Vietnam Visa

pingping

I think what most (if not all) agents offer is the authorization letter for a Visa on Arrival.   Which you apparently want to avoid because yes, sometimes you might have to wait for up to an hour while it is being processed after you present the authorization letter, etc.

To actually get a Visa you need to present your Passport with photo and completed application form at a Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate (or have someone else do that for you, which I suppose an agent could but would charge for the service and you would have to trust them to safely handle and return your passport).

Getting a Visa at the Vietnamese Embassy on Wireless Road in Bangkok (it is near the US Embassy) is fairly painless.  They have varied pricing though.  If you want same day or next day service you pay a hefty price.  If you are OK with it taking 2 or 3 days the price is not so bad.

I've used both the Travel Shoppe and online (letter for so-called visa on arrival).  Online has an option for express service at VN Immigration where they cut in line.  Once I opted for that and the guy never showed, never answered his phone.  I waited two hours.  Other times it worked.  Travel Shoppe worked best but at the time you could only get 30 days single entry from them, but it is an actual visa, not a letter.  If that works for you, definitely go with Travel Shoppe.

Edited by mesquite