Murder At Monkey Club?

tonytiger

A thai friend recently told me that a couple weeks back someone was shot and killed at the Monkey Club in Chiang Mai. Saw it on Thai news. Does anyone know anything about this? I have been there but not sure I want to go anymore after hearing that. Supposedly it was a couple of cops who got into an argument with some students and one cop ended up shooting the other cop who was trying to calm him down.

A small town outside of Atlanta, Georgia, (USA) called Kennesaw passed a law requireing all citizens to own at least one firearm....Crime is waaay down sinced this law was passed.

A few years ago, local predators in Miami Florida had a brainstorm. They started carjacking & robbing tourists after they left the airport (usually driving rental cars). Why, you may ask? They were 100% certain that anyone who just got off of an airplane did not have a gun.

When Adolf Hitler was comming to power, one of the first things he did was sieze all firearms from the general population. This is also a tactic of most present day dictators. Sort of guarantees a smooooth transition...Hmmmmm.

Let me take a WAG...do you think Kim Jong Il allows his citizens to own a firearm? I don't know for sure, but I would guess that answer is no.

........an armed society is a polite society.

Indeed, I think you are on to something. Two examples on point, the U.S. of A. and Iraq, both known for the care they take not to offend others. And by way of contrast, we have countries like the United Kingdom and Japan, whose lack of delicacy and propriety is well known around the globe. Need I say more?

I think you may have missed my point. Let me try again. When I said an armed society is a polite society, I did not mean "some" of the people, I meant "all" of the people. If you know the bloke you are about ready to pick a fight with, or rob, is most likely armed, you may not pick that fight or rob that house (i.e. the Kennesaw example). Gun ownership in the US is not mandatory, only a right. That is the problem with rights, quite often they are abused by some. Still it is better to have them than not. Just ask a North Korean living under Kim Jong Il or a Kurd that lived under Sadam Hussien.

I might also add that I am as fed up with a lot of the goings on in America as some of you seem to be. That being said, if it is such a terrible place, why is it that millions of people from every country in the world are doing everything they can, including risking their life trying, to get in, legally & illegally?

Also, I notice that you gentleman, Rasseru & Johnson83, did not have a comment regarding my other points, (Kennesaw Ga, Miami Fla, Adolph Hitler & Kim Jong Il). What say you (or other members) to these? Being a civilized person and an always eager student, I enjoy the discussion & exchange. As another member's signature cites, "I am not young enough to know everything."

I trust you gentlemen (and women) will respond with the "delicacy & propriety" that you are known for and/or espouse.

Regards, TLloyd

My apologies to the moderators of this forum. It was not my intention to hijack this thread. Should you feel it necessary to delete my post and response, please fell free to do so with my blessing. I realize this is not the place for a discussion on gun control. Sort of a moot point as farangs are not allowed to own guns. I will have to sell mine prior to my move this summer.

I suppose I will take up archery. :o

tyloyd

The USA has 12000 gun murders a year

Thailand 18000

UK 66

Japan 40

End of debate.

:o Debate is not over.

The number of murders by guns is not the only statictic that need to be looked at.

Let us look at the populations of each of these countries.

Let us accept your data on the number of wrongful deaths by guns.

Now let us look at the number of wrongful deaths by guns beside the population of each of the mentioned countries.

Populations as of 21:54 GMT Dec 22, 2006.

USA Population 300,448,696

Deaths by Guns 12,000

Thailand Population 64,631,595

Deaths by Guns 18,000

UK Population 60,609,153

Deaths by Guns 66

Japan Population 127,463,610

Deaths by Guns 40

Based on the data presented, below are the statistics:

USA Population 300,448,696 1 death in every 25,037.39 people

Deaths by Guns 12,000

Thailand Population 64,631,595

Deaths by Guns 18,000 1 death in every 3,590.64 residents

UK Population 60,609,153

Deaths by Guns 66 1 death in every 918,320.50 residents

Japan Population 127,463,610

Deaths by Guns 40 1 death in every 3,186,590.25 residents

The deaths per residents is accepting your data on the annual wrongful deaths by guns.

Even though the UK deaths sounds extremely low.

:D

Well TLloyd, in regards to your first point:

A small town outside of Atlanta, Georgia, (USA) called Kennesaw passed a law requireing all citizens to own at least one firearm....Crime is waaay down sinced this law was passed.

The nation of Australia passed a law restricting firearms and the opposite effect occurred, go figure.

In regards to your second point:

A few years ago, local predators in Miami Florida had a brainstorm. They started carjacking & robbing tourists after they left the airport (usually driving rental cars). Why, you may ask? They were 100% certain that anyone who just got off of an airplane did not have a gun.

