Old Volks Beetle restorer

LannaGuy

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

part number for the strap only is 113857611E.  3 other parts required. 113857637B - 635C and 639A

in UK set here £10 a side - https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-beetle/beetle_interior_parts/beetle_interior_parts--and--dash_parts/white_assist_strap_kit_beetle_2fslash67-79_bus_80-92_10514/ so are available repo

but i would have thought 2nd hand over here should be available, but some facebook posters ask for a fortune because it has a VW stamp. but i will keep a look out while i am looking for bits for myself.

Thanks Steve.

Actually there is a 15% discount :tongue:

And they seem to ship worlwide...

As well I had a look at eBay, but as you say: the "VW stamp" alone is extremely expensive...

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, alaninlamphun said:

There is a vw shop near to the British consulate on the opposite side of the road that might be worth a look.
All sorts of air cooled spares and a VW kubelwagen to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

As I'm not british, may I ask you where is the British Consulate in CNX?

Thanks

11 hours ago, gobs said:

Have a look here:

http://www.volkspare.net/2007/product.php

And go to page 9. You can see it complete "for sale" at the top right ( Part No: 113 857 611E-WH,IV )...

But I don't know yet how to order (if not a wholesaler) nor even if the site is up to date. As well it seems his Facebook address/page is closed, so...

More investigations needed.

scroll down on this page a pair for 1,500 baht -- https://www.facebook.com/pg/volkstorybkk/shop/?rid=1017265631630546&rt=9&ref=page_internal

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

Thanks Steve. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Assist strap volkstory.jpg

Note brackets are metal and come with a coat-hook-shapped plastic cache as the original assist straps :thumbsup:

1,500 Bahts for a pair (2 full complete pieces) is not expensive IMHO. That's about 40 Euros or 20 Euros one complete piece. For me it's ok...

And many more fun bits for sale there.

Good find. Cheers!

Not a beetle man myself, prefer the other German manufacturer ( well Austrian really) but I have to hand it to you guys you have some cracking motors there.

i genuinely appreciate your enthusiasm 

now if I could just find a good body shop ( paint job) for my motor in Khorat.........

10 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

would like to find a steering wheel (walnut?  or similar). Think it would look really nice

79-4026-empi-fat-grip-light-wood-steering-wheel-beetle-ghia.jpg

13de91bfda2aea1f2e988d8c6d5f11e7.jpg

The Empi: :wub:

Coupled with the Fuchs wheels previously shown here would be a nice mix I think...

Like in this pic from the Internet:

5012418433_6bfc6e1871_b.jpg

And not over-kill IMHO: just the right "light sport feeling"...

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

This one used to be parked on Nimman, near Warm Up Pub.

vw3.jpg

vw2.jpg

vw1.jpg

Wow, beautiful oval beetle!

This is for example a old model I would let, or restore to, original for my part: no special wheels or steering wheel or whatever. But vintage accessories, yes.

Well my point of view, of course...

19 minutes ago, alaninlamphun said:

Nice interior

nice car, looks original - takes some doing

22 minutes ago, gobs said:

Speaking of steering wheel, such is mine:

Cox 007.JPG

I believe it's the original one, from 1962 to 1971...

nice car looks like it just came off the line.

site for accessories and wheels, not for you but maybe useful for others. -  https://www.facebook.com/AFV.thailand/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

1 minute ago, alaninlamphun said:

Nice interior

Ah-ah! Thanks for the kind words, Alan...

Interior has just been done a few months ago. Very, very good work and nice finish touches...

Cox 004.JPG

Cox 005.JPG

Cox 006.JPG

Though, according to the original '67 VW chart, for my Red Ruby Beetle the interior ought to be platinum (a kind of dark grey) for the cloth and black for the leatherette, as stated here:

vw-bug-1967-colors-inside.jpg

But at the end I felt it was too dark (not even considering the thai hot weather), so I went for something clearer and fancier with a white sunroof, beige/caramel color tones and a crimson edging around the seats.

:tongue:

11 minutes ago, steve187 said:

nice car, looks original - takes some doing

nice car looks like it just came off the line.

site for accessories and wheels, not for you but maybe useful for others. -  https://www.facebook.com/AFV.thailand/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Thanks Steve!

Yes she has gone through a full refurb from scratch. Not really perfect (I'm too demanding maybe), but overall very nice though...

And thanks also for so many useful links.

I'm curious to know what Lannaguy is going to do to his Beetle. I'm following this very closely...

2 minutes ago, gobs said:

Thanks Steve!

Yes she has gone through a full refurb from scratch. Not really perfect (I'm too demanding maybe), but overall very nice though...

And thanks also for so many useful links.

I'm curious to know what Lannaguy is going to do to his Beetle. I'm following this very closely...

sometimes we can all be a fit over the top, I am just going to get my Kombi drive-able and use-able, but at the back of my mind is a really nice type 3, but not sure if it will come into my wife mind at any stage. on a slightly different note i am thinking of going to the VW Siam festival next weekend, be nice to look at some nice vehicles and a chance to look around for some 2nd hand parts, that i need .

yes will Lannaguy keep it original or change the look.

where did you get the trimming done