English Test for UK Settlement Visa

my gf is doing the test in Hammersmith , Trinity .we dont do Thailand at all but must apply from there for the settlement.how do they know who she is some months later and with a new passport if no docs are needed ? now im sweating ! many thanks !

my gf is doing the test in Hammersmith , Trinity .we dont do Thailand at all but must apply from there for the settlement.how do they know who she is some months later and with a new passport if no docs are needed ? now im sweating ! many thanks !

What visa is she on at the moment?

she is on a visitor visa so , at the moment , mad as it is , we must return to BKK to apply .after the election I will write to MP as its crazy .its another £5000 on the cost to travel and stay in BKK while they fiddle in the UK with it ! thats life !

She is here on a holiday then. You say, we must return. You don't have to return. Your GF does. When my wife went for settlement she flew back to Bangkok with most of the settlement visa application in her bag. She did the A1 at Trinity the week before she went back and that went with her too. The day after she arrived back she went for her TB test and the following day she went to VFS. She stayed in Bangkok with her cousin and his wife for the 15 days the visa took, picked the Visa etc up from VFS and flew back to Heathrow the same night. Without the visa cost it was just over £1K.

I did everything for the application from here in the UK. Much easier than the other visas as I had access my computer, scanner, printer etc.

19 hours ago, luxoretired said:

She will be given her UER number (or SELT or TRF) enters on the form.

She will, I assume, use her passport as ID when she takes the test.

From what you say, I assume this will have expired by the time she applies for settlement in Bangkok, and her new passport will have a different number.

Solution? Simple.

Brief explanation in covering letter. Supply both old and new passports; which she should do anyway.

27 minutes ago, luxoretired said:

she is on a visitor visa so , at the moment , mad as it is , we must return to BKK to apply .after the election I will write to MP as its crazy .its another £5000 on the cost to travel and stay in BKK while they fiddle in the UK with it ! thats life !

If your MP replies at all it will probably be to say that those are the rules!

Even if s/he is sympathetic, there is nothing they can do to get UKVI and the Home Office to make your wife a special case. .

It is a clear requirement that an applicant with a visit visa must return to their home country to apply for a settlement visa.

This is to prevent applicants remaining in the UK while the settlement visa is processed and to avoid the potential complication that applicants might drop off the radar and stay illegally if rejected!

I would suggest you save the cost of the stamp!

Edited by bobrussell

52 minutes ago, luxoretired said:

many thanks , can the TB be done in UK ?and necessary translations ,the local council does official translations including Thai which is amazing as they are all Indians !these are for applications in UK so valid in UK.

No. It would has to be done by an approved centre. Even if done privately here I suspect it would be much more costly anyway.

Translations are generally much cheaper in Thailand than here in the UK. If you use the council for translations they must be certified as accurate and include the qualifications of the translator. The rules do not specify where the translations need to be done.

23 hours ago, luxoretired said:

, can the TB be done in UK ?

No. Applicants must have their test carried out at a clinic approved by the Home Office.

There are none of these in the UK because applicants in the UK do not have to take a TB test.

Applicants in Thailand must have their TB test done at:-

International Organisation for Migration

Kasemkij Building
8th Floor
120 Silom Road
Bangrak
Bangkok 10500
Tel: +66 2 234 7950-5Fax: +66 2 234 7956

These lines are open Monday-Friday, 08:00-17:00 (except holidays observed by IOM).

• 1 year later...
On 5/9/2017 at 7:29 PM, rasg said:

Entirely your choice but she will then need A2 for FLR.

My wife took her test at Trinity college in Hammersmith. It's a bit different to the Thai version but it worth a look at the difference in the tests. Take a look at the Trinity tests to see the difference. Tabs on the right for more and A2.

If there is a Thai equivalent, I have no doubt somebody will post it.

How emabarrasing. Notice the 'examiner' ask 'What month is your birthday in?'.....should be 'In which month is your birthday?'

• Haha 1