we just can't tell you exactly when.

By the way, can any remainers confirm when Sterling will go down to 1.20 against the US Dollar? I won't hold you to the exact month. The last remainer prediction for it has been and gone :D .

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

The sky will fall on brexit Britain .....we just can't tell you exactly when.

By the way, can any remainers confirm when Sterling will go down to 1.20 against the US Dollar? I won't hold you to the exact month. The last remainer prediction for it has been and gone :D .

Currency is notoriously difficult to predict, so no, I doubt anyone can. But watch the £ carefully on the day Article 50 is triggered ... one reason it has sustained so well (if a 10-15% fall is considered good?) is because Article 50 was not triggered ... in time.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

If the Government fail to gain unfettered access to the EU market (which looks increasingly likely) then what do you believe that the 500 plus companies with European headquarters in the UK will do? They'll move to Europe, of course. They want access to the 500m people market, so they have no reason to stay in the UK. If the passport system for banks is dropped, what will some foreign banks do? They'll move to Europe. 

It's not scaremongering, it's common sense. Remainers at the heart of government have no choice, as they don't want to split their party ... but everyone else can continue to campaign against it, and those voices will only get stronger the worse the deal is.

More 'If' speculation presented as pretty much a given. Like I said, you're hilarious, and I have the opinion that things will pan out quite differently to your predictions.  So far, events have backed up my opinions, however much you attempt to put a negative slant on those events.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

I suggest you read widely on the subject ... you won't find it in the Daily Mail. It is widely known. But as I state above, when the memoirs are published (you won't have to wait long) you'll get it straight from the horse mouth. 

I don't expect we'll get an apology from you though.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282

And I suggest you provide some evidence for your claim, rather than a 'wait and see' and indignant self -awarding of victory.

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

More 'If' speculation presented as pretty much a given. Like I said, you're hilarious, and I have the opinion that things will pan out quite differently to your predictions.  So far, events have backed up my opinions, however much you attempt to put a negative slant on those events.

You get your confirmation from the mirror on the wall - confirmation bias. You rubbish the claim that Cameron was pressured by his own MPs to call a referendum ... you appear to be deluding yourself. You claim that the UK economy is strong, thereby 'proving' that the doomsayers are wrong, but fail to recognise that you are referring to an economy that has been created within the EU - an EU that the UK is still in. You're not hilarious, just illogical.

Can you show me an article from a respected economist or politician or journalist who states that the UK economy would collapse two months after the vote? These are your words, no one else's ... you've built your own 'strawman' so that you can knock it down. The argument is that the UK will be poorer outside the EU and will have slower growth. We're not outside the EU, we have not even handed in our notice yet.

We say "if" because Article 50 has not been triggered, what the Government want from the negotiations is not known, and what will be on offer from the EU is not known. 

5 hours ago, GuestHouse said:

The references to Muslems, immigrants and refugees amongst Brexit supporters suggests you are a bit of an oddity.

That you did not believe £millions for the NHS is just as well, it was a lie.

Unfortunately very many did believe it.

This guy sees racism coming out of the wallpaper. Which is odd for someone who has made borderline racist comments about us British in the past. He couldn't possibly be posting with an agenda, could he?

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

And I suggest you provide some evidence for your claim, rather than a 'wait and see' and indignant self -awarding of victory.

We're discussing something that is well known, and widely written about by journalists who are political insiders. The idea that Cameron was not under pressure from the Eurosceptics in his party is patently false ... and of all the points to refute, this one is the most ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Then if it is so well-known, provide the evidence for it.

Try Google, i'm not your secretary. Or make a pre-order for David Cameron's memoirs ... let's face it, if he called you on the phone and confirmed it, you'd still maintain it's not true. 

"Ultimately, Cameron only has himself to blame.

Back in January 2013, the prime minister committed to an In-Out referendum on Britain’s membership in the EU. He chose to make this pledge to try to unite his Conservatives, see off a challenge from the rising populist party UKIP and put Labour, unwilling to countenance a vote on the EU, on the back foot.

When Cameron triumphed in last year’s parliamentary election, becoming the first Conservative leader in 23 years to win a majority in the House of Commons, he was boxed in on Europe. He had promised voters to strike a new deal with Brussels on the British terms of membership and hold a vote before the end of 2017."

http://www.politico.eu/article/how-david-cameron-lost-brexit-eu-referendum-prime-minister-campaign-remain-boris-craig-oliver-jim-messina-obama/

52 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

This is a top post. It Illustrates the nativity that the remain camp supporters have swallowed the bull the big business and bank have been pumping out for months. It seems they got AlexRich to drink the "spiked" tea.

