Best Cell/ Mobile Phone Package in Samui

Hi ALL

Anybody out there advise on the best mobile/ cell phone package for a samui resident.

My currently provider is AIS , but the internet is very slow - even though I have upgraded the monthly package....... Any recommendations please ?

Thank you 

Been using True all along. Excellent speeds all the time (Lamai area). 10 GB 15 days for 399 Baht (speed around 50 Mbps) or 4 Mbit unlimited traffic for 1 month for 650 Baht + VAT. At the moment I'm using the crappy 512kbit/1 Mbit unlimited package for 89 Baht+VAT per week and even this allows Youtube streaming in 480p and websites load fairly quickly.

I'd say go for the 4 Mbps package. It's enough to have two Youtube streams in HD at the same time and True also allows Torrent... the average 2 GB 1080p torrent movie would take about 17 minutes to download.

Been using True all along. Excellent speeds all the time (Lamai area). 10 GB 15 days for 399 Baht (speed around 50 Mbps) or 4 Mbit unlimited traffic for 1 month for 650 Baht + VAT. At the moment I'm using the crappy 512kbit/1 Mbit unlimited package for 89 Baht+VAT per week and even this allows Youtube streaming in 480p and websites load fairly quickly.

I'd say go for the 4 Mbps package. It's enough to have two Youtube streams in HD at the same time and True also allows Torrent... the average 2 GB 1080p torrent movie would take about 17 minutes to download.

Intresting, normal WiFi have max 48 mbits but usually around 20mbits.
Of course you can can make higher than that but that requires the provider to to use another protocol...

You talking about True WiFi? Don't have experience with that.

On a normal landline it is quite possible to have 1 Gbps+ with WiFi (in theory... I think FTTH in Thailand is 200 Mbps max?).

4G+ has a theoretical limit of 300 Mpbs, so 50 Mbps in the real world is quite possible (as the speedtests show).

I somehow fail to understand why you would need these speeds on mobile though. 2 Mbps is enough for HD streaming on 1 device. If you share your mobile connection in your whole household and there is 4 parties streaming videos in Ultra HD then yes, it might make sense to have these ridiculous speeds.

Edited by wump

On 2017-5-29 at 10:12 AM, wump said:

No :smile:  Approx. 5000 seconds/83 mins/1 hour and 23 mins.