Tokay Gecko

Jared

Since my last post, my F...you lizard has found a mate, and I now see two of them coming down from my patio roof every evening!

I have also discovered one in my kitchen that I only see when I come down in the middle of the night and turn the light on (or very early in the morning). We frighten the life out of each other every time! :) He/she runs up into a hole in the ceiling or behind the fridge.

Why on earth would anyone be frightened of them? Unless you leave them no alternative they will run away.

Ignore the more ignorant Thais who are frightened of everything, go back to Western, logical, thinking and think of them as a bee - if you annoy them enough they will sting (or in their case, bite), otherwise they will leave you alone.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping an old post, but I have a Tokay problem, and I went through this entire thread without a firm piece of advice on how to get rid of them. I killed one several weeks ago, but more have shown up. I do not own a cat and can't keep killing them off since they seem to have an endless supply.

Bottom line:

A. How do I build a trap for Tokay Geckos? A rat cage seems too small, even if, what bait do I use? or...

B. Is there some kind of deterrant, like a spray or incense?

Sorry for bumping an old post, but I have a Tokay problem, and I went through this entire thread without a firm piece of advice on how to get rid of them. I killed one several weeks ago, but more have shown up. I do not own a cat and can't keep killing them off since they seem to have an endless supply.

Bottom line:

A. How do I build a trap for Tokay Geckos? A rat cage seems too small, even if, what bait do I use? or...

There's a price on their head for the Chinese medicine market (there is a trend for use in cancer treatment). Ask around for someone to do the dirty work for you.

Bottom line:

There's a price on their head for the Chinese medicine market (there is a trend for use in cancer treatment). Ask around for someone to do the dirty work for you.

Wait a minute. Does this mean I can buy a bunch of these guys at the Sunday market, chop off their heads, and sell them on the Chinese medicine market for profit?

• 3 months later...

Continuing the Tokay thread, which has been both informative and amusing!

About a week ago, I noticed one in my home office, he/she (about 11" including tail) gave me a fright (I screamed a bit) and it went into hiding. My wife came in, but with no evidence she didn't believe the 'huge' gecko story that I told.

Last night, as I went to bed early alone (I was getting up at 2am to watch the Man City/ Spurs game) and opened the bedroom windows another one (or maybe the same one) sprinted (vertically) from behind the 'Buddha' table and took resident on the ceiling. As I sleep under a net, I just left him/her too it!

Back in my office this evening 9.00pm and there's a scampering noise and there's the office one again, on the wall about 3ft from my shoulder. I get up gently and call my wife in, she gets to the office door and screams, followed closely by my daughter and niece. The niece is sent to get Yai (Grandma) from their house across the way. Meanwhile Gordon/ Gemma (the big gecko)has hidden behind my printer (on a table with coasters), with some torches, moving of objects and bamboo stick waving, the chase commences with Gordon/Gemma moving swiftly and then hiding behind various pieces of furniture. Yai is not scared and determined to catch the dastardly reptile. Finally Grandpa shows up and having not seen the beast, helps with some bamboo stick poking!

Gordon/ Gemma then makes a dash for it, straight up Yai's shirt, but with the reflexes of a 60year old grandma Gordon/Gemma is caught under the shirt, just above waist level! Grandpa runs out screaming (apparently he's really scared of the things)!

Yai takes Gordon/ Gemma outside and releases him from her shirt into a plastic bag, which she ties up, puts in her basket, gets on her bike and cycles to the nearest field to release him/her.

Never bothered researching this before (as it hadn't happened), but I'm tending towards the leave them be - we don't have a huge problem with 'noisy <deleted> you' calls (the frogs after the rain are far noisier), and if they eat cockroaches (yuk),millipedes (whilst they don't bite, their 'skin' can give an allergic reaction), centipedes (had a 9" one of these - and they can do serious damage) and scorpions (say no more) (all of which we have had in the house) not often, but enough to put the willy's up me!

So if Gordon/ Gemma or their relatives return, I'll be keeping it quiet and not reporting it to the 'screaming reptile killers' that are my family.

The only other 'point' that my wife raised was if you have Tokays in your house, they attract Green Snakes (whatever they are) - anybody shed any light on this theory?

• 5 weeks later...

Found one just in front of my office at work sitting up in the corner of the ceiling. One of our 'cowboys' lassoed it as it created too many 'concerns' from staff members. :D Small one of about 30 cm length.

post-566-0-49872600-1307779106_thumb.jpg

post-566-0-98008400-1307779125_thumb.jpg

Continuing the Tokay thread, which has been both informative and amusing!

About a week ago, I noticed one in my home office, he/she (about 11" including tail) gave me a fright (I screamed a bit) and it went into hiding. My wife came in, but with no evidence she didn't believe the 'huge' gecko story that I told.

Last night, as I went to bed early alone (I was getting up at 2am to watch the Man City/ Spurs game) and opened the bedroom windows another one (or maybe the same one) sprinted (vertically) from behind the 'Buddha' table and took resident on the ceiling. As I sleep under a net, I just left him/her too it!

