Brasserie

Mahseer

dam_n looks like I'm the only one in Tooks' corner but that's fine.

No I think a lot of people agree that Took is a great player but for my part I am disappointed that he doesn't utilise the skill and talent he has by continuing to develop as a guitarist and musician. I will never be at the level he plays but I enjoy what I do. Took always looks like he is "just doing another night at the office" he looks bored and uninspired. However he doesn't do anything about it by changing his set so for people like me there is no point to going on a regular basis just to see the same set, in the same order as he does every time.

Bottom line? Excellent to have 2 bands in town playing the blues.

The bottom line for me is that there are more than two bands in town playing not just the blues, but also reggae, rock, soul, and any other genre of live music. Live music is something special, even if the band isn't up there in terms of skills they can carry it off with energy and fun. It is difficult for venues in CM to put on live music, the punters all like different things and will voice an opinion. What one person loves others will loathe. For one group it is fantastic and other it is boring. I like to see and listen to different bands, even bands I really like get too much same as same as after a while but by encouraging different bands and places the live music scene will hopefully grow.

One other point I wish to make - Took when he is on song is a great night. For people who haven't seen him or not seen him for a while I urge them to check him out.

CB

• 3 months later...
I caught Boy Blues band two weeks ago, when illustrious Guitarman proprietor Nicky stood in as bass player and did a great job of it too.

An extremely eclectic and innovative Thai bluesman whose name I do not know, took turns with Boy for the guitar leads; Boy providing sophisticated, understated, weeping leads and this other bluesman attacking the axe from a 12-dimensional angle, ranging all the way from furious atonality over Parliament-ish funk chops into smooth, tip-toeing jazzy licks.

The best jam I have seen in Chiang Mai, and right up there with the gigs one is sometimes lucky enough to catch in Bangkok's Saxophone bar on a good night.

Took is without a doubt a highly accomplished blues guitar player of the traditional type, but I agree it seems he sticks with the same set of cover songs and does not want to expand his playing.

I recently experianced Boy Blues band at guitar man and thought they were great but was not too impressed with the venue, had a lot of trouble getting a drink and when it came time to pay the bill some freaky looking Thai girl with bright red hair totally screwed it up and was really rude to us all, dont think we will be back

thanks expat for your kind words about my 'freaky' wife, you usually find there are two sides to every story,coming on this site to offer a one sided offensive view is surely not the way to do it,school boy name calling.....very sad