Canadian Visa For Gf

hi, i have been reading the forum for quite some time but i am wondering if i can post a question to any other CANADIANS out there that have gone thru the visa process to bring gf home (to canada) for a visit to help shed some light.

we (my gf & i) are about to try the visa app for her & here is what we have...

- i have funds (more than enough to satisfy immigration for a visit) prove i can support her trip to canada (return back to thailand) & her stay in canada... do i need to transfer some funds to her bank so immigration can see she has sufficient... if so how much is suggested?

- i have a 1 bedoroom apt back home in canada that i can take photos of with me in it to prove i have adequate space (for 2 peeps anyhow)

- we have photos (with timestamps), emails & phone calls to prove we have known each other for 2 years

- she has a kid... her child lives in hometown with her mother while she lives in BKK... not sure what the embassy will say about that... but gf lives in BKK to earn $$ to send to family which she can prove with post office receipts, i think that could show that she is depended upon by her family... reason to return!

- she has a job but it isn't a glamourous one... she works giving massage in local thai neighbourhood... yeah yeah yeah i hear the jeering already! but she started 2 months ago because she knows she needs a job to hopefully get a letter from employer stating job is waiting for her upon return from canada... besides massages in home feel good!

- so i haven't had a job back home in 2 years but i am self-sufficient with funds... actually i haven't had a job but my company still pays me a yearly wage that is in line with the average canadian wage & i can prove that with taxes... plus my reserves are in good shape to prove adequate funding

what does anyone think chances are we will get refused for a 1 month tourist visa or even be successful for the tourist visa... i am not sure what else we could do to help my GF's case... the rest seems out of our hands, so any advie or suggestions would be welomed!

Edited by nanker

I wouldnt transfer her funds they dont like quick cash influx in thai or others accounts makes immigration flag the account as unstable or something

not sure if your pics and email will make any difference her job will not Im sure cause they always assume you will try to hide her once she is here but the immigration process been change this last bit you can now apply for perm. resident status while in Canada you couldnt before

good luck doing the visitor dance with them Ive been doing the permanent resident tango for my Thai wife and 2 kids for almost a year I just read they have 800,000 cases backlog and well its not like you can just "grease" the wheel to speed up things well they did actually busted a couple immigration dudes that were taking cash or sex for faster services but its not quite the norm

g luck 2 U :o

hi, i have been reading the forum for quite some time but i am wondering if i can post a question to any other CANADIANS out there that have gone thru the visa process to bring gf home (to canada) for a visit to help shed some light.

we (my gf & i) are about to try the visa app for her & here is what we have...

- i have funds (more than enough to satisfy immigration for a visit) prove i can support her trip to canada (return back to thailand) & her stay in canada... do i need to transfer some funds to her bank so immigration can see she has sufficient... if so how much is suggested?

- i have a 1 bedoroom apt back home in canada that i can take photos of with me in it to prove i have adequate space (for 2 peeps anyhow)

- we have photos (with timestamps), emails & phone calls to prove we have known each other for 2 years

- she has a kid... her child lives in hometown with her mother while she lives in BKK... not sure what the embassy will say about that... but gf lives in BKK to earn $$ to send to family which she can prove with post office receipts, i think that could show that she is depended upon by her family... reason to return!

- she has a job but it isn't a glamourous one... she works giving massage in local thai neighbourhood... yeah yeah yeah i hear the jeering already! but she started 2 months ago because she knows she needs a job to hopefully get a letter from employer stating job is waiting for her upon return from canada... besides massages in home feel good!

- so i haven't had a job back home in 2 years but i am self-sufficient with funds... actually i haven't had a job but my company still pays me a yearly wage that is in line with the average canadian wage & i can prove that with taxes... plus my reserves are in good shape to prove adequate funding

what does anyone think chances are we will get refused for a 1 month tourist visa or even be successful for the tourist visa... i am not sure what else we could do to help my GF's case... the rest seems out of our hands, so any advie or suggestions would be welomed!

