I'd like to do volunteer work teaching English in BKK

dblaisde

Maybe just a bit of topic, but the reason the high end hospitals in Bangkok prefer Fillipina nurses to Thai nurses comes down to two things:

• One they in general have a better English level
  • And two they are often more computer literate than Thai students.

7 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Maybe just a bit of topic, but the reason the high end hospitals in Bangkok prefer Fillipina nurses to Thai nurses comes down to two things:

• One they in general have a better English level
  • And two they are often more computer literate than Thai students.

No mention of computer skills here;

http://www.manilatimes.net/thailand-to-hire-more-pinoy-nurses-teachers/173580/

The fact is that Filipino nurses will work for way less than a Thai nurse, the problem comes when the Filipino nurse has to pass the test by the Thailand Nursing and Midwifery Council, though with nursing being one of the 7 areas of employment that have been lifted by the AEC, maybe this requirement will be lifted too. Until then, very few Filipinos are nurses, most are "medical coordinators".   ;-)

On 1/8/2017 at 8:38 AM, sotonowl said:

That was crafty, I was waiting for the quote to prompt me. Please don't try and complicate something which is quite simple, bring and take was the question, have you any idea of the difference? Don't let old chomsky, (god bless him) mess with your head either, language is for communication.

Please don't think you know everything. I just thought you might be interested instead of perceiving it as a threat. How wrong I was. My very last word on this ridiculous thread.

30 minutes ago, dblaisde said:

Please don't think you know everything. I just thought you might be interested instead of perceiving it as a threat. How wrong I was. My very last word on this ridiculous thread.

Blame the OP, it seems he does not need any advice, merely pandering to his overinflated ego.

:-)

9 hours ago, dblaisde said:

Oh I don't know the half of what I should know, my head is firmly on my shoulders but I do know that you haven't answered the bring and take question so, so be it. 

On 1/1/2017 at 0:46 PM, dblaisde said:

It works the other way to...

I actually knew a Scottish guy who learned very good Thai that way. He just hung out in a lady bar and told the girls he just wanted to drink beer, and chat if they wanted to. This worked out very well (there's lots of downtime in a bar), although he learned bar girl Thai, which was pretty funny.

He even learned the Isan dialect. Unknowing girls would think they were hiding conversation from him (knowing he spoke Thai), so he got in on some very interesting conversations as a silent partner.

As you can probably guess, he was an alcoholic and died tragically on his motorbike in Hua Hin after getting his first well paying English/Math teaching job at a Thai "high school". He had just finished celebrating and was on his way home. RIP Tim.

Sitting all day in a bar to eavesdrop on the trivial details of bar girl chatter sounds pretty depressing. I guess others would find this culturally enlightening.