Jars Of Curry Sauce - Where?

mallmagician

Hi All,

In England, I love eating nice Indian Curry. To eat it at home, I would simply go to the supermarket and buy a jar of Curry Sauce (Like Pataks), Korma, Vindaloo, Balti etc. Whatever took my fancy. Cook chicken and onion, add sauce, put over rice. Eat!

Well, with this being Englands national dish (!) I am absolutely gobsmacked to find that jars of Sharwoods or Pataks or ANYONES Indian Curry sauces are unavailable in the two "Expat" type supermarkets in which I've looked!

With the number of Brits here in Thailand, someone would make a FORTUNE from selling this stuff.

Has anyone seen any anywhere in Chiang Mai? I've tried Rimping, and Carrefour. Any help would be much appreciated!

Oh, and while we're on the subject, anyone seen Pot Noodles here? (Brits will understand that one!)

Cheers

Phil

Hi All,

In England, I love eating nice Indian Curry. To eat it at home, I would simply go to the supermarket and buy a jar of Curry Sauce (Like Pataks), Korma, Vindaloo, Balti etc. Whatever took my fancy. Cook chicken and onion, add sauce, put over rice. Eat!

Well, with this being Englands national dish (!) I am absolutely gobsmacked to find that jars of Sharwoods or Pataks or ANYONES Indian Curry sauces are unavailable in the two "Expat" type supermarkets in which I've looked!

With the number of Brits here in Thailand, someone would make a FORTUNE from selling this stuff.

Has anyone seen any anywhere in Chiang Mai? I've tried Rimping, and Carrefour. Any help would be much appreciated!

Oh, and while we're on the subject, anyone seen Pot Noodles here? (Brits will understand that one!)

Cheers

Phil

Never understood the attraction of Pot Noddle myself.Regarding Indian food,make you own sauce man!!You,ve got all the spices you need at your dispossal in Thailand!!Its not hard!

Never understood the attraction of Pot Noddle myself.Regarding Indian food,make you own sauce man!!You,ve got all the spices you need at your dispossal in Thailand!!Its not hard!

Pot Noodle is the hangover food of kings!

Yes, I could cook the sauce myself, but why bother if I can find pre bottled sauces! :o Plus, I don't have any good recipes to cook "UK style" Indian curries.

Cheers - Keep the posts coming! Someone else must have gone on this quest before?

Cheers

Phil

PS - P1P does good sauces - If he reads this - MAKE SOME CURRY! :D I will be a HUGE customer (Huge for you coz I will buy loads of the stuff - and I will be Huge because I'll eat so much curry!)

And today I tried Kasem Stores - Very impressive collection of sauces, but no curry sauces!

Hmmm, makes me think! Someone I spoke to suggested the heavy emphasis on American Products vs. English may have something to do with Americans not adapting to Thai food as readily as an English person might. Food for thought! :o

Anyway, If you are English and read this thread, and want to also buy Curry to make at home, please post a comment on this thread, I may well begin a little Curry enterprise!!

Cheers

Phil

bangkok has them. pharuhat area. lots of indian grocery stores. know anyone who frequents that area? i know they have pataks pickles and chutneys. i know of someone who orders his indian groceries through phone and gets them the next day through nim see seng.

bangkok has them. pharuhat area. lots of indian grocery stores. know anyone who frequents that area? i know they have pataks pickles and chutneys. i know of someone who orders his indian groceries through phone and gets them the next day through nim see seng.

Oooo, a lead!

Tigerbeer, what is "nim see seng" ? And do you have a number I can call? Do they deliver to the north? Or is it by post?

Many Thanks

Phil

Sorry mate. :D they came from NZ.Couldn't help but post a pic.

Every time somebody visits me I insist on a few things that they bring.

Sharwoods vindaloo(hot curry paste) and madrass paste

OXO cubes

and vacume packed aged beef...4-5 kgs of the stuff.

I have been posted the sauce many times.easy as falling off a log.All I do is get my sister to address the parcel in my wifes name.Three bottles at a time and a heap of oxo cubes.no duty etc at all.normally arrives within a week. :o

M. Magician, i;ll get you a number you can call for someone who owns an indian grocery store in phahurat, bangkok. order whatever you want. I am sure they have curry paste like which you mentioned. Nim See SEng is the local courier company based out of chiang mai. They are nationwide. They deliver straight to your house anywhere in chiang mai. and at dirt cheap prices.

i'll pm you the number latest tomorrow afternoon :o.