Inpatient experience at Chiang Mai Ram

CaliTransplant

Soon I will check myself into CMR for a minor procedure. It will require staying for 2 nights. This is my first inpatient experience in Thailand and I'm reasonably certain it's not like in the US. 

I did a search through TVF and missed any previous posts about the in-hospital experience. If indeed there are other posts, I apologize for starting a new thread.

On their website, I saw that their room rates do not include food and beverages. Do they provide at additional cost or do I have friends bring? I saw that there are several room types of varying cost. For only 2 nights, I don't need the super deluxe premium platinum hoi polloi HiSo room. It does appear that all the rooms are private. Is this the case?

What more should I know? What questions should I have asked here (OK, I know I'm in trouble with that one)? 

Thanks very much

Edited by CaliTransplant

I thought the food provided was OK. Not great, but acceptable. I don't know if all rooms are private, but my room was and it didn't cost much.  The food can take a long time to arrive after you order. I thought it would be like a restaurant -- you order and your food comes in 10-15 minutes. This is not the case so be patient. 

I spent a couple of nights there and food was not included. I think there was a 3-ring binder on the table with menus that you could order from and be charged accordingly, but I never looked at it. You can go up to the 4th or 5th? Floor and there is a cafeteria where you can get pad grapow, pad khing, perhaps noodles, stuff like that. There is a small mini-mart there too and a few bakery items. You can also buy coffee there. About 40-50 Baht for food cooked to order. The food is IMHO, just as bad as any other hospital - but particularly bad there. If you are concerned about food, have family or friends bring it or order from Meals on Wheels. When I was there I saw Meals on Wheels guys come and go several times.

Thank you, one and all. I am grateful.

I think the food is sorted out, Meals on Wheels though I am open to other suggestions, of course.

Still I'm curious about television -- probably nothing in English if there's a TV at all. 

How about WiFi?

And again, thank you. You have been helpful.

Our stays have been good. KSK is just round the corner if you want a friend to pick food up there but obviously you are not there for a holiday.Cafetiria on the 3rd floor have a lot of choices and good coffee.My wife slept on the couch and reversal when she had her op.The nurses were very friendly and caring and one even bought me in a Bangkok Post around my wife's breakfast time.We had basic rooms ,fridge ,TV, English channels, wi fi and a view over Suthep .Mind you I don't particularly want to go back:smile:

More thanks are in order. 

I am familiar with the Out Patient Department, having visited there several times over the last 4 or 5 years. This is the first, and hopefully only, time for being admitted.

Yes, the focus has to be on the procedure and recovery. No question. And I will go batty in very short order if during that time the only option is looking at the ceiling. Still, it is appropriate to emphasize the priority.

If they have WiFi, then the TV with English channels is an added bonus. 

So, to everyone who pitched in, I am sincerely grateful for the information and advice.

Cheers!

May be you should also check if they still issue the discount card 20% (available at that time at the cashier counter; infos normally in the Ram Magazine).
Please also refer to:

In the 2 days staying after surgery I couldn't anyway eat "normal". So the rice soup and standard light Thai dishes (delivered from Ram kitchen) were just good for me and inexpensive.
WiFi was included in the room rate, stable and fast.
My wife looked Thai TV full day. I read books from my Kindle. I don't know if they have English speaking channels but the nurses are very friendly and can tell you for sure.

Good luck!