Calling all Chiang Mai Guitar Geeks - Help!

Stubby

Hi folks,

Buying the Ibanez EW (Exotic Wood) 20 ASE was one of those good ideas at the time. I was going to get a small amp and have some fun with it, but never did. Apparently, this is one of those guitars that shine best when plugged in, but I wouldn't know. Although it's a semi acoustic, it's not all that impressive unplugged to be honest. That said, it does have a lovely loud, bright acoustic sound in open E tuning, but it's naff in standard tuning. Mind you, I think the open E is what broke one of the keys LOL :)

I've only kept the bloody thing because it's a lovely ornamental addition to the room, and it still looks brand new. It's  a bit of a waste, though, so I think I'll get rid of it at some point and look for something more apt, hence this post. If any of you "guitar guys" out there can recommend something of similar value to the EW 20 ASE, that would be great. I don't want another semi-acoustic, just a nice sounding guitar with low action will do. Easier said than done, I know. And also, what are the best shops to look around in Chiang Mai. I know there's a couple of little outfits around the moat, but is that all we have?

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

ew.jpg

Do I understand you to mean that you broke one of the tuning pegs? Did you break the gear mechanism or the handle?  I'd call this guitar an acoustic guitar with amplification, rather than a semi-acoustic... Those tend to have a more shallow body.

The shop with the best selection of acoustic guitars in town is on Changklan Rd, just before Chiangmai Land Rd., called "MIW"  They have an upstairs area that is ONLY filled with acoustics, and some good ones at that!

Agree with FG: MIW is a "must see" in CNX about guitars.

Khun Prasit is very commited to his work, knows very well the guitar-world and is very friendly, though not speaking english...

Acoustic guitar usually on second floor. Several great brands and models to choose from...

On Facebook:

https://th-th.facebook.com/pages/MIW-ร้านเครื่องดนตรีที่เจ๋งที่สุดของเชียงใหม่/123286271100426

As FG said, the shop is on the LHS down the Chanklang road (from Night-Bazar/Pantip Plaza).

Be careful, shop maybe not so easy to spot at first glance...

Great time to spend there.

Enjoy!

17 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Do I understand you to mean that you broke one of the tuning pegs? Did you break the gear mechanism or the handle?  I'd call this guitar an acoustic guitar with amplification, rather than a semi-acoustic... Those tend to have a more shallow body.

The shop with the best selection of acoustic guitars in town is on Changklan Rd, just before Chiangmai Land Rd., called "MIW"  They have an upstairs area that is ONLY filled with acoustics, and some good ones at that!

Thanks FolkGuitar,

It's the gear mechanism that's broke. It just goes round and round. Regarding the guitar type, I would have thought it'd be been louder if it was just an acoustic with amplification. It's actually very quiet in standard tuning. Anyway, it doesn't really matter what it is now as I'm ready to part with it at some point. Thanks for the tip about the shop. I'd forgot all about that place ;)

Stubby

13 hours ago, gobs said:

Agree with FG: MIW is a "must see" in CNX about guitars.

Khun Prasit is very commited to his work, knows very well the guitar-world and is very friendly, though not speaking english...

Acoustic guitar usually on second floor. Several great brands and models to choose from...

On Facebook:

https://th-th.facebook.com/pages/MIW-ร้านเครื่องดนตรีที่เจ๋งที่สุดของเชียงใหม่/123286271100426

As FG said, the shop is on the LHS down the Chanklang road (from Night-Bazar/Pantip Plaza).

Be careful, shop maybe not so easy to spot at first glance...

Great time to spend there.

Enjoy!

Thanks Gobs. It looks like MIW is the place to go then. BTW, nice FB page ;)

Stubby

• 1 month later...

Probably too late to help you but for anybody else, that shop overcharges by anything from 10% to 20% on a great deal of its stock when you compare their prices to Bangkok prices. The one a couple of blocks away has better prices but a far more limited selection unfortunately. Neither shop is very helpful or knowledgeable about guitars from my experience.

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2016 at 1:59 PM, Mark123456 said:

Probably too late to help you but for anybody else, that shop overcharges by anything from 10% to 20% on a great deal of its stock when you compare their prices to Bangkok prices. The one a couple of blocks away has better prices but a far more limited selection unfortunately. Neither shop is very helpful or knowledgeable about guitars from my experience.

I'd like to revise this comment. MIW is more expensive than Bangkok shops but the guy who runs it is far more pleasant than the people in the shop down the road (Maximum Sound) and does know his stock.

I'd also like to suggest checking out the Music Collection shop in Central Festival, 3rd. floor: 

http://www.music.co.th/

very friendly people, great range of Taylor and other higher-end brands. I bought a Fishman LoudBox Mini from them.

There's a good luthier who does repairs not far from the train station. PM me for details.

Khun Phuneuk at Kad Suan Kaew 3rd. floor is also friendly, and helpful; most of his guitars are less expensive "no-name" brands (think: China).

~o:37;