Authorities urged to drop charges against Khaosod columnist

rooster59

Authorities urged to drop charges against Khaosod columnist

Pravit-Rojanaphruk.jpg

Amnesty International has called on Thai authorities to drop sedition charges against Khaosod English’s senior staff writer Pravit Rojanaphruk for his Facebook posts.

“The authorities must immediately stop using the criminal justice system to harass Pravit Rojanaphruk. It is outrageous to think that he could face decades in prison for a totally peaceful action like putting up a few critical Facebook posts, ” Amnesty International’s Director for Southeast Asia and the Pacific, James Gomez, said in his statement today (Aug 4).

He was responding to the Thai authorities summoning of Mr Pravit to answer accusations of sedition for some of his Facebook posts.

According to Mr Pravit, a police of the rank of Police Lieutenant Colonel is charging him of violating sedition law through an estimate five Facebook postings. He will meet with police to hear charges on Tuesday (Aug 8).

“There appears to be no end to the Thai authorities’ determination to stamp out any form of criticism, whether online or on the streets. In the past few years, dozens of people have faced sedition charges for peacefully criticising the junta, including for their use of Facebook and other social media,” said Amnesty International’s Southeast Asia and the Pacific director.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/authorities-urged-drop-charges-khaosod-columnist/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-05

It's said that those with a big set of cajones should be careful not to hang them out too far in case they lose them... And I think this rings very true in this case. This guy's work is excellent, but until November at least he'd be better advised to rein it in a bit... After that, journalists like this will be golddust. I wish him well

3 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

"Mr Pravit received the CPJ’s International Press Freedom Award this year."

Yes, but did he win a robot contest ? 

Thailand has never cared for press freedoms sadly, and even less for those Thais journalists who are celebrated. 

Freedom in Thailand is here, as there is pretty much zero law enforcement.

Make it public though via Facebook or Youtube & then the gloves are off.

You "Damaged the image"...Gotta keep that image in tact!

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:

Freedom in Thailand is here, as there is pretty much zero law enforcement.

Make it public though via Facebook or Youtube & then the gloves are off.

You "Damaged the image"...Gotta keep that image in tact!

Murder = okay

corruption = okay

paedophile rings = okay

critical Facebook posts = 20+ years 

I remember calling my old Thai boss out on her BS in front of a few staff who also hated her. They 'all' looked at me like I was a the worst person in the world. 

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

violating sedition law through an estimate five Facebook postings

This is Thai government at its best competence.

Only has to count on their fingers the number of Pravit's alleged seditious Facebook postings but instead chose to make an ESTIMATE. Could be six, five, four , three - who knows exactly for sure?

This case is starting to attract the international attention it deserves, which could hopefully prevent the ultra-sensitive and paranoid junta from making an example of Pravit.

In particular, the influential New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists has  called for Thai authorities to stop threatening this courageous Thai journalist for voicing his concerns about some of the government's policies and actions.  

."The threat to charge a critical journalist with sedition charges for his Facebook posts shows just how badly press freedom has deteriorated in Thailand under military rule," they say.

Under article 116 of Thailand’s Criminal Code, sedition charges carry a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.

Read more at https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/08/thailand-junta-critic-sedition/#0YwZBpQu0SY1pVDM.99

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy: 14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

7 hours ago, nausea said:

Never heard of Khun Pravit before; now he, the controversy, and his Facebook page, are on my radar; sure it's the same with a lot of other people.

Her is the FB site of  Khun Pravit https://www.facebook.com/pravit.rojanaphruk.5

Here is another news website worthy to read:   https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=prachatai english

There is one good thing about FB, one can freely choose the news resources one wants to read, and have it everyday in the inbox.

42 minutes ago, sandemara said:

Truth is a dirty word in Thailand.

Indeed.Pity  that Pravit an otherwise worthy journalist is diminishing his credibility akin to Hannity/Fox/Trump - Pravit/Khaosod/Thaksin. Still, one does not wish to see the current un-elected Govt go down a similar path as elected Govt's before them...

Thailand seeks journalist blacklist
https://www.upi.com/Thailand-seeks-journalist-blacklist/18211014480832/

Press freedom 'eroded under Thaksin'
http://international.ucla.edu/institute/article/5446

Couldn't understand why you people still see this clown as a journalist. Believe it or not? This guy still asks his dad for money!!!  

I've been following him for a while and he's doing a very good job missing the point. A real question has never been asked. All he does is deliberately fuel ignorant and stir up drama. Most news stories from this clown are so anti-intellectual. He is the best fit for a job at Buzzfeed. That's all I can say.

30 minutes ago, George23 said:

Couldn't understand why you people still see this clown as a journalist. Believe it or not? This guy still asks his dad for money!!!  

I've been following him for a while and he's doing a very good job missing the point. A real question has never been asked. All he does is deliberately fuel ignorant and stir up drama. Most news stories from this clown are so anti-intellectual. He is the best fit for a job at Buzzfeed. That's all I can say.

Welcome to the forum. Your grammar is a bit Tinglish, if you don't mind my saying so.