Thailand tourism faces uncertainty over Brexit fallout

rooster59

I now come from the only native English speaking country in the EU....(just thought I'd let you know).

Alright, you're next. And once we got rid of the last native English speakers we will introduce a common language for the EU: Latin!

biggrin.png

My suggestion is to rename the language used on the island British. To most English speakers in the world it's almost unintelligible.

There are other benefits too: soon we'll be able to drop the UK and GB confusions and have Scotland, Ireland and England.

Edited by DrTuner

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No No No, nothing ever affects tourism here. I know because the minister keeps telling us how wonderful things are even if there's a nuclear war somewhere in that world outside.

Ironically, a major war in a developed nation could see savvy retirees pile in here like nobody's business. The under 50s (who can survive on heir wits) will go to Cambodia. But if Thailand does not take better overall care of the few farangs it 'hosts' we may all end up there anyway.

If Nicola Sturgeon tries to use this result as an excuse to have another earlier referendum in Scotland, and wins, that really would damage the £. We haven't see anything yet!

If Nicola gets another referendum vote. The EU may well be finished by then.

Dr Turner said: My suggestion is to rename the language used on the island British. To most English speakers in the world it's almost unintelligible.

There are other benefits too: soon we'll be able to drop the UK and GB confusions and have Scotland, Ireland and England.

Wry and True ?

Edited by dhream

My granddaughter and her boyfriend are planning 6 months in Thailand.

I don't think they give a hoot about the exchange rate.

It is what it is and if they have enough GBP to pay for the holiday is all they care about.

If Nicola Sturgeon tries to use this result as an excuse to have another earlier referendum in Scotland, and wins,

We haven't see anything yet!

If Nicola gets and wins independence, there will be a lot of people needed to build a border, to stop migrants coming to UK via Scotland.

If Nicola Sturgeon tries to use this result as an excuse to have another earlier referendum in Scotland, and wins,

We haven't see anything yet!

If Nicola gets and wins independence, there will be a lot of people needed to build a border, to stop migrants coming to UK via Scotland.

Sorry I deleted a comment because I initially misunderstood this as meaning a Scots 'invasion' of unskilled labour.

I don't think a big border will be needed as geographically, Scotland is as challenging to reach as England. And we'd certainly not be able to sustain a Schengen style port of entry anyway.

They'd be told to 'get tae £#@' at the airport.

Even assuming EU free movement England's own new system of checks and balances would make sneaks and refugees arriving via Scotland unable to find work or shelter.

So I doubt if it will be a major issue.

No matter what nations do enterprising, desperate, or criminal elements will always 'have a go' the less sharp of the Brexiters seem to think that come Monday, all the 'foreigners' will be magically vanished or something.

I'd guess there are at least a tenth maybe much more of UK citizens now who were born overseas or are 1st generation Brits.

Edited by dhream

Not sure what the rate is now, but at one point yesterday I was set for an equivalent drop of over 35,000thb per month in my monthly salary,, paid in UK pounds but more than 95% of my spending is done in thailand,, so for sure it will have an impact

I assume you live and work here so you are NOT a tourist even though you get paid in British pounds.

If I lost 35,000 Baht a month I couldn't survive, but then again I get paid in Thai Baht and with the drop in the value of the pound it makes it cheaper for me to go to England.

The topic is "Thailand tourism faces uncertainty over Brexit fallout" and without doubt it will hit tourism from Europe. The Chinese , however will still come in huge numbers and TAT will boast of higher tourist arrivals.

In all the years I, along with my wife and 3 kids, traveling to places we wanted to see, we never once let the value of the pound worry us. Our first trip to the USA the $ was exchanging at over $1.60 to the £. We went again the next year and it was down to around $1.40, but we still went.

I don't know anyone who lets the exchange rate worry them.

There are many that think about. You are lucky you are well paid.

I know of factory workers in England that save every penny for their yearly summer holiday and make a strict budget about how much they can spend. Ask them to go out and eat at a nice restaurant and they will say they can't afford it.

