Taxi Ride By Police Officer

Nepal4me

The other day I was arriving back into BKK and checked the downstairs normal taxi's. The lineup was way long so I went back upstairs and asked one of the touts, ok, how much for a taxi/limo to Sathorn Rd. They said 900 baht incl. tolls. A lot more than the metered taxis at 250 baht or so but worth it to save the line up hassle for the metered taxis.

My limo/taxi came w/i 5 minutes and a guy in a nice Honda SUV picked me up. I sat in the front seat as I like to practice my Thai with a captive audience, i.e. he can't go anywhere and must put up with my butchered Thai. Actually, this is standard procedure for me, it's like a free one hour Thai lesson (1 hour since the traffic was bad).

Anyway, about 5 minutes into the ride, we're chatting away and I'm understanding 50%. He tells me he's a police officer and shows me his ID. He explained he's a policeman at the airport in the morning and does these taxi runs in the aft/eve.

After 30 minutes or so, he said, I should take his number and if I ever have any problem, I can call him to help me. I thought, that sounds pretty good. After a few years in Thailand, I've never had any problem but who knows, shit can happen. He dropped me at my condo and we exchanged numbers.

I talked to my wife (Thai) when I got home and told her about this offer from the policeman and she just said "that's good, you can call him some time to say hello". My Thai is very bad and talking to Thai people in person is ok but talking on the phone is much more difficult for me.

After all that, my question really is: Has anybody had the experience of a policeman moonlighting as a taxi/limo driver and what about one wanting to befriend a falang?

Further on this guy, he's late 30's. From Buriram but worked in Korat for 8 years and from what I understood had 8 provinces under his responsibility. He seems to indicate that he had some tenure, some status but I'm not sure to what level. I forgot to ask him if he studied at the police Academy. He said he studied English in school from 11 yrs to 18yrs but really only could speak a few words and very simple sentences.

Thoughts?

After all that, my question really is: Has anybody had the experience of a policeman moonlighting as a taxi/limo driver and what about one wanting to befriend a falang?

I've met a few police and also army guys working a taxi as a second job - mainly because the salary in their primary occupation is so bad. I think its quite common.

Traffic or crime police? Not enough salary? Do you see how much bribe the T. police take from motorists and the C. police from foreigners. The other day a Burmese maid in one friend's house, whose document to allow her to work legally in Bangkok was under process, was stopped by c. police and had to pay up 16,000 baht :D. Not enough pay? :o and no receipt issued.

I don't know Thailand , but it would be the same for all countries if a policeman has made the effort to befriend you, it would be unwise to splatter it over the internet. You should be proud of yourself that he has taken a shine to you. On the other hand, i would really get to know him before saying anything to anyone or going anywhere with him. As for the moonlighting as a Taxi driver, good on him. I imagine that it is harder to feed a family in Thailand than some places in the world.

Cheers.

The other day I was arriving back into BKK and checked the downstairs normal taxi's. The lineup was way long so I went back upstairs and asked one of the touts, ok, how much for a taxi/limo to Sathorn Rd.

I have never been to the new airport, i did not know it was still like this. :o

From personal experience “cultivating” a police officer is not going to help you if you get into deep shiit.

They are not going to jeopardize their career for some Farang who’s in trouble.

Just my thoughts.

Beachcomber.

I agree completely. If you are planning on getting into deep sh1t then you need to cultivate a member of parliament....and probably not one from TRT.

Chownah

If he is indeed a Police Officer, then the fact that he is working as a taxi driver to implement his income should be enough to tell you that he is NOT high enough up the 'food chain' to be of any real use to you :o

You have to wonder how he lost his position as well.

From Buriram but worked in Korat for 8 years and from what I understood had 8 provinces under his responsibility. He seems to indicate that he had some tenure, some status but I'm not sure to what level.

If he is indeed a Police Officer, then the fact that he is working as a taxi driver to implement his income should be enough to tell you that he is NOT high enough up the 'food chain' to be of any real use to you :o

Exactly.

He has got one thing on his mind.

How can I scam this Farang?

I've taken a ride in a meter taxi with a cop that was working evenings as a taxi driver.

Didn't think too much about it except, "No wonder the police take bribes if they need to drive a taxi at night to make ends meet".

Edited by dave111223