Thai Department Of Consular Affairs Chaengwattana Road

qualtrough

At the risk of violating the unwritten forum rule that forbids saying anything nice about Thailand, I just have to say that the Department of Consular Affairs on Chaengwattana runs a first class operation. I have been there a number of times to apply for and renew the wife's and daughters' passports, most recently today. Nice, modern building, lots of conveniences--bank, ATM, 7-11, book store, covered parking, food court, and a very efficient process and cheerful staff. Wife completed application for passport renewal on Monday in 30 minutes start to finish, and picked it up today! Photos are done by computer, no need to bring your own. They even mail the passport if you want for the EMS fee. Puts the process back in my home country to shame. Well done!

Couldn't agree more.

I used the place maybe 4 to 5 years ago, and thought I was on a different planet. 21st Century technology, with incredible efficiency.

It just shows you what they can do if they put their minds to it.

I wonder what the story is behind that place, and who master minded it? :o

My daughter got her passport there 2 years back, approx 1200 baht and passport mailed to us EMS three days later.

I hope some one from the British Consulate is reading this, it puts your passport service to shame

Went with my sister-in-law (Thai) there a few weeks back, and even she couldn't believe what her country was capable of in terms of efficiency. She said, "BFD, are we in Canada?" "No piisupai," I replied, "In Canada we'd have to get in line in order to have the privilege of getting into another line. At the end of _that_ line, the teller will take his or her standard three-hour coffee break."

It gives me hope that this kind of thing might become somewhat more widespread.

BFD!

I'll give them another vote.

Their IT systems mean a passport can be processed quickly. Service is more efficient than anything I've seen in the UK or Australia for something similar. Service is friendly and they know their stuff.

I hope some one from the British Consulate is reading this, it puts your passport service to shame

Ditto the Australian.

I had been under the illusion there was an Aus. Consulate in Chiang Mai. No, it's just a "retired businessman", according to BKK Aus. Embasssy :o .

I am no longer sure what services they do offer, since everything I ask about is done by "another department".

Borderline rude on the phone, too.

Great news that they are still able and friendly. I have to take the wife and lads early next month to sort out their new passports. hope they are the same as the OP says and the freindly and helpful staff from the last time I was there. :o

:D

Maybe something to thank THaksin and co for???

Anyone know if they are still extending Thai passports, the gf's has eight months left (which means two months under having six months passport time left to travel) on the first five years. Or are they issuing new high tech passports instead?

Maybe something to thank THaksin and co for???

Anyone know if they are still extending Thai passports, the gf's has eight months left (which means two months under having six months passport time left to travel) on the first five years. Or are they issuing new high tech passports instead?

In mid December last year my wife tried to extend her Thai passport. No go. She was given a new 50 odd page high tech (?) one. She also got to keep her old one as there is a Multi Entry Tourist Visa stamp in it that dosent expire until late this year.

I also agree, it is by far, the most efficiently run Government office I have ever been in :o