Recommendations for a Decent Compact for a Novice

I've got a Sony DSC-RX100 I, and I love it.  Takes fantastic pictures, has good zoom and does wide angle.  I got some dust on the censor during my last trip and had it repaired by a Sony shop in Baku.  Worked great for about a week, then started acting up, eventually, the lens wouldn't extend nor retract.  I took it to a shop here in Pattaya and they say the part will take 3 months to get here!

In the mean time, I got the best camera I could find when I was in some small town in Georgia.  A Sony DSC WX350.  A fair camera.  Lousy LCD display.  No wide angle and poor pics in low light.

Anyway, I'm off on another trip and think I need to get a new camera.  I don't do much with the camera other than point and shoot.  Wide angle, good zoom and decent LCD are important.  As is a compact size as I'm potentially in some rough places and don't want to be walking around with a big camera.  One that fits in the pocket is perfect.  Stealth!

I'm looking at the RX100 M3.  Not cheap at 25,600 Baht, but seems very good.  I'd be interested to hear what you experts have to say!  The good thing about staying with the RX100 is I don't have to buy new batteries! LOL

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat.....loved my sony rx100 until it packed it in.....unceremoniously dropped a few times which obviously doesn't agree with it. Been looking for a replacement, but I keep coming back to the rx100 mk3.....the extra price and features for the mk4 doesn't interest me.

Archived