BMA to fast track Chao Phraya project in 2017 despite community anger

rooster59

BMA to fast track Chao Phraya project in 2017 despite community anger

By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Nation

d09f697ba4db09aea9a94041ee0fe5c4.jpeg

EFFORTS to start the Chao Phraya riverside development project are expected to intensify next year, with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) confident it will begin the bid process to find a builder.

However, the River Assembly community group has urged people to closely monitor the procedures used and money spent in the state initiative.

The BMA’s Public Works Department said the riverside promenade and the proposed pedestrian bridge from Tha Phrachan pier to Siriraj Hospital will be among government mega-projects fast-tracked next year.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303197

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-31

The deputy director of the Public Works Department pretty much sums up how things are done in this country, “We are already behind the original deadline for this project due to the heavy protest, so the Interior Ministry has asked the BMA rush the process”.

As we witnessed earlier this year with the drafting process for the so-called "people's" Constitution, these people seem oblivious to the irony of their actions, and that engagement through a participation processes is actually a governance responsibility !!!

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If it is anything like the fast tracking of the arrest of Dhammachayo, it is not going to happen.

You are quite right but a comparison between the two situations is a dichotomy. And it's all about money and influential people.

The influential people who have much to lose with the arrest Dhammachayo won't let it happen.

The influential people who have much to gain from the Chao Phraya development want things speeded up so they can get their greedy hands on the moolah.

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

Who wants to buy a condo/restaurant along the river just to hear those pesky loud jetski's and longtailboats all night long??? Not me...

I am glad I am not in the market for anything. So much for a peoples government. In one ear and out the other. 

4 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Looks like a good idea to me.

With a host of community malls and properties in the pipeline, here’s a look at what the future might hold for the Chao Phraya River in the next few years. - See more at: http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/news/malls-and-property-developments-coming-chao-phraya#sthash.1pC1lK2d.dpuf

Visions of grandeur. Make sure garbage containers fit into the budget. So much else of importance is needed its sad how towards the end of a economic cycle pictures of fairies and sugar plums dance through or our head and the heads of people we trust and put in power to do the bidding of the people. 

Edited by elgordo38

4 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Looks like a good idea to me.

With a host of community malls and properties in the pipeline, here’s a look at what the future might hold for the Chao Phraya River in the next few years. - See more at: http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/news/malls-and-property-developments-coming-chao-phraya#sthash.1pC1lK2d.dpuf

River of Dreams sounds about correct. I hope it all fits on a Ark some day as a monument to man's dreams?