address registry at immigration office

Hi Guys

I got a retirement visa at at Sydney on Oct 2016. arrived Phuket at 5 Dec 2016. Contact Immigration and let my address at Phuket. Then moved to Mukdahan on 12 Dec. 2016. My girlfriend leased a house there.

Want to get a Thai driving licence; So applied to Land Transport dept. they send me to Immigration for address change. Officer insists that I should reported to immigration office within 24 hrs. with the owner of the house,and she refused to registered my address. What can I do now ?     Can anybody advice me please ?  She wouldnt accept my 90 day report also....

regards

Memooz 

You fill in a TM28 and TM30 as the responsible person, with copies of your passport, arrival card, etc.  It does not need the property owner, apparently you can be the "responsible person" and do the report, but it probably varies from one immigration office to another.  Be super-nice to the IO, maybe try to do it when a different IO is on duty. If there's a fine to pay - just pay it without query and put it down to experience ;)

Edited by jpinx

Go back with completed TM28 change of address form (  http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm28.pdf ) and get a TM30 form ( http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm30.pdf ) completed by the home owner.

You will also need a copy of the lease agreement with copy of the home owners house book and ID card attached to it. Since it is in your girl friend name she may need to write a statement that you are living with her and attach a copy of her ID card to it.

I'm in the process of moving from Pattaya to Buriram, partly due to the troubles I was having in Jomtien due to an unhelpful owner in Pattaya.  I was unable to get a marriage extension because the owner of the hotel I was staying in didn't want to give me their house book and ID card.  In Buriram (80 km outside the city) we are arranging a lease with a helpful owner.  She is aware of the regulations, but the trip to immigration is a PITA.  She said that the pu yai ban told her we just needed to register at the police station.  Can anyone confirm/deny this?  Would we be able to submit both the tm-28 and tm-30 a the police station?  

tia

16 minutes ago, tlock said:

I'm in the process of moving from Pattaya to Buriram, partly due to the troubles I was having in Jomtien due to an unhelpful owner in Pattaya.  I was unable to get a marriage extension because the owner of the hotel I was staying in didn't want to give me their house book and ID card.  In Buriram (80 km outside the city) we are arranging a lease with a helpful owner.  She is aware of the regulations, but the trip to immigration is a PITA.  She said that the pu yai ban told her we just needed to register at the police station.  Can anyone confirm/deny this?  Would we be able to submit both the tm-28 and tm-30 a the police station?  

tia

Perhaps the TM28 could be done at a police station but they may not accept it.

Best to do the TM28 and TM30 at immigration or they will not have a record of it being done.

You should be able submit the TM30 form if the owner completes it and attaches signed copies of her house book and ID card to it.

You will likely need the rental agreement also to do the TM28 at immigration.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps the TM28 could be done at a police station but they may not accept it.

Best to do the TM28 and TM30 at immigration or they will not have a record of it being done.

You should be able submit the TM30 form if the owner completes it and attaches signed copies of her house book and ID card to it.

You will likely need the rental agreement also to do the TM28 at immigration.

OK- we'll suck it up and head to immigration tomorrow.  I guess we'll just go for the marriage extension all in one shot.  

This is a relaxed month to month arrangement while we are building a house, we didn't sign any official rental agreement.  Is there anything official they are looking for in the rental agreement, or can it be a simple 1 sentence thing like 

This is an agreement that Mr. and Mrs. X are staying at 123 Thammachat Ct and will pay 2500 thb/month on a month by month basis.

10 minutes ago, tlock said:

OK- we'll suck it up and head to immigration tomorrow.  I guess we'll just go for the marriage extension all in one shot.  

This is a relaxed month to month arrangement while we are building a house, we didn't sign any official rental agreement.  Is there anything official they are looking for in the rental agreement, or can it be a simple 1 sentence thing like 

This is an agreement that Mr. and Mrs. X are staying at 123 Thammachat Ct and will pay 2500 thb/month on a month by month basis.

They will expect it to be a bit more than a single line. You can get a fill in the blanks rental agreement at book and stationary shops that will be accepted. The owner and your wife complete it, sign it and have one witness sign it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keeniau96 said:

If the owner refuses then you are stuck. Owner has to file her form at immigration and you follow that with your form. If she no go you better find another place to stay.

Amazing that your ability to file depends upon the whim of the landlord. Certainly no rule of law here. Landlord should be hit with stiff fines until compliance. But TIT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tlock said:

tia

You can only file at a Police station if their is no Immigration office within your Province.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

Thai Immigration Act 2522en-immigration.pdf

I had the same scenario when I first came to Thailand. I filed a TM28 and a TM30 with the local Police although they had no idea about the Immigration Act. I had to obtain the assistance of a Thai to explain the situation. They eventually, still bemused, signed and returned the receipt parts.

A few months later when having to visit my local (distant) Imm office to obtain another extension, I filed another TM28 and TM30 with them, but took the receipts of my previous report to the Police. They stated I followed the correct procedure and subsequently changed my details on their database without any issues.

You should file within 24 hours, so date your TM28 and TM30 with yesterdays date of the date you file.

They are non the wiser and it avoids a fine for late filing.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2017 at 10:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

They will expect it to be a bit more than a single line. You can get a fill in the blanks rental agreement at book and stationary shops that will be accepted. The owner and your wife complete it, sign it and have one witness sign it.

This was quite helpful.  I wouldn't have expected it, but sure enough at the local internet/photo/print shop they had a book of pre-fab Thail leases for 30 baht.  It was a relatively painless experience since I made my expectations regarding the TM 30 clear before signing the lease and paying for the room, the owner provided all relevant documentation.  

I'm not sure if correct procedure was followed at Buriram immigration, however since they are the folks that will providing future extensions I am comfortable if they were comfortable.  They took the TM 30 and gave me a receipt and attached it to my passport, and told me the TM 28 was for if I move somewhere else and kept it with their copy of the TM 30 and didn't provide any receipt.