Dog Meat Added To Night Safari's Jungle Buffet

Felix Lynn

On the next Thailand Today,

Dog meat is officially on the menu at Chiang Mai’s Night Safari, along with other wildlife fair, such as lion, tiger, elephant and giraffe meat. While some may be salivating, others say the jungle buffet will tarnish Thailand’s image.

Also, facing a Thai bureaucracy … one man’s story trying to get a driver’s license in the Land of Smiles.

And more rants about all the news that is news on the next Thailand Today, each weekday, 3pm, 9pm, 3am and 9am, only on http://www.radiobangkok.net

When I was backpacking up north a few years ago, I was invited to a village chief's home to eat with him and his family.

As we were eating, I asked what it was - it was like a very gritty beef/game meat.

All the children started laughing, "Woof! Woof!".

I was told you could tell which dogs were for eating as they were the nice fat ones!

:o

Dog meat is officially on the menu at Chiang Mai’s Night Safari, along with other wildlife fair, such as lion, tiger, elephant and giraffe meat. While some may be salivating, others say the jungle buffet will tarnish Thailand’s image.

What's your point? I mean, what's your point other than to point at the things Thais do and chuckle with an air of superiority?

Is the whole point of your radio show simply to point out things about Thailand that you find wierd or stupid or bizarre and then pontificate about how it will "tarnish" the image of Thailand in the eyes of superior Westerners?

If that's the case, I think I'll take a pass on your program.

Personally, I think some people need to take a break from spending sooooooooo much energy on finding ways that Thailand is NOT like home.

No, duh. Like that's a big surprise.

Many Thais are horrified to find out that when I was a kid, we raised our own rabbits (for 4-H) and then when they got big enough, we butchered them and ate them. But where I come from, that's just a fact of farm life. You raise animals, you eat animals. So what?

How is that experience any different from dog-eating?

Personally, I'd never eat dog meat because I'd find it gross (I anthropromorphize dogs too much), and also because the meat of carnivores is never as tasty as the meat of herbivores, no matter what some people say. A diet of whole grains makes for better tasting meat, period.

But just because I find it personally distasteful doesn't mean its going to "tarnish" the image of Thailand if they put it on their menus (any more than seeing crocodile or ostrich on the menu).

Admit it, the subtle undertone of what you're saying is that you think Thais are barbaric and uncivilized and you see this dog-eating story as yet more "evidence" of that "fact".

Whatever....

Admit it, the subtle undertone of what you're saying is that you think Thais are barbaric and uncivilized and you see this dog-eating story as yet more "evidence" of that "fact".

Whatever....

I think you will find that a large number of thai people will also find it barbaric and uncivilised.

Me, I'm just waiting for the menu...as soon as the "tiger paw and pea soup" comes out...I'm in like a robbers dog (no pun intended) :o

I have no problem with dog on the menu . But, the barbaric ways that dogs are disposed of in China/Korea are just that. Tying a dog to a tree and beating it to death because u think the animal's fear gives the meat a better taste :D

I think with all this bird flu scare going around it shows how dangerous some farming practices are. Intesive farming of pigs, chickens and cows in appalling condtions, not just in Thailand ,but western county's as well. I feel alot safer eating a free ranging kangeroo or elephant than a farmed pig or chicken . If thier population is not threatened ..then meat is meat :o

I have no problem with dog on the menu . But, the barbaric ways that dogs are disposed of in China/Korea are just that. Tying a dog to a tree and beating it to death because u think the animal's fear gives the meat a better taste :D

I think with all this bird flu scare going around it shows how dangerous some farming practices are. Intesive farming of pigs, chickens and cows in appalling condtions, not just in Thailand ,but western county's as well. I feel alot safer eating a free ranging kangeroo or elephant than a farmed pig or chicken  . If thier population is not threatened ..then meat is meat  :o

Agreed. I think the documentary "Super-Size Me" put it best when they said we live in a "toxic food environment", which means it's literally impossible these days for a normal person to eat safe food these days. MOST of what we eat is bad for us, either for dietary reasons or because of the hazardous way it was cultivated, harvested, raised, caught or processed.

Heck, you can't even eat seafood on a regular basis because you'll collect too much mercury in your fat tissue. So much for "free range" salmon. :D

I think with all this bird flu scare going around it shows how dangerous some farming practices are. Intesive farming of pigs, chickens and cows in appalling condtions, not just in Thailand ,but western county's as well. I feel alot safer eating a free ranging kangeroo or elephant than a farmed pig or chicken  . If thier population is not threatened ..then meat is meat  :o

I have no experience of either China or Korea, but in Timor our 400 baht dog was delivered in a sack alive. It was some 5 minutes hunting after it escaped but all there was to it was one good blow on the head. Then the rest by the very experienced chefs. It was a feast for more than ten people. Quite delicious, though not much to eat there, (if you only enjoy red meat).

Ofcourse all the meat in Timor is grown more or less wild. I find that lot more humane or animalane for that matter, than the KFC chickens, just for an example.

What comes to feasting on an endangered species or what ever object, on a refuge, we call a zoo, is truly disgusting. Restaurants ought to be elsewhere as stated many times before. This is really the worst marketing by the gov as I so far have seen.

What's your point?  I mean, what's your point other than to point at the things Thais do and chuckle with an air of superiority?

Have a listen and find out what the point is. The program promos are not the program. Promos are to spark interest. It appears you have a love it or leave attitude and if you have on opposing view "stuff it." I was raised to analyze, criticise and offer suggestions to improve. I was taught to think and offer opinions.

I do chuckle sometimes with an air of superiority, however.

Is the whole point of your radio show simply to point out things about Thailand that you find wierd or stupid or bizarre and then pontificate about how it will "tarnish" the image of Thailand in the eyes of superior Westerners?

Not at all. But the differences are what interest people. Bizarre is sometimes newsworthy.

If that's the case, I think I'll take a pass on your program.

Your choice.

The idea behind Thailand Today is to give foreigners living in Thailand, Thai speakers of English and folks around the world a discussion program about Thailand in English. There is no other program like and I don't think there has ever been. Yeah, there are plenty of Thai news and talk shows about Thailand but no English language programs that talk about Thailand. On some Bangkok radio stations, you might find English language government PR masquerading as news but no English language talk or discussion.

Contempt before investigation and all that...

I've ate quite a few things over the years. Kangaroo, ostrich, crocodile, emu, springbok to name a few but i draw the line at eating Rover. Just been brought up different. But i will generally try most things. But if i knew i was about to eat dog. Then i just couldnt bring myself to do that. :o