Three dual-track train projects to be proposed to cabinet in November

snoop1130

Three dual-track train projects to be proposed to cabinet in November

298_Train.jpg

The Transport Ministry will next month seek approval from the cabinet for the construction of three dual-track train routes covering a total distance of 400 kilometres at an estimated cost of 55 billion baht, said transport permanent secretary Chartchai Thipsunavee on Thursday.

The three dual-track routes are: Nakhon Pathom-Hua Hin covering a distance of 165 kms at an estimated cost of 20 billion baht; Lop Buri-Paknam Po covering a distance of 148 kms at an estimated cost of 24 billion baht; and Hua Hin-Prachuab Khiri Khan covering a distance of 90 kms at an estimated cost of 10 billion baht.

Mr Chartchai said he would also propose two high-speed train projects – 193.5 km Bangkok-Rayong and 165-km Bangkok-Hua Hin with estimated costs of 152.5 billion baht and 94.6 billion baht respectively – to Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisit for consideration next month.

The private sector will be invited to bid for the construction of the two high-speed train projects under the PPP format.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/three-dual-track-train-projects-to-be-proposed-to-cabinet-in-november/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-20

Lost count now of the amount of railway projects that have been proposed ,considered, approved, ratified, funded, agreed, discussed, planned etc etc.    However; it's very easy to remember how many projects have actually been started...i mean dirt actually flying or even a single sod being turned....Zero !

2 hours ago, jerojero said:

Where are all these billions coming from to pay for these mega-projects on which this government keeps splurging?

I wonder if,  with current events,  they'll try claiming revenue from ' increased tourism ' ?

2 hours ago, jerojero said:

Where are all these billions coming from to pay for these mega-projects on which this government keeps splurging?

When you're not throwing B600 billion away on a rice scam, it is easy. But we're not supposed to think about the railways, hospitals, schools, other infrastructure and government services that money could have paid for, because they were elected.

Paying for these is left as a problem for the next government, just like the rice-scheme, it's easy when one is spending someone-else's future-money !

Not that they'll all get built, all just pie-in-the-sky, continuing a proud tradition in this country. :saai:

Action will speak louder than words, so, as the Kalin twins used to say....................WHEN?

I am a fan of railways and travel by train, but I am sceptical about the quality of the construction that would be used, its not good enough to take pictures when a job is completed but before a train has run and say what a wonderful bit of infrastructure we have produced, it needs to last and my experience is that things here are not built to last. Only yesterday I drove a new road junction which is still being finished and some of the "new" surfaces are already starting to collapse. These brave words for  the future need action and a huge uplift in standards.

Construction companies who win the tender should be responsible for shoddy work and made to come back and correct faulty work at no cost to the taxpayer, insert into the contract.

So, once again, these three dual track projects will continue the existing metre gauge system which is the commonly used gauge across Thailand, and the new HST routes to Rayong and Hua Hin will, presumably, be standard gauge. And when the Chinese railway projects finally get started, what will they be? Standard gauge?

20 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

So, once again, these three dual track projects will continue the existing metre gauge system which is the commonly used gauge across Thailand, and the new HST routes to Rayong and Hua Hin will, presumably, be standard gauge. And when the Chinese railway projects finally get started, what will they be? Standard gauge?

20 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Lets not worry about what they will be, as most of these 'projects' will remain figments of their fairy tale like imaginations.    I well recall five years ago we were told the new high speed BKK-Chiang Mai would be opening in 2016.   YL even designed the lunch boxes for the new route.   I'm still wondering where i can buy a ticket ?

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

No one cares about gauges lol. The fact there's a high speed service is good news. There's always negative outlooks on high tech projects produced by Asia. l look forward to the service.

...pop up some popcorn and pour your fave beverage. Kick backand enjoy the comedy. Kon Tai lack the decisiveness and chops to pull off any major project. If the Japanese are involved and are providing the financing---okay---it will be built. Or if the Germans (Siemens) are involved.

China and the long-awaited BKK-Nong Khai run? Yes---it will be built---but not in anyone's lifetime who is alive today!