1. What EU market ? The place is imploding, thats the who point. We buy things from them yes, but they also buy a lot from us. 

2. Why would we care where a company was headquartered, from what I see on the news, Google, Apple, etc and about 50 others are based out of Ireland or Malta but still do business here. The fact is most companies in the UK are evading tax in any case, so what does it matter where there post gets sent to.

3.If a foreign bank like Santander, wants to move to Europe, be my guess. They will still operate branches here. If a load of city boys lose their job, well that just tough imo. They take massive bonus throughout the recession and boom, while everyday people are stitching together two ends of a budget that meet for a few days a month. Good riddance.

30 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

This guy sees racism coming out of the wallpaper. Which is odd for someone who has made borderline racist comments about us British in the past. He couldn't possibly be posting with an agenda, could he?

How can I British Person make borderline comments about "us" British in the past. Can you provide us with an example of my self loathing.

No I have not got an agenda, beside Brexit that it.

Correction, I may have made a comment on the Scottish wanting yet another referendum on Independence. After all I am English, so that is to be expected.

Edited by autanic
2 minutes ago, autanic said:

This is a top post. It Illustrates the nativity that the remain camp supporters have swallowed the bull the big business and bank have been pumping out for months. It seems they got AlexRich to drink the "spiked" tea.

1. What EU market ? The place is imploding, thats the who point. We buy things from them yes, but they also buy a lot from us. 

2. Why would we care where a company was headquartered, from what I see on the news, Google, Apple, etc and about 50 others are based out of Ireland or Malta but still do business here. The fact is most companies in the UK are evading tax in any case, so what does it matter where there post gets sent to.

3.If a foreign bank like Santander, wants to move to Europe, be my guess. They will still operate branches here. If a load of city boys lose their job, well that just tough imo. They take massive bonus throughout the recession and boom, while everyday people are stitching together two ends of a budget that meet for a few days a month. Good riddance.

My post was no where near as good as yours in illustrating the low IQ of the average brexit voter. Strangely, in London, Cambridge and Oxford, they voted Remain ... no coincidence that is where the brains of England reside.

1) 500m plus market without tariffs. These companies did not locate in the UK for the 60m Britons. Some of the wealthiest and most successful companies are in Europe ... imploding ... you really are a joker. 

2) HQ's matter because of job creation and investment. They pay taxes, large salaries, and create business in the surrounding areas. If Nissan and Toshiba move from Sunderland, there will be no impact?

3) The City of London pays large salaries and bonuses, 40% of which end up in the coffers of the Treasury. London in fact subsidises the rest of the UK, it's lower projected taxes will affect the ability of the UK to fund other areas. 

You voted to be poorer ... deal with it.

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

My post was no where near as good as yours in illustrating the low IQ of the average brexit voter. Strangely, in London, Cambridge and Oxford, they voted Remain ... no coincidence that is where the brains of England reside.

1) 500m plus market without tariffs. These companies did not locate in the UK for the 60m Britons. Some of the wealthiest and most successful companies are in Europe ... imploding ... you really are a joker. 

2) HQ's matter because of job creation and investment. They pay taxes, large salaries, and create business in the surrounding areas. If Nissan and Toshiba move from Sunderland, there will be no impact?

3) The City of London pays large salaries and bonuses, 40% of which end up in the coffers of the Treasury. London in fact subsidises the rest of the UK, it's lower projected taxes will affect the ability of the UK to fund other areas. 

You voted to be poorer ... deal with it.

You really do believe what you wrote don't you. You have my condolences on your naivety. 

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Again i say "you wish" but have no evidence to back you up , by the way do you live on here?:)

13 hours ago, GuestHouse said:

The references to Muslems, immigrants and refugees amongst Brexit supporters suggests you are a bit of an oddity.

That you did not believe £millions for the NHS is just as well, it was a lie.

Unfortunately very many did believe it.

Just like many voted to remain because they were told the sky would fall in and that taxes would immediatly rise etc etc ,that has not happened so they may now vote to leave as they realize they were lied too , it cuts both ways

I need to make a correction to a previous post that I made on this thread.

I previously claimed that the £ would start to rise significantly against the euro starting in October when the ECB's euro 1.1 Trillion QE came to an end.

