Resume

boter

Um, at the risk of sounding blunt, if you haven't learned to make a resume in your own country you probably shouldn't be applying for jobs in other countries. As a second thought, what kind of resume are you talking about? Are you looking for a teaching job (this is the teaching subforum)? Are you hoping to teach English or another subject? All of these things affect the answer to your question.

"Steven"

Um, at the risk of sounding blunt, if you haven't learned to make a resume in your own country you probably shouldn't be applying for jobs in other countries. As a second thought, what kind of resume are you talking about? Are you looking for a teaching job (this is the teaching subforum)? Are you hoping to teach English or another subject? All of these things affect the answer to your question.

"Steven"

Um, at the risk of sounding blunt : since this is the Teaching in Thailand forum, I did assume that it would be clear that I wanted to have specific information related to this "Teaching in Thailand" forum. So, if there are people out there reading this post who want to reply in an unrelated way, I urge them not to do so !

I don't think there is a standard format. I've employed teachers before and when I skim a resume/CV I look for the qualifications I advertised. If I don't see quickly, your resume may be put to one side. For example, a school advertises for a graduate in any discipline, a recognized TEFL qualification and experience working with children; that info should be prominent near the top of page 1. A picture to match a name to a face is a nice touch as well IMO.

Your 3 years travelling around Bongo Bongo is irrelevant and may lead an employer to think you are transient or a backpacker. Your primary school education details are usually fairly irrelevant as well.

After you send your resume be sure to follow up with a phone call a week or so later.

Good luck.

Edited by Loaded

With the advent of word processing programs such as Word, you can tailor your resume to the occasion. If it's a job teaching adults, go lightly on your experience with children. If it's a charity organization, show that you've done volunteer work.

Set a pattern (like bullets on the left margin, or complete sentences, or short phrases). Be brief and concise, but say what your prospective employer needs to see. The purpose of a resume (or CV) is to get you an interview, which in turn gets you a job.

A cover letter (or an introduction to your resume) is helpful to tell the employer what job you're applying for, and where/how they can contact you.

Since you're applying to teach English, your written communications should be absolutely pedantically perfect, grammer-wize. :o