...oh yes...add to the mix the Bkk-Rayong-Pattaya-Suvarnabhumi loop. Hell....let's extend the rail line to Chantaburi

and onto Sihanoukville! Most definitely a new rail line is needed from Bkk-to-Ubon Ratchatani!

Kon Tai LOVE the study money. All show, no-go. I'm amazed the MRT and BTS even got built! How did that happen?

Trainman / Ratcatcher et al....

when I read your post about "Yingluck-designed lunch boxes," I burst out laughing.

"...I thought you joking everyone."

I could not do the cut and paste in proper order---but I went and found the TV story from years ago.

You were telling the truth! Stranger than Fiction!

You know what? Kon Tai do "cute" very well and we love them for this trait. Serious infrastructure engineering?

Uh, no. Their culture doesn't breed someone to pull the project off with QUALITY. Graft and crapola construction? All too true.

On October 20, 2016 at 10:20 PM, trainman34014 said:

Lets not worry about what they will be, as most of these 'projects' will remain figments of their fairy tale like imaginations.    I well recall five years ago we were told the new high speed BKK-Chiang Mai would be opening in 2016.   YL even designed the lunch boxes for the new route.   I'm still wondering where i can buy a ticket ?

On October 20, 2016 at 10:20 PM, trainman34014 said:

I'm tired of replying to this railway crap, if you go dual gage you also compete with narrow this in turn slows the system down you also have to  be aware where  the system starts and stops,  otherwise opps.....................................:coffee1:

2 hours ago, chainarong said:

I'm tired of replying to this railway crap, if you go dual gage you also compete with narrow this in turn slows the system down you also have to  be aware where  the system starts and stops,  otherwise opps.....................................:coffee1:

The plan is not for dual "gage" but for dual track at metre gauge, which will speed the system considerably, not having to wait for a track clear of trains heading in the opposite direction.

And it's actually part of a long-term (20-year ?) on-going (but underfunded) SRT development-scheme, however announcing the next stages in this way makes it look, as though this is something wonderful & new, rather than just continuing with the current plans.

Yay for Progress ! :saai:

Sometimes I wonder if this is a new version of Disneyland, everything looks real but we know its not. Cannot even make the leap from metre guage to standard guage, try laying just one rail at standard guage so the line has 3 rails till the system becomes standard.

Perhaps we should not be to surprise by all this, after all most of the population seem to believe in ghosts and visit fortune tellers.

On 10/20/2016 at 11:09 PM, jerojero said:

Yingluck. She's just received the demand for the first instalment.

Actually I just don't understand why they don't extend the light rail system from Swampy all the way to Don Mueang. The bus journey from one airport to the other is tedious at the best of times and taking a taxi is just asking to be ripped off.

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

Sometimes I wonder if this is a new version of Disneyland, everything looks real but we know its not. Cannot even make the leap from metre guage to standard guage, try laying just one rail at standard guage so the line has 3 rails till the system becomes standard.

Perhaps we should not be to surprise by all this, after all most of the population seem to believe in ghosts and visit fortune tellers.

"....try laying just one rail at standard guage so the line has 3 rails till the system becomes standard."

Unfortunately,that idea is totally impractical since standard gauge rail has a taller profile and weighs more than the rail used in Thailand for the metre gauge system currently in use across the country.It would also require a complete new set of ties (or sleepers in British parlance). They seem to have no intention of converting the existing route system to standard gauge, merely using standard gauge for new build trackage for the "Chinese connection" and any HST system if it ever gets built.

The touted HST systems to Rayong and Hua Hin are to be on completely new roadbed and separate from the SRT tracks.

55 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Actually I just don't understand why they don't extend the light rail system from Swampy all the way to Don Mueang. The bus journey from one airport to the other is tedious at the best of times and taking a taxi is just asking to be ripped off.

"... extend the light rail system from Swampy all the way to Don Mueang."

A good idea and not sure why they never planned that, however it is not a light rail system, but uses standard gauge track and the system is powered from overhead catenary. SRT have had major problems with maintenance of the trainsets and spare sparts etc. Unfortunately this is fairly typical of this kind of operation in this country..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_Rail_Link_(Bangkok)