Overstay office/ counter at Chiang Mai Airport

lordblackader

Note to mods: if this needs to be in the visa group, apologies.

Flying out of CNX on Friday (to KUL) with a small (<7 day overstay), not looking for a lecture as I've never overstayed before and didn't want to (and yes I know the risks), I was at Immigration twice last week looking for a 7 day extension and couldn't get one because apparently I needed to cancel my visa despite my last 90 day extension of stay ending new years day (that was after G4T told me Monday to come back on Friday and they COULD do it :(

Does anyone know if there's an office/ counter at CNX to pay an overstay, or do you just turn up to the standard immigration counter and pay it there?

Thanks. 

There is an inquiry counter on the ground floor of CNX however I was one day overstay recently.  I just fronted the immigration counter and was directed over to a nearby counter (supervisor I presume).  I smiled a lot, played old man, apologised .... was allowed to pass.  No fine.

5 minutes ago, imagemaestro said:

There is an inquiry counter on the ground floor of CNX however I was one day overstay recently.  I just fronted the immigration counter and was directed over to a nearby counter (supervisor I presume).  I smiled a lot, played old man, apologised .... was allowed to pass.  No fine.

I do a very good line in Confused Senior Citizen so I'm told. I also use it for pre-boarding aircraft before all the riff-raff get aboard, so I know there's room in the overhead locker for my stuff

Assuming you're going to be ticketed thru to KL (i.e. luggage checked thru to KL), then you would pay your overstay after you receive your boarding pass and proceed upstairs and through the final security the check.  But, before you go to the Immigration podiums for your passport check by Imm. officers, you'll see a window and counter to your left, after the security check.   That's where you go to conduct business like purchase a re-entry permit and pay overstay fines.  Somewhere along the way someone, like an alert airline counter agent downstairs, may point out that you're on overstay and ask if you have enough to pay the fine before checking you (and your luggage) in for the flight.

Be sure to get to the airport early to allow plenty of time for processing by Imm.  They give receipts for this (and other transactions like re-entry permits) and there can be a queue, esp. if there really are Confused Senior Citizens being processed.