Back in my office this evening 9.00pm and there's a scampering noise and there's the office one again, on the wall about 3ft from my shoulder. I get up gently and call my wife in, she gets to the office door and screams, followed closely by my daughter and niece. The niece is sent to get Yai (Grandma) from their house across the way. Meanwhile Gordon/ Gemma (the big gecko)has hidden behind my printer (on a table with coasters), with some torches, moving of objects and bamboo stick waving, the chase commences with Gordon/Gemma moving swiftly and then hiding behind various pieces of furniture. Yai is not scared and determined to catch the dastardly reptile. Finally Grandpa shows up and having not seen the beast, helps with some bamboo stick poking!

Gordon/ Gemma then makes a dash for it, straight up Yai's shirt, but with the reflexes of a 60year old grandma Gordon/Gemma is caught under the shirt, just above waist level! Grandpa runs out screaming (apparently he's really scared of the things)!

Yai takes Gordon/ Gemma outside and releases him from her shirt into a plastic bag, which she ties up, puts in her basket, gets on her bike and cycles to the nearest field to release him/her.

Never bothered researching this before (as it hadn't happened), but I'm tending towards the leave them be - we don't have a huge problem with 'noisy <deleted> you' calls (the frogs after the rain are far noisier), and if they eat cockroaches (yuk),millipedes (whilst they don't bite, their 'skin' can give an allergic reaction), centipedes (had a 9" one of these - and they can do serious damage) and scorpions (say no more) (all of which we have had in the house) not often, but enough to put the willy's up me!

So if Gordon/ Gemma or their relatives return, I'll be keeping it quiet and not reporting it to the 'screaming reptile killers' that are my family.

The only other 'point' that my wife raised was if you have Tokays in your house, they attract Green Snakes (whatever they are) - anybody shed any light on this theory?

never heard that before. They eat cockroaches and other insects and, if large enough, a mouse or two. If left alone, they never come near you and are totally harmless. Only problem is the poop but I simply move the furniture around once in a while and sweep up the poop.

It's the law's of nature, predator/prey. Prey go where the food is. So yes, where there are lizards you might find snakes. But snakes are usually shy and avoid humans unless they are very hungry. ;Snakes eat smaller animals including birds, other snakes, lizards and just about everything lizards eat. Tokay's will eat house geckos and insects including small birds if the can catch them.

Here's a picture of a Centipede. What you can't see it's eating a millipede. Centipedes are harmless except the exude and acid which irritates the skin. Millipedes have a nasty bite. Pink millipedes are very rare and are worth up to 10,000B for collectors if you find one. And they are very

Why am I getting all this formatting crap? Never had it before!1

post-26396-200484_thumb.jpg

Edited by sbk
formatting marks removed

Bottom line:

I love this village legend about large sums for Tokay. So far, I haven't found anyone in the villages that has actually sold a Tokay for more than a few baht. The rumors speak of tens of thousands of baht for a big one.

Centipedes are harmless except the exude and acid which irritates the skin.  Millipedes have a nasty bite.

You have that reversed. It's the centipedes that can have a nasty bite.

Some species of centipede can be hazardous to humans because of their bite. Although a bite to an adult human is usually very painful and may cause severe swelling, chills, fever, and weakness, it is unlikely to be fatal. Bites can be dangerous to small children and those with allergies to bee stings. The bite of larger centipedes can induce anaphylactic shock in such people. Smaller centipedes usually do not puncture human skin

Centipede

Centipedes are harmless except the exude and acid which irritates the skin.  Millipedes have a nasty bite.

You have that reversed. It's the centipedes that can have a nasty bite.

Some species of centipede can be hazardous to humans because of their bite. Although a bite to an adult human is usually very painful and may cause severe swelling, chills, fever, and weakness, it is unlikely to be fatal. Bites can be dangerous to small children and those with allergies to bee stings. The bite of larger centipedes can induce anaphylactic shock in such people. Smaller centipedes usually do not puncture human skin

Centipede

You are right...I got it backwards. The picture I posted that I took is a millipede eating a centipede.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millipede

Quote> As far as humans are concerned, this chemical brew is fairly harmless, usually causing only minor effects on the skin, the main effect being discoloration, but other effects may also include pain, itching, local erythema, edema, blisters, eczema, and occasionally cracked skin.[8][12][13][14] Eye exposures to these secretions causes general eye irritation and potentially more severe effects such as conjunctivitis and keratitis.[15] First aid consists of flushing the area thoroughly with water; further treatment is aimed at relieving the local effects. <Unquote

Edited by Mrjlh

tookays/kupkays,when they are heard around the village, a couple of local lads spend most of the night hunting them, apparently they sell them to the chinese herablist in town.

The wife says the boys will come to your house and get rid of them if you dont wish to do it yourself.

Bottom line:

There is a gang of people that come to catch them if they're big enough around here in Buriram - to sell to the chinese medicine market. I've been told they can be worth up to 20,000 baht although i have my doubts about that if i'm honest.