And the carjacking was done with a pom pom.....

In regards to your third point:

When Adolf Hitler was comming to power, one of the first things he did was sieze all firearms from the general population. This is also a tactic of most present day dictators. Sort of guarantees a smooooth transition...Hmmmmm.

I agree with your subtle point, the US population should use their enormous stock pile of arms to overthrow the present dictator, why haven't they?

Edited by Douggie Style

That being said, if it is such a terrible place, why is it that millions of people from every country in the world are doing everything they can, including risking their life trying, to get in, legally & illegally?

I trust you gentlemen (and women) will respond with the "delicacy & propriety" that you are known for and/or espouse.

Regards, TLloyd

Every government has their problems.

However, the USA is the one and only country that has millions of people on their country's quota list to immigrate to the USA.

Illegal immigration into the USA is estimated to be in the millions annually.

I have lived in Asian/Oriental cultures for well over 30 years and 5 of those years were in Thailand.

I have been around the block many times and took good notes during every turn.

I am a born citizen of the good ole USA.

I take pride in not only my right to bare arms, as provided by our constitution, but also to be licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

The situation is that the bad guys can always find ways to buy guns.

In States that have provisions for average citizens to carry concealed handguns it serves as a deterrent. The bad guys do not know if that little ole lady has a Glock and is ready to protect herself!

I enjoy the freedom afforded me and all citizens of the United States of America to travel to over 85% of the countries in this world without having to have a visa for at least the first 30 days in each of these countries.

tyloyd

The USA has 12000 gun murders a year

Thailand 18000

UK 66

Japan 40

End of debate.

This confirms what is generally known: all other things taken into account you are 7 times more likely to be murdered in Thailand than in the US of A

So much for "jai yen yen" :o

Edited by john b good

Try that law here and watch the murder rate climb....Stupid idea.

Howdy partners.

I know it's fun discussing gun politics, but it falls out of the scope of this thread and forum. Please let this thread stay on the original topic, the murder at Monkey club. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of guns in general, find a better suited venue.

Thanks in advance. :D

Look out..............Meadish is flexing his fingers and ready for the fast draw. :o

Howdy partners.

I know it's fun discussing gun politics, but it falls out of the scope of this thread and forum. Please let this thread stay on the original topic, the murder at Monkey club. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of guns in general, find a better suited venue.

Thanks in advance. :o

I have got no real interest in this topic, and I know discussing mods is against the rules, but I would like to compliment Meadish on his good humour. Firm but fair and with a smile in his words. Maybe you could run a refresher course Meadish and show a couple of the other mods how it is done.

Keep up the good work pal :D

I agree with your subtle point, the US population should use their enormous stock pile of arms to overthrow the present dictator, why haven't they?

Democracy? :o

Exactly! Democracy provides the protection, the right to bear arms does not provide any protection against bad government in a mature democracy.

It merely provides a feeling of security in high fear individuals. A case where what may be desired by the individual is detrimental for the whole.

The nation of Australia passed a law restricting firearms and the opposite effect occurred, go figure.

PIFFLE :o

The chances of gun death in Australia dropped twice as steeply after 700,000 guns were destroyed in a national firearm ‘buyback’ and amnesty, reveals a decade long study in Injury Prevention.

The study tracks the 10 years following the introduction of gun law reform in Australia between 1996 and 1998.

The legislation was prompted by a firearm massacre in Tasmania in 1996, when 35 people were killed and a further 18 seriously wounded.

The reforms banned the use of semi automatic and pump action shotguns and rifles, destroying more than 700,000 weapons taken from a population of 12 million adults.

The study shows that in the 18 years before the legislation was passed, there were 13 mass shootings in Australia, in which 112 people died and 52 were wounded.

There have been no mass shootings since the law came into force.

The fall in the number of deaths associated with the use of firearms, including suicides, rapidly accelerated after the law took effect.

The decline was at least twice as high (6%) as it had been before the reforms were introduced.

In the 18 years prior to the legislation, on average, 491 people took their lives, using a firearm. After the legislation, this fell to an average of 246.

Similarly, the number of murders using guns fell from an annual average of 93 to just over 55.

There was no evidence that the use of other methods to commit suicide or homicide increased.

Before the introduction of the law, the overall number of homicides not related to guns had increased 1% a year. After the law took effect, this number fell by almost 2.5% a year.

And the total numbers of suicides fell by 4% after having risen annually by 2% before the introduction of the gun laws.

Read Here:GUNS KILL PEOPLE Edited by jingjoe