Walking in the troubled South - 'C'est formidable!" and safe say French mum and son on world tour

webfact

Walking in the troubled South - 'C'est formidable!" and safe say French mum and son on world tour

p2.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A French mother and son who are walking around the world have given the thumbs up to the troubled southern Thai provinces saying they are safe and the people are lovely.

And they will be passing on their good feelings as they complete their circumnavigation of the globe.

The happy story comes after another earlier this week in which the British Embassy cautioned against all but essential travel to the far south. Violence and terrorism in recent years has seen thousands killed in Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat provinces.

But it was all smiles yesterday as intrepid Gallic walkers Dominique Drasseur and her adopted son Nicholas Quene were received heartily by officials in the town of Betong on the Malaysian border in Yala.

The pair left Phuket in February and said they had completed 1,460 kilometers all on foot so far.

"We decided to walk around the world," said Nicholas. There is no schedule. If we are tired we stop. We have had great support from Thai people with accommodation and food. That is what the world is all about".

Mum said that they had visited many beautiful coastal places and mountains so far and had received great support from everyone along the way. But she mentioned the three southern provinces in particular.

"Many concerned foreign friends and even Thai official had said that it would not be safe here", said Dominique."But we have not found that to be the case at all. There are so many lovely places to visit and the people are so friendly.

"It is not scary as has been reported in the news. We will pass on our experiences to others as we travel further," she added.

The couple plan to walk into Malaysia today on the next stage in their epic journey. The story was shared 39,000 times online, reported sanook.com.

Source: Sanook

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-29

They are right, the three southern most provinces are no problem for foreigners, even at night. It's nice to travel there, especially because so many tourists are afraid, it's not yet overrun, maybe the reason that locals are so friendly.

I suppose the reason they chose to walk around the world is their "fatness", although those 1,460 km seems to have done little to alleviate the sons condition. Maybe he is chunking down donuts on the side when mom is not watching. The scale for weighting the food says it all.....smile.png

Predictably, a thread for the Thaivisa bitter brigade to get their teeth into. The following factors ensured from the outset that the bar stool bores would make personal attacks like the one above:

1. The French mother and son are actually doing something rather than sitting on their butts all day

2. They are enjoying their time in Thailand

3. They are finding the people of Thailand friendly and pleasant

4. They can enjoy Thailand without spending their time in red light areas / in the company of prostitutes

5. They are not complaining or whinging about anything

It's a terrible thing jealousy..........oh well, keep stewing in your misery fellas :)

I think you only find trouble in places like this 2 times. The First time! And the Last Time!

I think she should be at home with her Grandchildren instead of Bumming around like a 16 Year Old Hippy, and dragging her son into this as well.

What's the big deal anyway? Terry Fox ran from coast to coast across Canada to raise money for Cancer Research while having Cancer and on only one leg. It is difficult to top that! I also don't recall him mouching money of food off of people to do that either. .

Maybe they could give a lecture to the relatives of all the people killed there by insurgents ?

Or to the relatives of those tortured and disappeared by the RTA?

As this is in effect a small civil war, people who are obviously non-combatants are unlikely to be targeted (although if they had publicly criticized the Government I would not be so sure). Unless they get caught up in an incident that doesn't involve them, I am sure they will continue to enjoy a welcome. In Muslim areas there tends to be a lot less alcohol related violence.

I AM NICOLAS QUEUNE (yes, Nicolas, not Nicholas). But you can call me STRAWHAT LUFFY!!!! Why? BECAUSE I AM TRANSFORMING THE JAPANESE COMICS "ONE PIECE" IN A REAL STORY!!!! I crossed a dinosaur island (new zealand), I fought giant marin crocodile maneater (I was in a plastic cage of course) in australia (arbasta in the One Piece comics) and A LOT OF MORE!!!

I am searching the news about my travel on internet and I find this. I am.... sad. Really.

First: This article have some mistake. I AM DOING a world tour on foot, not my mother who is with me only for thailand and cambodia.

