PM thanks Olympic athletes

rooster59

PM thanks Olympic athletes

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNPOL590827001000102.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 August 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha expressed his appreciation towards Thai athletes competing in the Rio Games 2016 between August 5th and August 21st. 

The prime minister hosted a gala dinner to welcome back athletes and coaches from the 2016 Summer Olympics. He said he was glad and honored to be able to treat the nation’s heroes to a dinner, thanking them for the success and the recognition they brought for Thailand. Not only did they put Thailand on the map once again, he said these athletes displayed great sportsmanship as well as physical and mental toughness. 

He added that he was satisfied with the outcome while urging the athletes to have faith in themselves. He said athletes should always be committed to their tasks and be ready for any challenges they are up against. 

He then asserted that the Thai government has always attached great significance to the development of sports and physical education, hoping to turn Thailand into a sports hub of the ASEAN region.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-27

Gold medal winners collected 12 million baht.....they were presented with the cheques which was shown on the Thai news channels...silver 7.2 mill and bronze 4.8 mill......and happy to report that one of the gold medal winners was from the little town near me in the jungle...

I never did understand such nationalism. Now these athletes won gold medals and all the very best to them, but this does not mean their country must have a better political system / standard of living / contented citizenry. What 'success' did they bring to Thailand? They won because THEY were the best, not their country. 

I suppose I had better add 'This applies to medal winners of all countries' before some obtuse dullard jumps all over my post...

Posts containing comments in violation of the UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN THAILAND NEWS have been removed:

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

He then asserted that the Thai government has always attached great significance to the development of sports and physical education, hoping to turn Thailand into a sports hub of the ASEAN region

2 gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze...

just think what they could have achieved if they diverted some of the profits from the National Lottery in to training facilities...

That what Great Britain did, similar population, 27 gold, 23 Silver, 17 Bronze...

Edited by Basil B