ABS Plastic glue source needed

dblaisde

Hi All,

No really housing related (a cracked ABS plastic laptop lid), but I need ABS plastic glue/cement to fix it. I've

googled around and no other glues or autobody products will bond well enough.

I thought DIY housing might have a clue, since ABS glue is sometimes used in plumbing.

I live in Bangkok.

Thanks.

If you can remove the lid I would use acetone to melt the edges and stick them together. Don't bother asking for acetone as in my experience no one knows what it is in Thailand. Instead buy some cheap odorless nail polish remover. 

If there is little or no stress, you could also try simple superglue. 

21 minutes ago, Arjen said:

Nail Polish remover contains oil, to prevent the nails get white, So nail polish remover is good for removing glue, but not for gluing!

ABS is not glueable (correct word??) It is weldable.

ABS is glueable with the appropriate adhesive , don't know if it is available in Thailand although would think so

Sadly ABS (Awful Black Stuff) is nearly as difficult to glue as PTFE. Many adhesives seem to work then simply fall off after even a short time.

Proper ABS adhesives do exist, but good luck finding them here :(

1 hour ago, Arjen said:

ABS is not glueable (correct word??) It is weldable.

Yes.

To really abuse the industry nomenclature they call it Solvent Cement For Plastic, used to create a material weld.

ABS, PVC, and CPVC each have their own specific solvent. But if you are 'gluing' one type of plastic to another then you use a Transition Cement that's designed to bond the the two specific types of material.

ive got 1 can of it from the states. used a little but not sure its good still. doesnt last long after opened over here.

may be able to put some in a syringe... for ya

just checked still good

pm if interested

WIN_20170118_190414.JPG

Edited by INDI12
add pm

On 1/17/2017 at 6:16 PM, Gulfsailor said:

If you can remove the lid I would use acetone to melt the edges and stick them together. Don't bother asking for acetone as in my experience no one knows what it is in Thailand. Instead buy some cheap odorless nail polish remover. 

If there is little or no stress, you could also try simple superglue. 

Thanks for your interest. Attached is a picture of the lid and it ain't pretty, and the hinges move only with too much effort though I've tried to clean them with spray cleaner. I was hesitant to spray lube in there.

My idea is to use an ABS panel (my son is flying here anyway so he'll take one along) and the ABS cement I found below yesterday by searching the internet...if they're out I'll do the acetone thing as you recommend.

http://www.zenco.co.th/ta-cement-for-abs.html

A Japanese company in Lad Prao area. I'll probably need to layer the patches for strength so it's going to take a lot of cement I think. I'll have to do this outside!

crack.jpg

I presume that the hinge attaches to the piece that has broken off.

I have done a semi-successful similar repair on a notebook where the lid was made of alloy. I used a combination of superglue and epoxy.

Superglue because it is non-viscous enough to perfectly align the 2 pieces and hold them that way while epoxy is applied in a thick layer across both sides of the break. Doesn't look very pretty and you may need to remove the LCD panel to get access to the other side.

The leverage on those little hinges is quite high so unless you can layer both sides I am doubtful it is going to work.

I say it was semi-successful because the repair lasted about a year before the epoxy snapped.

If your son is flying from the US, another possibility would be to search on ebay for a model with the same lid that has been water damaged or has a blown mainboard. Often notebooks in that condition will go for USD50 or less.

On ebay search use the terms "For parts or repair" or "As is" along with the model number.