Delightful New Restaurant!

FolkGuitar

With such a nice day today, we decided to take a motorbike ride around the Samoeng Loop. We try to ride this at least once a month, as it gives us a nice 3-4 hour ride during which we can just roll along and have a nice peaceful slide through the jungle, chatting together (we use helmet communicators with full duplex capabilities, so chatting is normal.) We have a few 'usual' restaurants that we stop at for lunch, but today we decided to try a new one, only open a few months.

"Cafe Farang" is spacious, comfortable restaurant/bar on the left side of the rode if your are coming from the Hang Dong side, just a few kilometers past the valley with the International School. There are very visible signs in front. The restaurant is nestled in the jungle, with indoor, outdoor, and air-conditioned seating. The tables are spread apart so there's no feeling of being crowded. It sports a rather large, varied menu, with both Western and Asian foods available, a well stocked beverage list (both hard and soft,) and the prices are comfortable. Service is very good, portion size more than adequate, and good value for the cost.

This being ThaiVisa, there will be those who will find fault with the place, but for us, it made for a great place to get off the bike, stretch our legs, then sit down for a leisurely lunch in very nice surroundings.  I don't know what it would be like in the evening, but for a nice lunch restaurant, I give this one two thumbs-up!

CafeFarang1.jpg

CafeFarang2.jpg

19 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

Not intending to hijack the thread, I'm more interested in the helmet communicators.  Can you briefly tell us what you have and where to buy it?

Thanks.

The ones we use are called "B+Comm" and are only sold in Japan, as far as I know, which is where I bought these. They are full duplex, so just like talking on the phone, integrate via Bluetooth with my phone with automatic answer and voice dialing, can also integrate with my Garmin Zumo GPS or any other Bluetooth device. The speakers remain mounted inside the helmets, while the transceiver and mic can just clip onto brackets on the helmet. My wife prefers an open-face helmet so her mic is a boom mic. I use a flip-up Shoei full-face, so my mic is on a wire velcro-ed to the end of the cheek pad, out of my way but close enough so my wife can hear me clearly. These have a range of about 1,500 meters for bike-to-bike talking, and remain clear until we get up to about 120kph, when they begin to get static. Battery gives us 10 hours of talk time and 300 hours standby.

These are top of the line communicators, the equal of 'Sena' and 'Scala,'  in the $250+ per unit range. However, these days you can find some very effective wireless helmet communicators on Ebay (with free shipping,) for under $150 for a pair. They just won't have the range (perhaps only 500 meters,) and start to lose signal at 90kph, and only have 6 hours talk time, etc.  Do an Ebay search of 'Motorcycle Helmet Communicators' and you'll see quite a few. Some can connect to 4-6 different units at the same time, other just two. Pretty inexpensive especially if you just want something for Driver to Pillion. You don't need the extended range.

15 hours ago, MrBrad said:

Not intending to hijack the thread, I'm more interested in the helmet communicators.  Can you briefly tell us what you have and where to buy it?

Thanks.

I tracked down the model that we use... You can order if from Amazon Japan.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/HOUSE-サインハウス-bluetoothインカム-ワイヤーマイク-00078558/dp/B00YXBLBXC/ref=pd_sim_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1MSNQJJY7BDYB2PBTEQ3

I went for a drive around the Samoeng loop about a year ago and was amazed at the amount of development since my last loop around 7 years before. In the past, I remember leaving the snake farms in Mae Rim and seeing very little sign of human habitation until hitting APIS at the Hong Dong end. Anicha.

• 2 weeks later...

The Samoeng loop from the Hang Dong end is forever changing.Sounds like great spot, either misssed it or it wasn't there last trip.Thnaks for the location.

We regret not buying some land along there 10 years ago.Prices have tripled +since