No fireworks at New Year - expect candles nationwide, say TAT

webfact

19 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

Surely ushering in the New Year with celebrations and lighting up the sky with fireworks, would be a good way to celebrate the life of a truly remarkable man, rather than dwell on the sadness of his death. Life and achievements should be celebrated, not hidden under a cloak of darkness!

9 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i heard a rumour that cheering at the upcoming football international against australia has been banned. satire surely?

Are you familiar with the concept of a "Dutch Auction"?

Edited by JAG

15 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i heard a rumour that cheering at the upcoming football international against australia has been banned. satire surely?

Might as well be if all the restrictions the Thai FA wants are imposed.

Seems they want everyone in sombre clothing and watching in virtual silence but what will the authorities do if large numbers of fans, start chanting, singing, cheering etc ?

4 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Might as well be if all the restrictions the Thai FA wants are imposed.

Seems they want everyone in sombre clothing and watching in virtual silence but what will the authorities do if large numbers of fans, start chanting, singing, cheering etc ?

Depends who's winning :)

17 hours ago, brain150 said:

I would imagine that tour companies will have a hard time finding anybody to celebrate new year with candles.

Maybe we just go sleep early and forget about new year altogether.

I'm sure I've been to bars where candle wax is dripped onto semi-naked bodies. Perhaps that theme could be extended this new year?

Over the years I have gone abroad to get away from the very over hyped expensive Christmas and New Year period therefore I won't be disappointed.
The spirit of Christmas and the reason we celebrate it has long gone.

Christmas, religious-based holiday. New Years, not whatsoever. Apples oranges.

Saying NO new year fireworks is a stretch, maybe no official displays would cover it.
At new year it will be too much of a temptation and there will be fireworks in many places i'm sure.

Think you may be underestimating the influence or resolve of Thai mourning period in this case. Will be zero fireworks if conflicts with mourning protocol at that time.

11 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Think you may be underestimating the influence or resolve of Thai mourning period in this case. Will be zero fireworks if conflicts with mourning protocol at that time.

I'm not so sure. Already in my area I'm seeing less and less black being worn and New Year is still a couple of months away.

On 10/28/2016 at 2:40 PM, Seizetheday said:

If I was a betting man I would bet that when TAT see how much tourism has decreased over the Xmas period they will allow certain designated areas to have a traditional New Year Celebration.

Then they will say toursim is up 42%.