They have to be really big ones though. There are some hefty specimens in my father inlaw's house but they're not big enough to sell apparently.

I have seen them on bbq skewers in surrathani for 20b each too.

I think they're great, hope my father inlaw's don't get too big or i fear the worst for them!

Bottom line:

There is a gang of people that come to catch them if they're big enough around here in Buriram - to sell to the chinese medicine market. I've been told they can be worth up to 20,000 baht although i have my doubts about that if i'm honest.

They have to be really big ones though. There are some hefty specimens in my father inlaw's house but they're not big enough to sell apparently.

I have seen them on bbq skewers in surrathani for 20b each too.

I think they're great, hope my father inlaw's don't get too big or i fear the worst for them!

I've heard the same stories from Thais about the value to the Chinese market of Tookays.....

No idea whether its true, but I will not tolerate anyone hunting them on my property as I genuinely don't see the problem.

I like them (and have lots) and, if they kill centipedes (one of the few things of which I'm afraid) - so much the better!

They may attract 'Green snakes', by which I assume you are thinking of Golden Tree snakes - but they are also harmless to people. Although I must admit that I don't trust my abilities to differentiate between a Golden Tree snake and a viper :unsure:. I don't worry for myself as I give all snakes distance, but I do worry for my dogs.....

I've heard the same stories from Thais about the value to the Chinese market of Tookays.....

No idea whether its true, but I will not tolerate anyone hunting them on my property as I genuinely don't see the problem.

Tokay Gecko Price - The typical current prices for Tokay geckos are as follows: (Malaysia)

300 grams : RM 25000

400 grams : RM 80000

500 grams : RM 200000

600 grams : RM 500000

800 grams : RM 800000

Above 1000 grams approximately RM1 million.

Tokay Gecko price

Tokay Gecko Price - The typical current prices for Tokay geckos are as follows: (Malaysia)

Tokay Gecko price

How revolting. I sometimes wonder about people....

Tokay Gecko price

How revolting. I sometimes wonder about people....

People, you'll get a lot more for them!!

No but seriously, the chinese medicine market has a lot to answer for, they have committed some inexcusable crimes against nature in persuit of their (not so) magic potions.

well we'll neither eat nor sell 'ours' (or perhaps we are 'his' humans)

He lives in the shed attached to the house, a concrete echo chamber to make his calls more impressive

We are concerned though at his erratic behaviour - for a long time it was a precise eight 'tookays' and couldn't help but count along; a sudden behaviour change and we have noted 8, 6 and 5.

I'm surprised mention of lucky lottery numbers have not been mentioned.

Tomorrow: 865 wins a prize in Thai lottery (you heard it here)

Amazing how squeamish we cow and pig and chicken eaters can become! What's so special about a lizard?

[if god wanted us to be vegetarians why did he make the animals all taste different?]

Amazing how squeamish we cow and pig and chicken eaters can become! What's so special about a lizard?

[if god wanted us to be vegetarians why did he make the animals all taste different?]

Its nothing to do with being 'squeamish' - its animals being eaten for their rarity value - and obviously tookays are pretty rare in China or wherever to command that price...

The worry is that they (like many other animals that used to be common here), will end up being few and far between.

Item from news yesterday (Myanmar); since our one did not predict today's Thai Lottery numbers, I may trade him in (not)

Over 10 Million Kyat Worth of Tokay Geckos Seized in Arakan

6/15/2011

Sittwe: Over ten million kyat worth of tokay geckos, which were likely bound for export to China and Malaysia, were seized by Burmese police at a businessman's house in Sittwe, the capital of Arakan, on 11 June, said a close neighbor and police source.

"40 living tokays worth over ten million kyat were seized from the house of U Maung Taw Gawbi in Sittwe on the evening of 11 June. The weight of each Tokay is reportedly over 300 grams. The total value of the seized tokay geckos is over ten million kyat," said the close neighbor of Maung Taw Gawbi. <br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Maung Taw Gawbi allegedly gathered the tokays at his house after purchasing them from local people in order to export them to China and Malaysia, where the animals are in high demand.

"Now people in our state are hunting for tokays around Arakan to sell to local businessmen who buy tokays for exporting to China and Malaysia. There are many prices for tokays but it depends on the weight of the animal. We get over one million kyat in our state for a tokay that weights 300 grams," he said.

tokay.jpg

more

• 1 month later...

i have a ton of the litle ones, harmless, in the house, keep the other insects at bay. they ginore m,e i ignore them. those big nasty bastards are different. had 3. they found there is usually a hole behind an air con unit, far to big for the pipes and easy access. first we filled the holes. then...

Dad, there is one in my room.. she cried.. in i went with a skim net from the pool and a fly spray. caught him in the net with ease, they are slow. asked my daughter to pass me the spray, she did... and i coshed him with it. forget sptraying, a full can gives a good whack. dead, he was lumped out the window.

three out, all out. now we have them int he garden and the little chimchock things in the house.. harmony at the tin shack :)