Body of American man recovered from Mekong River in Chiang Rai

webfact

Body of American man recovered from Mekong River in Chiang Rai

usa.jpg

Image: Chiang Mai News

CHIANG RAI:-- The body of an American man was recovered from the Mekong River in Chiang Rai on Wednesday morning.

Chiang Khong Police and rescue workers from Somdet Phra Yupparat Hospital were called after a local fisherman noticed the body of the man floating face down in the river at the Wiang subdistrict in Chiang Rai.

Police said the victim, identified as Robert James Fossam, 70, had been dead for around eight hours. Officers also confirmed they did not find any signs of violence on the victim’s body.

Further investigations revealed Mr Fossam had checked into a nearby hotel on September 6th.

Hotel staff reported last seeing Mr Fossam on the morning of the 6th and noted that he was dressed like he was about to go and exercise.

A search of Mr Fossam’s hotel room found a suicide note.

The US Embassy has been notified of Mr Fossam’s death.

Source: Chiang Mai News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-08

Maybe this is why Thailand is cracking down on expats without enough money coming in to sustain a normal life, I don't know that his problems were financial but I think many of these suicides are related to lack of money. I would not want to be trapped in a foreign country with little or no money. I know some who live on the 30 to 40,000 baht they make teaching English, What happens when they lose the job?

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

Maybe this is why Thailand is cracking down on expats without enough money coming in to sustain a normal life, I don't know that his problems were financial but I think many of these suicides are related to lack of money. I would not want to be trapped in a foreign country with little or no money. I know some who live on the 30 to 40,000 baht they make teaching English, What happens when they lose the job?

The younger USA guys are doubly screwed as those earnings will count for little toward our old age pensions in social security.  

I saw that many countries that offer retirement visas are setting the minimum $$$$ qualifications at about twice the rate of the average social security payment in the USA.  This weeds out those that might get destitute during their stay.