Office Of National Buddhism Has Proposed 'people Love Temples'

Jai Dee

Office of National Buddhism has proposed 'People Love Temples'

The Office of National Buddhism will arrange a project called ‘Khon Rak Wat’ (คนรักษ์วัด), or 'People Love Temples', in Phutthamonthon district, Nakhon Pathom province. The project’s objective is to make temples a place for spiritual sanctuary in accordance with the four principles of Buddhism, which are cleanliness, calmness, brilliantness and happiness.

Another aim is to develop temples into a genuine learning center. This project will be piloted in 2007, and it will be dispersed throughout the whole country, beginning from the North.

Khunying Thipawadi Meksawan (ทิพาวดี เมฆสวรรค์), the Minister attached to the Prime Minister's Office, said Office of National Buddhism has proposed this project as the government is emphasizing on temple development. The office foresees that technological advancement is having a considerable impact on the Thai society.

Consequently, many people have abandoned the traditional culture and become more distant to the temples.

This project will be set up with the help from all involved parties including the government, the public and private sectors, various foundations and associations.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 November 2006

The article is interesting, but what caught my attention was this:

The project’s objective is to make temples a place for spiritual sanctuary in accordance with the four principles of Buddhism, which are cleanliness, calmness, brilliantness and happiness.

I never heard of it. Perhaps something was lost in a bad translation.

Edited by Grover

The article is interesting, but what caught my attention was this:

The project’s objective is to make temples a place for spiritual sanctuary in accordance with the four principles of Buddhism, which are cleanliness, calmness, brilliantness and happiness.

I never heard of it. Perhaps something was lost in a bad translation.

Yeah, I think what got lost in the translation was the Buddha's teachings!!!

Chownah

Yeah, I think what got lost in the translation was the Buddha's teachings!!!

Chownah

Rule No. 1: A ''Buddhist'' country really doesn't have the death penalty ...

Thailand is a Thai country. It's called Thailand not Buddhaland. ... :o