Work Permit: Contract Completed; School Retained; - Required for Chinese VISA Application.

Hello Law gods of Thailand,

I'm writing to you as I'm in a sticky situation.

I took a 1 year exclusive contract at a Thai English School.

They paid the VISA application and work permit associated costs.

The school have always kept hold of the blue book (I have seen it) which I was fine with as any authority could contact the school in the event of a police check and I could be guaranteed not to misplace it. 

I have recently completed (3 days ago) the contract with the school and I have taken a new contract with a school in China.

In order to apply for the Chinese VISA at the Chinese embassy in Bangkok, I need to prove I have been residing in Thailand completely legally, thus I am required to present my work permit in the form of its blue book.

My old school, even though I completed the contract in good faith and been nothing but a star teacher in the school, have refused to provide me with the work permit saying the paid for it.

Apart from being incredibly short sighted on their part is there any law that says the must hand over Work Permit to me for purposes like this or am I out on my ear?

Any proper legal insight would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the time or the space to make mistakes with legal conjecture. 

Thanks for your time,

T

Edited by Mittens79

45 minutes ago, Mittens79 said:

That's standard procedure, is it? To return the blue book? 

Yes.

1 hour ago, Mittens79 said:

need to prove I have been residing in Thailand completely legally, thus I am required to present my work permit

A work permit doesn't prove the legality of your immigration status. It only proves you had permission to work.

I don't understand what visa the OP is on at the moment.

I also don't understand what type of Chinese Visa is the OP seeking.

This is a good article of how to get a Chinese Visa in Bangkok, even if you don't work in Thailand and you are on visa exempt.

It refers to Chinese tourist visas though.

https://www.theopportunistictravelers.com/blog/2016/8/2/how-to-get-a-chinese-visa-in-bangkok

It appears that for NonB visa holders, just the copy of the work permit will be good enough.

Edited by lkv

have you received your ems package from the

school in china?  should include an invitation

letter and work permit.

your work visa with associated extensions in

your passport would prove legal stay in thailand.

(ok now?  i was on study visa when applying for

chinese work visa.  at that time only needed to

provide a copy of the original visa to show was

legally - long stay, not tourist - in thailand, as

most chinese embassies will not issue work

visas to someone in a third country unless on

long-term visa.  if on tourist visa would have

to return to home country.)

Edited by ChouDoufu

What category of China visa are you applying for? Unless it is tourist, better to apply in your home country.

Regardless, copy of your Work Permit should be fine for the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok.

Although none of my business, you should ensure that your new China school is employing you 'legally',

This means a Z-visa, not an F-visa (business) which is common for most language schools.

• Like 1