Thai Customs say Bestrin Group admits the first 100 NGV buses originated from China

webfact

7 hours ago, peergin said:

Are goods that are imported for the government not legally tax/duty free? If not, should they not be? After all, if duty/taxes are levied the importer pays those fees and adds them to the price. Meaning, the government receives the fees and then pays them back to the importer because they are included in the government's buying price. In other words, the government does not gain anything. It would seem more practical if purchases for the government were tax/duty free.

If they are imported by the government.  Not by a privatecompany- that would kinda defeat the whole system?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are imported by the government.  Not by a privatecompany- that would kinda defeat the whole system?

That would indeed be the most practical way to do it. Reality might look different. Not sure how this is handled in other countries.

9 hours ago, raro said:

That would indeed be the most practical way to do it. Reality might look different. Not sure how this is handled in other countries.

Yes G2G deals in theory remove some of the profit from the private sector. Unless of course corruption rears its familiar face. Thailand's only recent deals in that category that I can remember were  the Chinese rice deals. Oh no they weren't...

• 9 months later...

We understand the NGV buses new bid have been re-submitted are about to be awarded shortly. I still think CHO (1.81) has a good chance to get this mega-contract besides has many other good things brewing now, and so likely will show record revenues this and next year. This company's stock price has fallen from 4-5 Baht level 3 years ago- and is now an interesting turnaround stock, in my own view.