Thailand's Fiber Optic Networks

ilyushin

Recently, I was reading about the installation of various tsunami warning systems and the application of fiber optics and the article mentioned Thailand has a massive fiber optic network with 565 Mbit/s speed. :o I can't find it. :D

After several advance searches, I cannot find any real updated ( mostly 1998-2002 ) information on fiber optics in Thailand. Thought possibly an engineer working on a current project or also some person with a common interest could point me in the right direction for good reading on Thailand's Fiber Optic Network. :D

Searched the TV site, nadda. Never been discussed so I thought it would be a nice new thread that might get us all up to speed too. :D

Hmmmmmm!!!! why do I suspect that it is being used as the backbone for the cellular networks in Thailand and that its existence or location has been surpressed as it was not in the interest of those particlular communications firms.

However, if someone could find the network and then be authorized to use it, could revolutionize the communications industry here. This is hidden GOLD! There is more than adequate bandwidth on a single fiber for all the cellular calls and very HIGH SPEED internet for the masses. You cannot imagine what amount of business that would draw to this country.

Right now Thailand is hurting with bandwidth and points for access to ADSL. Heck even the local and albeit modern TOT facility in Kamphaeng Phet, does not even have ADSL access and must use one of it's own ipStar Sat dishes just to be connected to the net. Seems ludicrous!!!

Hmmmmmm!!!! why do I suspect that it is being used as the backbone for the cellular networks in Thailand and that its existence or location has been surpressed as it was not in the interest of those particlular communications firms.

However, if someone could find the network and then be authorized to use it, could revolutionize the communications industry here. This is hidden GOLD! There is more than adequate bandwidth on a single fiber for all the cellular calls and very HIGH SPEED internet for the masses. You cannot imagine what amount of business that would draw to this country.

Right now Thailand is hurting with bandwidth and points for access to ADSL. Heck even the local and albeit modern TOT facility in Kamphaeng Phet, does not even have ADSL access and must use one of it's own ipStar Sat dishes just to be connected to the net. Seems ludicrous!!!

I think they might want to use it for 3G one of these days.

I can confirm that AIS recently installed massive fiber optics that lead to their mobile masts. I looked at the end of one of those rather thick cables, and there was like a 5mm diameter fiber optic line inside. HUGE!!!

Surely someone knows more. This fiber network proabably belongs to the Government through TOT. I live near one of those towers (about 7 km) and we have been promised phone lines by local politicians (TRT) for 8 years now. Of course it never happened as everything went cellular including the pay phones, even though a bill was passed years ago allocating a lot of money for the phone infrastructure.

Heck for the 8,000 baht a month that I pay now for my high speed ipStar (and it is high speed) I could have paid for a direct phone line to my house with repeaters allowing for high speed ADSL service.

Worked a little yesterday and came up with the follwoing:

• -TOT- Transmission Network Expansion Project, the nationwide fiber optic backbone throughout Thailand for TOT Corporation Public Company Limited Contractor Italian Thai Development (ITD) has installed 11,000 km of fiber optic cable ranging from 24 fibers to 216 fibers, equivalent to 786,880 fibers-km.

• -CAT company has fiber optical lines connected with ASEAN countries through a number of cable networks and uses satellite services such as IntelSat, Asiasat, Palapa, and Globalstar. Thailand recently developed multi-channel distribution system. More than 50,000+ units are up in Bangkok, and 100,000+ units expected in the next year. Thaikom has built many services for tele-education, and for commercial social messages as well. Video-on-demand are delivered to homes by fiber optic cables. Current projects for IT development include: Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN), Metropolitan Area Network, EDI, and ATM.

• -AIS Operator Unconfirmed cable network distance.

• -DTAC Operator, Unconfirmed cable network distance.

• Jasmine Operator underwater optics

• MEA Various cables in 3 central provinces. MEA and Free Internet representatives say the Fiber-to-the-Home project will offer a ''triple play'' of services -- voice, Internet and television -- all from a single channel. Fiber optics offers the potential for transmission rates of up to 100 megabits per second, or 200 times the transmission speed of normal dial-up modems. Estimated 2000Km plus.

• -PEA 2,100km plus fiber optic cables PEA to have a state-of-the-art, high-capacity optical fiber transmission backbone network in central and eastern regions of Thailand.

• -EGAT Operator, Unconfirmed cable network distance.

• UIH (TA) Operator Unconfirmed cable network distance.