Second: I began this travel in APRIL 2013 in JAPAN. After, I crossed New zealand, Australia, Malaysia, and now Thailand.

Third: I KNOW I AM FAT!!! When I began this travel I was 1,67 meter and 120 kilos. Actually, I am 1,67 meters and 75 kilos and I CANNOT LOST MORE WEIGHTS. Why? Because it is my belly who is fat and I cannot lost the weight on this place. Now I need surgery..... or starve to death and rotten until there is only my skeleton.

Four: WE KNOW there is dangeorus place in Thailand. For the moment the tourists are not attacked, only army men, police men and teacher. I guess I can become the first tourist killed in South thailand, it is not impossible. WE ACCEPT THE RISK!!!! I know people who walk in pakistan in taliban provincial: in South philippina and other place A LOT OF MORE DANGEROUS than South Thailand.

Thanks for people who think good of me, honestly I think I am worth of it.

Actually I am doing a Facebook page who speak about my travel since Japan. The work is slow unfortunately for the moment.

Adress:

https://www.facebook.com/Expedition-One-Piece-English-1086690921340979/

Edited by ceroxon

The trouble here is that foreigners are seldom the targets to the insurgency, it makes for bad press.

Perhaps if they were wearing uniforms and riding in a military vehicle, things could possibly be different.

Nick Berg said the same thing about Iraq, till he had his head lobbed off by some people who didn't share his views.

However, I can partially agree with what they're telling everyone, it was the same for Bangkok in 2014, plenty of people, including some here said it was dangerous and could erupt at any moment, well it never gave me that impression either. It's just sensationalism for the better part.

A few mates lived down that way and they never had any issues with the locals either, although they did say there was more happening than being reported.

I AM NICOLAS QUEUNE (yes, Nicolas, not Nicholas). But you can call me STRAWHAT LUFFY!!!! Why? BECAUSE I AM TRANSFORMING THE JAPANESE COMICS "ONE PIECE" IN A REAL STORY!!!! I crossed a dinosaur island (new zealand), I fought giant marin crocodile maneater (I was in a plastic cage of course) in australia (arbasta in the One Piece comics) and A LOT OF MORE!!!

I am searching the news about my travel on internet and I find this. I am.... sad. Really.

First: This article have some mistake. I AM DOING a world tour on foot, not my mother who is with me only for thailand and cambodia.

Second: I began this travel in APRIL 2013 in JAPAN. After, I crossed New zealand, Australia, Malaysia, and now Thailand.

Third: I KNOW I AM FAT!!! When I began this travel I was 1,67 meter and 120 kilos. Actually, I am 1,67 meters and 75 kilos and I CANNOT LOST MORE WEIGHTS. Why? Because it is my belly who is fat and I cannot lost the weight on this place. Now I need surgery..... or starve to death and rotten until there is only my skeleton.

Four: WE KNOW there is dangeorus place in Thailand. For the moment the tourists are not attacked, only army men, police men and teacher. I guess I can become the first tourist killed in South thailand, it is not impossible. WE ACCEPT THE RISK!!!! I know people who walk in pakistan in taliban provincial: in South philippina and other place A LOT OF MORE DANGEROUS than South Thailand.

Thanks for people who think good of me, honestly I think I am worth of it.

Actually I am doing a Facebook page who speak about my travel since Japan. The work is slow unfortunately for the moment.

Adress:

https://www.facebook.com/Expedition-One-Piece-English-1086690921340979/

Good onya Nicolas.If you keep reading TVF you will become depressed and have to go home.Happy trails.

I do not know nick berg. Probably a sad story. For my share, I know the risks and I tak eall the rpecaution I can (except abandon my travel). For the moment the most dangeorus thing I encounter in this travel are venomous Deadly snakes, three times. The next times I will see one..... will be maybe.... the last.

More dangerous than terrorist are driver on the road (I travel on the side of the road).

I do not know nick berg. Probably a sad story. For my share, I know the risks and I tak eall the rpecaution I can (except abandon my travel). For the moment the most dangeorus thing I encounter in this travel are venomous Deadly snakes, three times. The next times I will see one..... will be maybe.... the last.