I brought my bf to Canada last summer. We prepared a 30 page binder of letters, pictures etc everything required and more. When he went in for the interview the interviewer told him nothing we had prepared guarenteed that he would return. They talked for 40 minutes and she basically told him that she belived him, and he just had to return with his return plane ticket and was given a 2 month visa. He only had 1000 Canadian in his account that I put there and they didnt seem to take any notice of it. He has had a job for 4 years but only gets 250 baht a day for it. I was under contract in Korea so I was able to show that I had to leave Canada. I understand that it is different because he is a Thai bf not a gf but I Hope this helps. Good luck!

bino thanks for your previous posts as i have read them & will certainly take from them what i can to help the visa process.

and he just had to return with his return plane ticket and was given a 2 month visa

Meme, did you actually buy an airfare for your BF before you applied for the visa?

we were refused first time (6 month visa), but i did take the whole visa process pretty cavalier the first time. gonna/wanna do things right or as right as i can this time (including just asking for 3-4 weeks, 1 month i guess visa). but i was gonna just print off a page from expedia.ca of possible return flights to LOS according to our visa app for the GF's visit. not sure i want to commit to a return airfare without knowing for sure whether we will get accepted this time or not.

any thoughts on how canadian immigration will view the GF's job in thai massage place? serious or what? she is going to get a letter stating she has a job when she returns but because of the nature of the work i am not sure how much water that will hold! if it were upto me she wouldn't work at all... i give her more money per month than her job but it was one of the issues we had last time... GF not having a job.

so i am in the process of getting job in western canada, place to rent. i am hoping once that is all done we can re-apply. i plan to include pix of us from the past 18 months (thailand & vietnam with date stamps... i know these can be maipulated but i hoped at least the effort would indicate positive intent) , emails that span that time (from last time i was home & now that i am back home after 18 months), a bill in my name with new address verifying my canadian residence, pix of my new place, a cover letter & my bank info.

i am telling the GF to get get bank books updated ready to take with her to show she has her own money (even though i will support the entire trip & my bank account should be nps to prove that). she needs to get letter from her employer, fill out app & family composition forms.

i send her the rest in the mail/fed-ex & she heads to tesco for an envelope to submit everything when she goes to the canadian embassy down near sala daeng.

anything else i can't think of that i might have forgot but could help?

any suggestions are truely appreciated! thanks

edit: would marrying this thai woman make any difference? i am not considering marriage for a simple visitor visa but because we have been together fr 18+ months... enuff time for me to be pretty certain this step is right & logical if it could help matters.

thanks again

Edited by nanker

and he just had to return with his return plane ticket and was given a 2 month visa

Meme, did you actually buy an airfare for your BF before you applied for the visa?

We did not have our tickets yet as he applied in late March and we went in July. They asked him why he did not have his ticket and he told them because we wanted to wait to see if he was granted the visa or not. So they kept his passport and told him that when he returns with a return ticket in hand he could have the visa. He returned like 4 days before we left ( He is from the south so wasnt in BKK until then) showed them the ticket and was given the visa in a couple of hours or the next day I can't remember. With the travel agent I use in Thailand, I found out after the fact that they are used to dealing with people who need proof for visas so you pick your flights and before paying they provide you with an official iteriary that you can print off and show the embassy. But you have a time frame in to pay if you want the ticket obviously. I am assuming this is stadard practice with all agents.

becasue I do not live in canada my mother wrote a letter sayin she would support his stay, room board etc. She also included her most recent T4 with it.

As for what else to include just remember that you have to show that she has to come back to thailand. We had the government head of his village right an official letter on behalf of his mother stating that she is very dependent on him as he is the youngest, not married etc. That she needs him to live close to her etc etc. Most of the questions that were asked in the interview revoloved around his family, his mom, does he want to live in Canada one day etc. She hardly asked anything about our relatioship except will we get married one day and where would I want to live. He just told the truth which was that he was nervous about going, he couldnt see himself not eating thai food everyday. He loves his home, his mom is old and he has to take care of her etc etc. While I know your gf's situation is not the same I'm just giving you an idea about how they need to see that the applicant will return to Thailand.

best of luck to you!

meme that's awesome! thanks for the quick reply & suggestions.

We had the government head of his village right an official letter on behalf of his mother stating that she is very dependent on him as he is the youngest, not married etc.
not sure the GF can get anything like this done but i will ask her... because without her (the GF) sending 3-5k home every month to her mother i really am not sure what their (GF's family) situation would be in the home town. i am sure they depend on that money every month.
That she needs him to live close to her etc etc.

my GF needs to be in BKK to earn $$$ to send home so she can't be close to her mother in hometown. i hope we can make that obvious to the embassy.

so thanks again and i will let ya know how it goes in a month or two when we are hopefully ready to apply yet again.

Edited by nanker