Playing with "Slime" can make your child ill - professor warns

webfact

Playing with "Slime" can make your child ill - professor warns

a5.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Children playing with the latest toy craze - "Slime" made from latex glue and various chemicals - can get ill.

The comments from a Kaset University professor come after a woman posted on Facebook that her friend's child got respiratory disease after playing with the slimy goo for a year, reported Sanook.

The child suffered skin problems and couldn't breathe properly needing hospital treatment.

Dr Wirachai Phuthawong of the Chemistry faculty at Kaset university in Bangkok said that "slime" could collect dust and germs. Some children may well lick their fingers and transfer germs into their systems.

Wirachai said that the slime was easy to make and should be thrown away after playing with it for a while. He said that in his opinion if the boy had played with it for a year continually it would be full of germs and could cause harm.

Children with compromised immune systems could be especially at risk.

He also wondered whether the child on Facebook had grown addicted to the smell of the slime due to some chemical component helping to coagulate the latex glue.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-15

Slime has been around for years and i remember one called fart in a jar that made an obvious sound when the fingers were pushed into the slime and the air would escape. Great fun as a kid when Grandma sat down.

Back in prehysteric times kids played with plasticine, a soft  moldable substance used for modelling.  Maybe they still do, the only thing different, perhaps, was that our immune system was a bit stronger and we didn't have the need to wash our hands every 20 minutes. 

1 hour ago, SoFarAndNear said:

WARNING. Hot News. If you child plays with something sticky on the floor and it puts his fingers in the mouth it could get sick!!!! Please share to all parents.

But we were waiting for a prof to say it!

Edited by mesterm

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Back in prehysteric times kids played with plasticine, a soft  moldable substance used for modelling.  Maybe they still do, the only thing different, perhaps, was that our immune system was a bit stronger and we didn't have the need to wash our hands every 20 minutes. 

Prehysteric!  Brilliant 

:cheesy:

Back when I was a lad ( centurion was a rank not a tank ) plasticine used to be made in a factory alongside a canal the towpath of  which we used to run along to get to the school playing fields. I expect they go by bus now...)

Theffluent was dumped in the canal, turning it into a milky colour.  I must have swallowed gallons of the stuff - pushing each other in was a popular sport.

Plasticine is now made in China, last time I looked the factory was a very posh housing development and the canal has that many little boats it looks like the last lift out of Dunkirk! And I'm still here...

Just burbling in the corner of the room!

Edited by JAG

I  don't know about making your children Ill,  if you teach in a primary school it's certainly not good for your blood pressure! 

Little so and so's are mixing it up all over the place. P3's classroom looks like a witches kitchen at breaktime on a rainy day.