More dangerous than terrorist are driver on the road (I travel on the side of the road).

Thank you for coming in this discussion. Great thing you're doing, keep on! Traffic is the most dangerous matter, as everywere in Thailand. And yes, as you're walking, snakes have to be awared of. I really like your statements. I've travelled there since 30 years and my second home is near to the so called dangerous zone . Lots of comments here from people never having been there, but you have most likely met such comments in other countries and blogs before. Good luck.

I believe the reason there has been no problem in the south is that the southern insurgents realize that it would be a waste of an IED or bullets. The southern insurgents target people who are important to local society's functions such as teachers, health workers, infrastructure workers etc.

Edited by geriatrickid

I think you only find trouble in places like this 2 times. The First time! And the Last Time!

I think she should be at home with her Grandchildren instead of Bumming around like a 16 Year Old Hippy, and dragging her son into this as well.

What's the big deal anyway? Terry Fox ran from coast to coast across Canada to raise money for Cancer Research while having Cancer and on only one leg. It is difficult to top that! I also don't recall him mouching money of food off of people to do that either. .

Terry Fox had to give up his run in Ontario. He did not run coast to coast.

I think they are silly to go to places that are known to be dangerous , and lucky that nothing had happened to them.

Their ... and your ... chances of getting injured or killed in a car on the highway is far far more likely than walking in southern Thailand. So are you silly for riding in a car?

They are right, the three southern most provinces are no problem for foreigners, even at night. It's nice to travel there, especially because so many tourists are afraid, it's not yet overrun, maybe the reason that locals are so friendly.

Safe until the jerks causing the problems realize there is big money in kidnapping, especially foreigners.

I commend Nicolas and his mother for getting out there and doing it. Surely what he's doing is better than occupying a bar stool in Pattaya wasting his life?

Edited by F4UCorsair

I didn't read anywhere that they were trying to break any records or complete their walk because of adversity.

Come on, just be happy for the sake of being happy. It's called a good news story.

Terry Fox had to give up his run in Ontario. He did not run coast to coast.

Yes! Sorry! My mistake! I stand to be corrected!

Terry Fox did not run coast to coast. Diagnosed with Cancer and only having one leg, he started his 143 day run and ran a total of 5,373 Kilometers (or 3,339 Miles) and ended it when Cancer spread to his lungs and he was forced to stop at the Great Lakes. This run ultimately lead to his earlier death but his run managed to raise $1.7 Million Dollars in pledges for Cancer Research. But through his name and an annual run since 1981, he has raised over $650 Million Dollars for Cancer Research, which still continues today.

Silly of me to think that Terry Fox's accomplishments were greater and saying he ran coast to coast on one leg, when it was only 5.373 Kilometers. Especially compared to someone who has been Bumming around since April 2013, who has both legs and can work, who has raise zero money for charity, and yet still expects front page news coverage.

For "What" may I ask?

I believe the reason there has been no problem in the south is that the southern insurgents realize that it would be a waste of an IED or bullets. The southern insurgents target people who are important to local society's functions such as teachers, health workers, infrastructure workers etc.

I have just been reading a Thaivisa thread from today 'Two civilians shot dead in Narathiwat'.

I think they are silly to go to places that are known to be dangerous , and lucky that nothing had happened to them.

There are many places in Thailand which are more dangerous than these three provinces :

all the roads with 26,000 people who die every year since.... since how many years ?

You know there is such a thing in life called Adventire, how many of you guys have actually done anything remotely like this? People climb mountains jump out of aeroplanes and free fall they row small boats across the Atlantic, they sail boats around the world, this guy is walking around the world, what an adventure that is. All you guys pulling him down now post what you have done other than uprooting from your own country and living in another, I am not an adventurer but even I have done that. Nicolas I think you are one of the worlds true adventurers keep going the very least you will get is fantastic memories and a story to tell your children. And maybe you can write a book about your ADVENTURE and earn a fortune. I wish you the very very best.