I teach Tourism at a university and often the students interview tourists from the whole of Europe. It isn't so unusual to hear that they are on a tight budget.

A 20% drop in the value of the pound and uncertainty of the entire economic situation will certainly put many off of their summer holidays.

Not sure what the rate is now, but at one point yesterday I was set for an equivalent drop of over 35,000thb per month in my monthly salary,, paid in UK pounds but more than 95% of my spending is done in thailand,, so for sure it will have an impact

You must have quite a salary so why worry. Its a drop in the bucket to you. 35,000 baht hmm close to my monthly budget.

You must have quite a salary so why worry. Its a drop in the bucket to you. 35,000 baht hmm close to my monthly budget.
I second that it's close to my budget too.

The pound will soon recover once the Greeks or the US Fed or China do something idiotic. Judging by how these 3 alone have bumbled along since the GFC on blind luck mostly, they won't disappoint!

Edited by dhream

There's only one thing for it; stop propping up the baht and let it settle naturally back to 75 to the pound. wink.png

Let it settle at 75 to the pound would mean it had to settle at 130 to the dollar laugh.png

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Unless the USD and GBP were pegged at a rate to mandate that.

vernon,erik, dieter will still turn up, just buying more beer at 7-11 than at a soi-6 bar.

no more ftse,dax and wall st leads, it should be the pattaya 7-11 index as the market guide.

55555, Funniest post of the monthgigglem.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Yeah, it's really going to affect tourism

Must be up there with tsunami's, coups and road deaths.

droll very droll

such posters as you should remain above this, all respect meant.

leave that to forum bottom feeders like me

wai2.gif

There's only one thing for it; stop propping up the baht and let it settle naturally back to 75 to the pound. wink.png

Let it settle at 75 to the pound would mean it had to settle at 130 to the dollar laugh.png

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Unless the USD and GBP were pegged at a rate to mandate that.

because soon a pound will trade at 60 cents to the dollar.

vernon,erik, dieter will still turn up, just buying more beer at 7-11 than at a soi-6 bar.

no more ftse,dax and wall st leads, it should be the pattaya 7-11 index as the market guide.

55555, Funniest post of the monthgigglem.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

if you got a bit of rocker sense of humour you got it

be careful there is some really dismal pucks on this forum

This report is a pure propaganda statement from the TaT..now they've realised just how far the European tourist-figures have plummeted this year so far..mainly thanks to Thai locals & their stabbing, mugging, raping, killing, & face-kicking expertise, not to mention the spate of road & sea related tourist-deaths..Always, always blame an outside element/factor to cover the real truth..Thai way!

Doubt it will have more than a slight affect on visitors from the UK.

More interesting: has anyone considered how the UK referendum vote might influence the people of Thailand in their forthcoming referendum? The Thai people might be inspired to be brave...

No No No, nothing ever affects tourism here. I know because the minister keeps telling us how wonderful things are even if there's a nuclear war somewhere in that world outside.

Oh so true. Whenever tourism numbers drop off from one area of the world Thailand just says it was offset by increased numbers from another part of the world.

In the Thai Universe, it's impossible to hurt Thailand tourism numbers for any significant amount of time...it's just not a law of physics (or tourism) allowed in the Thai Universe. Speaking such nonsense is considered heresy.

I go in and out of Suvarnibhumi Airport 2 times a month and I can tell you it is the quietest I have seen in 6 years. If not for the Chinese it would be a breeze for immigration procedures.

