Bank of England meeting 'key' to baht's value

webfact

Bank of England meeting 'key' to baht's value

By The Nation

The Bank of Ayudhya forecasts the baht will trade between Bt34.40 and Bt34.80 per dollar this week after closing at Bt34.68 last week, with the focus the Bank of England meeting this week.

Last week, foreign investors had net sales of Bt3.1 billion in the Stock Exchange of Thailand, and net bought Bt9.2 billion in the country’s bond market last week.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30314602

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-08

9 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

Don't understand a word of that, but please get us 60+ Baht to the quid again   . . . . or more if you like!

To get to those kind of levels again would require something catastrophic to happen in the Thai economy and it's difficult to see what that might be; the markets have priced in a huge win for May, so not much upside there but more likely some Brexit negotiation weakness once they get started, IE ok for the economy  in export terms but not great for those wanting to buy Baht, unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

Don't understand a word of that, but please get us 60+ Baht to the quid again   . . . . or more if you like!

The article is very short on explanation, I agree.

I think the forecast is saying that

1. the baht's value is largely determined by inflows and outflows

2. that these inflows and outflows are largely investors seeking a return either on the Thai stock exchange or Thai government bonds.

3. that the Bank of England meeting is the most important global announcement / event this week which will effect the aforementioned cash flows around the globe.

So, the headline is misleading. The BoE meeting has no specific relevance to the Thai baht. It will however affect all currencies.

2 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Hard to believe it was back up to 55 last June, just ahead of the Brexit referendum. 

14 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Hard to believe it was back up to 55 last June, just ahead of the Brexit referendum. 

Think it only managed to get to just below 53.

55 was last attained in 2015.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

7 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

The Aussie ( and probably the Loonie) is doing even worse ( peak at a touch under 33 in 2012/13; today 25.48).

Did you have to bring that up. I woke up feeling good this morning and now you've unleashed the black dog.

I last transferred at 55 last year just before the Brexit vote. That was my last transfer until I made a transfer at the end of last month. Check the rates that you will get on TransferWise app. Currently showing 44.91 but there is a transfer charge to be deducted.
Actual Baht amount that arrivesin your account I think its like w or 3 days max.
£1k = 44,582
£2k = 89,224
£10k = 446,326

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Why stop at 60 I remember it well over 70 and I could use my Nationwide debit card without any charges... :sad:

If foreign direct investment (FDI) - currently weak- shows any uptick, this could have a positive effect on the baht's value. Then again, it's hard to predict what's going to happen with the £ or $ with Trump and Brexit factors in play. These obviously will be affected accordingly. 

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, wakeupplease said:

Keep the £ weak for the foreseeable future, so less UK citzs go to the place I hope

That means you are not here so good news

14 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

That's about the maximum it went to and dropped significantly after the day of the Brexit vote

13 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

I last transferred at 55 last year just before the Brexit vote.

No you didn't

Oops and apologies, I've just realised I didn't. I must have transferred the cash the previous year in order to have had 55 fortunately it was enough to cover a couple of years expenditure, including some major purchases.