Forming a registered charity

I am considering opening a charitable organisation here. I'd like to know anything and everything about that. Is it harder than a Co., Ltd? What are the/any onerous requirements. Are there any other undocumented steps that are different from forming a Co., Ltd? 

I've seen it can take up to a year to get approval. If donations are made before official formation, is there a grace period? 

Could we apply, take donations, operate, and account for the monies received and dispensed as 'to and on behalf of the charity'. Obviously initial donors will prefer to make tax-deductible payments.

Many thanks.

Suggest you do a Google for:  thai labor department ngo office

Looks like some informative hits available.

Several years ago an NGO in the U.S. asked me to look into this.  I went down to the Min of Labor office in Din Daeng, found the NGO office, talked with a very helpful lady officer, walked out with a stack of paperwork.  In the end, didn't do the registration.  One of the blocks was requirement to have work permits for the totally unpaid foreign staff, just one of them.  

Mac

Foundations are being increasingly scrutinised since some seem to be using this legal form for purposes of tax evasion, or for purposes that do not benefit the country.
In case the purpose is found to be legitimate, I believe you will find less challenges on the way.

Thanks guys. The org would do road safety workshops leveraging a motocross team based here to deliver demonstrations and discussions on road safety. Outreach at schools, taking kids to races, making sure they hear the message that racing is for the course, not the road...

I am drafting the charter and will see how lawyers react to it...

Cheers.

Many thanks. Does the board need to be fully/majority local?

2 minutes ago, lubfishin said:

You better have a board that you can really trust. Otherwise they can simply vote you out. Even if you were the one to initially found the organisation and funded it, they can get rid of you in a heartbeat.

I am looking at creating something along those lines. An American friend who is fluent in Thai told me that we would have to create a foundation with 200,000 baht in a dedicated bank account, and the money cannot be touched at all. Of course do your own due diligence and make sure this will apply to you. I believe also that anybody coming in to help/volunteer etc will need a temporary work permit.

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

I am looking at creating something along those lines. An American friend who is fluent in Thai told me that we would have to create a foundation with 200,000 baht in a dedicated bank account, and the money cannot be touched at all. Of course do your own due diligence and make sure this will apply to you. I believe also that anybody coming in to help/volunteer etc will need a temporary work permit.

Try 2 million if you are setting up a foundation It will be in the for of an irredeemable bond..

I looked at setting up at charity for a local dog sanctuary and from what I found out on the internet it costs 500,000 bht.

This money will never be seen again even if the charity/organization closes . But once it is at this stage it is seemingly possible to transfer the money to another organization or to another charity name. They don't get the money but the 500k is then put in their name as cost of starting the charity. Seemed like a nightmare if you ask me and also there are the taxes to be paid on money donated etc .