The Canadian dollar is down almost 24% against the US dollar and then figure in the 6% cost of buying the US dollar..and now the equals at least 30%.....with the Thai Bhat seemingly tied to the US dollar and now you have the CDN dollar down 30% against the Thai Bhat. The same to be said for the AUS dollar

I don't think the Thai ex-pat situation is unduly affected.....(yes you will get 5 Baht less for your pound---until the dust settles)

But look at Britain's largest ex-pats population, Spain.......so many 1,000s of houses & villas have been brought there over the years. I wonder if the situation will affect that..................................coffee1.gif

You are dead right there. Let me give some examples as to why as an English expat in Thailand remain or brexit makes no difference to me:

If I return to England not entitled to NHS treatment until I have stayed there for 6 months (no change there)

When I receive my State pension if living in Thailand, it will be frozen forever from the day I receive it although I have paid my full NI stamp contributions (no change there)

Not entitled to open an onshore bank account in England that pays interest because I’m a non-resident, treated like a foreigner although I have not officially emigrated to become a citizen of another country. The offshore accounts all pay less interest than the onshore accounts, so I can’t benefit from any good deals if the onshore banks have them on offer (no change there)

Not entitled to any UK social security benefits if I ever need them while living in Thailand although I have paid into the system all my working life, never been unemployed or claimed benefits (no change there)

As a resident in Thailand I am entitled to nothing, must totally 100% pay my own way, can’t pay, can’t stay, yet have absolutely no support from my own country`s system I have paid into for most of my life because I am considered a non resident there although I am a true blue British citizen (no change there)

While living in Thailand I am not using the UK NHS service or claiming any UK benefits or allowances, yet I am still taxed on my UK company pension and pitence savings interest, receiving virtually no interest on my offshore savings and my State pension will be frozen, it’s as if I am locked into a no man’s land, almost like being Stateless, almost a foreigner in the UK and a foreigner in Thailand, entitled to nothing yet still paying my way for services I am no longer entitled to receive (no change there)

In fact I would be better off and entitled to more if I were a Syrian refugee illegally entering Britain and claiming political asylum. And why I did not bother to vote in this EU referendum.

Edited by cyberfarang

Why would Thailand tourism face uncertainty over the Brexit 'fallout'. It will not make one bit of difference. Not one British tourist will say 'Oh we can't go to Thailand this year because we have left the EU'. Not one German tourist will say 'oh we can't go to Thailand this year because the UK left the EU'.

The graph shown above is disingenuous as the end of day trading was back up significantly. The freefall at the start of the market was caused by wan*er traders selling off like crazy only to buy back when prices hit 8-9% lower than they were, it was a set-up.

The British pound ended 9% down yesterday (at one point fell 10%).

It is expected to fall more over the coming weeks.

I think many tourists that come here from UK are on a tight budget. The fall in the value of the pound, increasing costs, higher taxes (predicted) will certainly make some of them consider their "dream holiday in Thailand".

It may not be so many , but it certainly will be felt.

Maybe, but I doubt it. The pound may stabilize at a marginally lower level than prior to the vote, but it won't just keep moving lower. The prospect of a falling (maybe "collapsing" was actually the word they tended to use...) pound was a prominent scaremongering tactic for those opposing Brexit, but it'll bounce off a bottom here in the near term and then stabilize. The effect on Thai tourism - probably minimal. But I'll qualify that in saying that the talks that'll now be taking place between UK and EU negotiators, depending on how heated they get and how dragged out they are, could send the pound gyrating a bit. Enough to make Brits stay home? I sort of doubt it.

There's an "action vs equal & opposite reaction" thing at work here. A lower pound may make foreign travel a bit pricier for Brits, but it also means British exports get cheaper for foreign buyers. Efforts by Brussels to offset that with tariffs or other restrictions on access to EU markets by the UK might not sit well with the remaining EU members, and Brussels roiling the EU waters further at this particular point might not be such a great idea...

Why would Thailand tourism face uncertainty over the Brexit 'fallout'. It will not make one bit of difference. Not one British tourist will say 'Oh we can't go to Thailand this year because we have left the EU'. Not one German tourist will say 'oh we can't go to Thailand this year because the UK left the EU'.

The graph shown above is disingenuous as the end of day trading was back up significantly. The freefall at the start of the market was caused by wan*er traders selling off like crazy only to buy back when prices hit 8-9% lower than they were, it was a set-up.

A few might be disturbed by 45 baht to the pound when they were thinking of 50, similarly in £ terms flight and accommodation costs will be higher. Might be very good for UK tourism though.