• Royal Thai Air Force, Unconfirmed RTAF reports 30km of FO cable. The project involved installation services for eight cores of fiber-optic cable to serve the Thai air force's radar system. Wireline: FIBER

• Royal Thai Navy Opticaal Cable 8F ( ADSS) (MM6+SM2) 20 km

• Thai Airways private line from Headquarters to new airport the total is about 30km plus

• -T-V-H (Thailand-Vietnam-Hong Kong) Cable laid 3,367 km is a submarine telecommunications cable system in the South China Sea linking Thailand, Vietnam, and Hong Kong.It has landing points in:Sri Racha, Chonburi Province, Thailand Vũng Tàu, Bà Rịa–Vũng Tàu Province, Vietnam Deep Water Bay, Southern District, Hong Kong It has a transmission capacity of 565 Mbit/s, and a total cable length of 3,367 km. It started operation on 8 February 1996. Note: More details on TVH below.

• UNINET - ICT infrastructure connecting all universities, institutions, and campuses in the country, called 'UniNet', by establishing ATM network via 155 Mbps bandwidth fiber optics; the infrastructure will connect the networks in Bangkok to the rural provinces through digital leased lines with 2 Mbps (E1) bandwidth

Still no reliable figures and who really controls the network. I expect TOT and CAT are fighting over it.

:o

You can pick out the fiber networks on this map (look at the legend).

http://www.cat.net.th/internetmap/bigmap.html

I've seen other maps like this but can't find the links.

Take a look at www dot adslthailand dot com as there is a lot of information available there.

I suspect most of the fiber currently installed is dark (unlit, not currently utilised). For data-, telecommunications, transportation (e.g.: laying fiber along rail-lines) companies which are publicly traded you may be able to get more information about their facilities from their Prospectuses, and other public record documents.

Edited by lomatopo

You can pick out the fiber networks on this map (look at the legend).

http://www.cat.net.th/internetmap/bigmap.html

I've seen other maps like this but can't find the links.

Take a look at www dot adslthailand dot com as there is a lot of information available there.

I suspect most of the fiber currently installed is dark (unlit, not currently utilised). For data-, telecommunications, transportation (e.g.: laying fiber along rail-lines) companies which are publicly traded you may be able to get more information about their facilities from their Prospectuses, and other public record documents.

Highly appreciated and interesting.

Great map. I appreciate the additional web site too.

I will post any new info.

I suspect most of the fiber currently installed is dark (unlit, not currently utilised).

I was chatting to a guy from NECTEC last week and he mentioned that Thailand has a lot of dark fiber.

There are a lot of people at TOT and CAT who are also "unlit". :o

I suspect most of the fiber currently installed is dark (unlit, not currently utilised).

I was chatting to a guy from NECTEC last week and he mentioned that Thailand has a lot of dark fiber.

There are a lot of people at TOT and CAT who are also "unlit". :D

Very true "unlit". I live near TOT and dropped by the PR Dept who sent me to the EXPERT. He gave me little info and expressed the negative relations between TOT and CAT these days.

Also called NECTEC and asked for the fiber optics expert and was connected. He told me he didn't know how much or who owns/ operates the FO. I was told to contact TOT. :o

Next week I hope to vist NECTEC and AIT on the subject. Seems there is no real data on the subject. :D

:D

• 1 month later...

Any communication engineers on the forum that would be able to contribute to the thread on basic network of fiber optics in Thailand? With all the fuss over the broken cable off Taiwan, I can see more interest in the cables and base stations (cell sites).

Happy.)

This may be beside the point, but the Swedish parliament took a decision to connect the entire country with a fiberoptic backbone in the nineties. The cables were put in the ground, but the problem in many places was, despite the fact that the fat, shiny new cable was safely buried in the ground within one kilometre of most cities, it was not utilized due to local ISPs (in Sweden many cable TV providers started to use their cable network to provide relatively low speed broadband (max 512 kbps)) fighting with various methods to keep their monopoly on the market.

Perhaps the same thing is the problem here? Or maybe the ISPs are waiting to make sure CATs monopoly on int. bandwidth is gone, and then will fire up their respective infra structures. All just speculation on my part though.

This may be beside the point, but the Swedish parliament took a decision to connect the entire country with a fiberoptic backbone in the nineties. The cables were put in the ground, but the problem in many places was, despite the fact that the fat, shiny new cable was safely buried in the ground within one kilometre of most cities, it was not utilized due to local ISPs (in Sweden many cable TV providers started to use their cable network to provide relatively low speed broadband (max 512 kbps)) fighting with various methods to keep their monopoly on the market.

Perhaps the same thing is the problem here? Or maybe the ISPs are waiting to make sure CATs monopoly on int. bandwidth is gone, and then will fire up their respective infra structures. All just speculation on my part though.

Meadish your reply is helpful. It seems like a high possibility of investors awaiting CAT to be pushed out of the position. I expect NTC will issue some new information on the fiber optics and cell sites due to the upcoming 3G permits.

Thanks again Meadish!