What I had somehow missed, was that the ECB had already kicked the can further down the road and had already extended the QE period by a further 6 months until March 2017. Not only did they extend the period by 6 months, they also raised the QE from euro 60 Billion a month to euro 80 Billion a month.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/mario-draghi-extends-quantitative-easing-what-the-ecb-decision-means-for-savings-and-mortgages-a6758876.html

I am not an economist and I do not claim to be. However, if the QE that was put in place did not have the desired effect over the past 18 months, I fail to see how extending and increasing the amount QE for 6 months is going to have the desired effect either.

This can only be kicked further down the road for so long before it explodes. There is going to be big problems in the EZ in the not too distant future and the more the UK can isolate itself from that fallout the better it will be for the UK. Brexit is only the 1st step in that process of isolation.

Worth reading and digesting

That the Eurozone economy is still struggling after everything that has been thrown at it almost beggars belief. In terms of stimulus, it is hard to know how much more of a following wind the euro area could have had. It’s been positively gale force. Austerity has been effectively ended, interest rates have been cut below zero, the economy has been flooded with newly printed money, the euro was devalued and to cap it all, there has been the monumental boost to disposable incomes provided by the low oil price.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/03/brexit-shock-threatens-to-do-far-more-damage-to-the-european-eco/

Assuming MIFID is implemented in 2018 as planned then (seemingly by luck rather than planning) the banks shouldn't be impacted http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3664539/British-banks-thrive-Europe-Loophole-allow-lenders-doing-business-reforms-set-introduced-2018.html

25 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Again i say "you wish" but have no evidence to back you up , by the way do you live on here?:)

As stated ... the 'evidence' that you put up is that the UK economy has not collapsed, so the remain concerns were wrong?

The UK has not left the EU, the economic figures you are referring to are for an economy still in the EU and built up over 40 odd years within it ... in other words, your evidence is no evidence at all, except of course that the UK did very well with the EU ... a point well made that I happen to agree with. 

Tell us how great things are when the UK is outside the EU dealing with whatever terms it is handed by them? 

You have simply made up your own narrative ("if the UK doesn't collapse in two months you are wrong") ... a strawman ... so that you can knock it and claim that your opinion is backed by facts. The point that is being made is that the UK will be considerably less well off outside of the EU ... as that has not happened yet, your request for 'evidence' makes little sense, as do you.

Live on here? Pot and kettle come to mind. :-)  

1 minute ago, JB300 said:

Assuming MIFID is implemented in 2018 as planned then (seemingly by luck rather than planning) the banks shouldn't be impacted http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3664539/British-banks-thrive-Europe-Loophole-allow-lenders-doing-business-reforms-set-introduced-2018.html

This is Money ... a Daily Mail newspaper article - one of the main Brexit backers. Look at the Weekend Financial Times today ... indicating that a 'hard Brexit' would eliminate 20% of London bank revenues. The 'loophole' is nonsense ... and everyone in the Banking industry know it, that's why they are trying to get May to get agreements on passporting before triggering Article 50.

Fifth of City revenues could be hit by ‘hard Brexit’ ... today's FT.

11 hours ago, autanic said:

How can I British Person make borderline comments about "us" British in the past. Can you provide us with an example of my self loathing.

No I have not got an agenda, beside Brexit that it.

Correction, I may have made a comment on the Scottish wanting yet another referendum on Independence. After all I am English, so that is to be expected.

I was referring to Guest House, not you.

As stated ... the 'evidence' that you put up is that the UK economy has not collapsed, so the remain concerns were wrong?

The UK has not left the EU, the economic figures you are referring to are for an economy still in the EU and built up over 40 odd years within it ... in other words, your evidence is no evidence at all, except of course that the UK did very well with the EU ... a point well made that I happen to agree with. 

Tell us how great things are when the UK is outside the EU dealing with whatever terms it is handed by them? 

You have simply made up your own narrative ("if the UK doesn't collapse in two months you are wrong") ... a strawman ... so that you can knock it and claim that your opinion is backed by facts. The point that is being made is that the UK will be considerably less well off outside of the EU ... as that has not happened yet, your request for 'evidence' makes little sense, as do you.

Live on here? Pot and kettle come to mind. :-)  

No strawman. Remainers were claiming that the UK economy would start to collapse immediately after the brexit vote, and that Sterling would stay in freefall. It all turned out to be a load of scaremongering Tosh.