Car flips on Phuket road as driver swerves to avoid dog

rooster59

Car flips on Phuket road as driver swerves to avoid dog 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1474715271_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A 24-year-old Phang Nga woman was lucky to escape unhurt when her Pajero slammed into a streetlamp and flipped on a road in Chalong earlier today (Sept 24).

Chalong Police were called to respond to an accident on Chao Fa East Rd near Land & Houses Park Phuket at around noon.

At the scene, officers found a Mitsubishi Pajero lying on its side next to a downed street light pole.

The driver of the car, 24-year-old Choukwan Pattanakitviboon, told police that she was heading towards Phuket Town when a dog suddenly ran in front of her car.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/car-flips-on-phuket-road-as-driver-swerves-to-avoid-dog-59232.php#1L5W18QOgwbx8hmW.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-25

Lack of training; if you are about to hit an animal that is not higher than the front of the car you do not swerve!

Better to hit the animal with your bumper than to endanger yourself and people driving around you.

(in case the animal is higher than the front of your car, like a horse or a cow, better swerve around it as hitting the animal can result in picking up the animal and it sliding through your windshield killing you).

6 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Lack of training; if you are about to hit an animal that is not higher than the front of the car you do not swerve!

Better to hit the animal with your bumper than to endanger yourself and people driving around you.

(in case the animal is higher than the front of your car, like a horse or a cow, better swerve around it as hitting the animal can result in picking up the animal and it sliding through your windshield killing you).

I guessing but if it is a really big animal like an elephant or a giraffe, is it safe to drive underneath them?

I always swerve rather than hit the animal, whether it's right or wrong. Cows, dogs, snakes, monitor lizards. I still remember a friend causing several hundreds of pounds of damage to a car after hitting an alsation dog. I suggested he sue the dog owner, though he didn't, and of aourse that would be pretty much impossible in Thailnd anyway.

46 minutes ago, kingalfred said:

Brake never swerve

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Caveat. Brake gently if safe to do so. If not safe, <deleted> the dog!

It was something I learned on an advanced driving course many years ago (although the wording was a bit different!)

Edited by Moonlover
Additional paragraph

3 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

of course i looked it up, learnt a new word today. talking about being anal, next time you read a banal post, just move on. no need to reply. just move on.

As Cpl Jones used to say in Dad's Army, 'They don't like it up 'em'. Very happy to move on from this banal conversation.

Now that I’ve got over my ‘banal’ moment, I’ll come back to what I was going to say about this incident.

I have driven this type of vehicle for many years, whilst working in the Middle East. And I know from that experience that, whilst they are good at what there’re designed for, their handling is somewhat compromised by being heavy, having a relatively high C of G and being rear wheel drive (in normal driving conditions).

They require a more sedate method of driving than a standard car and are much less forgiving if the driver mishandles it. As I discovered one day when I found myself (and my family) spinning off the road and going backwards into the desert!

The second point to make is the difference in the way men and women react in this kind of animal encounter on the roads. As is clear from earlier posts, It is for us menfolk, a matter of ‘my safety and survival comes first’ type of attitude, me included.

Fast forward from days my in Saudi Arabia, to a trip out with an Italian friend of mine in Egypt. We were returning an animal sanctuary. (Note the irony) when a dog came out of the darkness into our path. Sandra’s reaction was to brake hard, swerve violently and, incredibly, reach out and grab my arm, presumably for emotional support!

We got away with it (both us and the dog), but had her vehicle been a 4 X 4 and not a normal hatchback there would have been a very real danger of it tipping over as happened in the case in point

I put this down to the girlie drivers of this world reacting in a more emotive and protective way than us men would. They are after all the nurturers and carers of our species and I feel that this what happened to the young lady involved in this accident.

I hope this young lady has learned from her lesson and maybe she’ll take to driving a vehicle more suited to her experience and skill level in future.