Non-Immigrant ‘O’ Visa return ticket

3 minutes ago, cusanus said:

I've been in Thailand on a retirement visa for 11 years. Yes, you get the 90 day O first. You will need a bank deposit of 800,000 baht for two months OR income amounting to 65,000 baht for two months backed by a letter from the bank. Before the end of the 3rd month you take proof of that to Immigration to get the visa. The first time I needed a health checkup at RAM hospital as well and I think you might need to show proof of residence, at least you need that for the Thai driver's license. The driver's license is easy to get and well worth it if only to use as identificationand you don't need to pack around the passport. You're right, the marriage route requires only 400,000 baht (held jointly as I remember), but it's more involved and requires more checks and such, can't remember the details now but choose the retirement visa if you can do it. It's very easy to get all this done. Technically, you only need a tourist visa but that can cause serious problems, so get the non O first. I think you'll love it here, I sure do.  

Thanks for the advice, been thinking about it for 20 odd years and now the time has come, kids have grown up and left the nest.

3 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Yes, except why would you want a multi entry? You have a 90 day O, just sit tight for 60 days and get the bank letter and health certificate, then before 90 days are up go in and get the retirement extension (it's stamped/called a visa on my passport). If you do need to leave Thailand during that period, go to the Promenada office and get a re entry permit. You seem to think there's some requirement to leave Thailand, but there shouldn't be. 

Just getting all the info, l will have to fly back to Aussie on a phone call to sign important papers, it's outta my control, that's why l was asking

2 minutes ago, ellathai said:

Thanks for the advice, been thinking about it for 20 odd years and now the time has come, kids have grown up and left the nest.

Just getting all the info, l will have to fly back to Aussie on a phone call to sign important papers, it's outta my control, that's why l was asking

Oh, ok. Well, I think it's no problem just to go to Promenada and get a re entry permit, but it costs some money. I see only one reference to a non O with multi entry on the Chicago site, looks like $200 gets you a year multiple entry, maybe check that out.  

• Fee rate for each category of entry per person is collected, accordingly: Transit Visa $35.00, Tourist Visa $40.00, Non-Immigrant Visa $80.00, (one-year multiple-entry Non-Immigrant Visa: $200). Fee can be paid by Money Order or Cashier's check. (Personal check is not acceptable) Please make it payable to "Royal Thai Consulate-General, Chicago.

Just now, ellathai said:

Just now, ellathai said:

Here is a question l need to be answered, when l fly into Khon Kaen can l go to there immigration office or do l have to go to the office where l would be doing 90 day reports to?  (Sakon Nakhon) which is a 2 hour drive for my TM30

34 minutes ago, ellathai said:

Here is a question l need to be answered, when l fly into Khon Kaen can l go to there immigration office or do l have to go to the office where l would be doing 90 day reports to?  (Sakon Nakhon) which is a 2 hour drive for my TM30

When you first fly in, what is your purpose to go to an Immigration Office unless it's to get a re entry permit? Or you may need to have the TM30 stub stapled into your passport, too, I think. I doubt it makes any difference which office you go to for any of these things as long as it gets done. When you come back, you'll need to redo the TM30. Then, towards the end of the 3rd month, go to the nearest office to process the retirement visa. Go about ten days prior to the 90 day mark to give room in case there is some delay. Maybe a good idea to go much earlier at least once to check and make sure you're on track with everything. You'll find that doing the 90 day reports by mail is much easier and reliable (use EMS postal).   You are fortunate to have a Thai wife who can help with the language barrier.  

1 hour ago, ellathai said:

So if l got a multi entry Non imm O l can apply for an extension say after the first 2 months of any exit/entry. Am l understanding that right?

You can apply for an extension within the last 30 days of any of the 90 day periods a Non Imm O ME Visa allows.

With the Non Imm O ME Visa you must exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days.

The single entry 90 day Non Imm O Visa will also meet your needs for an extension.

Whichever is the least problematic to obtain.

58 minutes ago, ellathai said:

On your arrival flight you will be handed a TM6 arrival/departure card to complete.

You should state the intended address of where you will be staying.

You should obtain an extension from the Immigration office within the province your address is registered.

90 day reports must be made to the same office.

If you intend to live in Sakon Nakhon then that is the Immigration office you should use.

There is a different procedure to notify Immigration of a change of address should you move.

Edited by dentonian

2 minutes ago, dentonian said:

On your arrival flight you will be handed a TM6 arrival/departure card to complete.

You should state the intended address of where you will be staying.

You should obtain an extension from the Immigration office within the province your address is registered.

90 day reports must be made to the same office.

There is a different procedure to notify Immigration of a change of address should you move.

Yes but the wife still has to do a Tm30, so can one do that at any immigration office? That's what's confusing me

45 minutes ago, ellathai said:

Yes but the wife still has to do a Tm30, so can one do that at any immigration office? That's what's confusing me

Your wife should file the TM30 at your local Immigration office where you will reside (Sakon Nakon)  within 24 hours of reaching your dwelling which is not necessarily within 24 hours of entering Thailand.

Section 38 of the Act states;

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

If you arrive on a Saturday or Sunday, reporting on Monday will be ok.

Edited by dentonian