Welcome to Thai roads: Singapore businessman wrecks his Ferrari!

webfact

19 hours ago, Shatian said:

Where did you keep the 0 after 2? I thought I read 20m and not 2m baht.

Yes, it's THB20m and not THB2m. Well spotted, thank you! If you must know, I have a bad habit of losing the '0' whenever I do THB-MYR (or vice-versa) conversions. Yes, yes... it's no longer THB100-MYR10 anymore, but as a quick and rough indicator, the 100-10 formula still works somewhat... LOL. Cheers.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obviously not used to driving in thailand, if, when he lost control he had used a passing policeman to crash into then he would have done a lot less damage to his car and being rich he probably wouldnt have even needed to go to the copshop to report it....

On 07/10/2016 at 0:14 PM, KhunBENQ said:

A Ferrari is not THE vehicle for wet roads during rainy season.

Maybe he wasn't aware :wink:

20 mio Baht?

I doubt that you get a new Ferrari that cheap in Thailand.

At least 20m baht is what was quoted.

On 07/10/2016 at 8:39 PM, Lupatria said:

...and definitely not in Singapore. However, I think everyone who drives a car like this in Thailand is a moron.

That reasoned and rational remark says a lot about you.

14 hours ago, Mansell said:

Because the enormous amounts of rain cause aquaplaning.....the larger the downpour the aquaplaning chances increase incrementally.

Nonsense, aquaplaning has nothing to do with the 'size' of a downpour, neither does rain 'cause' it, it is caused by standing water and a tyres inability to clear it through it's tread.

I had to learn that it is an easy job to drive 200 km/h with a Ferrari in the rain (won't have the chance to test).

But what's for certain: wading the flood is not a Ferrari domain :cheesy::cheesy:

Some stupido managed to drive it to the floods in Bangkok

From Daily Mail (may or may not be blocked for some in Thailand).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3828204/Ferrari-California-washed-away-flood-waters-Thailand.html

3930630000000578-0-image-m-59_1475906354152.jpg

3930639B00000578-0-image-a-60_1475906372464.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

11 hours ago, gdgbb said:

That reasoned and rational remark says a lot about you.

You are right! And it also says a lot about the road conditions and idiot drivers in this country...

I was kicked off my bike three times here by some of these brainless drivers. Running over red lights, not looking in the rear view mirror and texting on their phones while steering through heavy traffic.

Edited by Lupatria

15 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Nonsense, aquaplaning has nothing to do with the 'size' of a downpour, neither does rain 'cause' it, it is caused by standing water and a tyres inability to clear it through it's tread.

What kind of daft misinformation is this?

Yes aquaplaning is caused by the tyres unable to grip, but how on earth do you think the water gets on the roads?

The bigger the downpour, the more water gets on the roads and the surface drainage is unable to clear it.

If you go around thinking you can't aquaplane in a heavy downpour your motoring career will be short and lively.

At this time of the year in Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore the amount of water that can collect on the road surface in only a very few minutes after the rain starts is plenty enough to cause aquaplaning if you are traveling fast and only @90kph is quite quick enough in the right circumstances.

It can also come from floods, but 95% must be from heavy rain (which is obviously also what caused the floods in most cases). The speed that you can aquaplane at if you hit a decent flood can be even lower than 40/50kph if you are really unlucky. 

Well if you are really, really unlucky driving into a flood at speed can actually rip your front wheels off!

Of course the type of vehicle, speed and the type/condition of your tyres are important factors, but it can happen anywhere, its certainly happened to me in other countries including the UK when hitting water in an unexpected location. There are some very bad dips on some of the UK motorways that have surface water warnings signs permanently placed and flashing speed limit signs when it is raining. But these are modern innovations and modern tyres are a hundred times better in the wet than they used to be when I started driving. 

Aquaplaning and snow and black ice soon teach you to drive with due consideration for the conditions.

Here on the motorways, let alone on other roads there are many, many places where surface water soon collects and extra care must be taken during heavy rain.

Only a couple of years ago in Buri Ram I saw 20+ cars and pick-ups sliding off the road due to aquaplaning by going too fast in heavy rain on a winding road. Most were going less than 50kph and it was ridiculous, but it happened. Absolute mayhem with many killed and injured.

Do a bit more research if you want to drive fast and live.

Maybe start here http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Hydroplaning

1.Be careful during the first few minutes of rainfall. Those first ten or so minutes after it starts to rain can be the most dangerous. This is because when rain first begins to fall, it stirs up oil and other substances that have dried on the road. The mixture or oil and water forms a film on the road that makes it extra slippery.

2. Slow down in wet conditions. The faster you’re going, the harder it is for your car to maintain traction in wet conditions. If your tires connect with a puddle of standing water, instead of maintaining contact with the road, they'll be more likely to skid. That's why it's important to slow down in wet conditions, even if visibility is fine.
  • It’s fine to go under the speed limit if the roads are wet. Don't go slower than the flow of traffic, but don't feel you have to go 70 mph (110 km/h) on the highway during a downpour.
  • It’s especially important to go slowly if you see standing water

Try reading the next 8 tips as well.