American Resident Beaten And Robbed

libya 115

American resident beaten and robbed from his South Pattaya home.

A disturbing case now from a house in “The Village”, just off Pattaya Third Road. Police Lieutenant Colonel Sirichai was called to the house at 4.30 on Tuesday Morning after the house owner, Mr. Lou Plorde aged 70 informed Police that he had been badly beaten inside his house and items had been stolen.

The victim, who alerted Police after he regained consciousness, confirmed to Police that 200,000 Baht in cash had been taken. The case began when he was awoken by two Thai men who had broken into his house and made their way to Mr. Plorde’s 1st floor bedroom.

The two assailants located the cash which was kept in an unsecured bedside cabinet and then left the house after beating the victim into an unconscious state. Police are waiting for Mr. Plorde to recover enough in order for him to make a full statement.

SOURCE: Pattaya City News

A disturbing case now from a house in “The Village”, just off Pattaya Third Road. Police Lieutenant Colonel Sirichai was called to the house at 4.30 on Tuesday Morning after the house owner, Mr. Lou Plorde aged 70 informed Police that he had been badly beaten inside his house and items had been stolen.

The victim, who alerted Police after he regained consciousness, confirmed to Police that 200,000 Baht in cash had been taken. The case began when he was awoken by two Thai men who had broken into his house and made their way to Mr. Plorde’s 1st floor bedroom.

The two assailants located the cash which was kept in an unsecured bedside cabinet and then left the house after beating the victim into an unconscious state. Police are waiting for Mr. Plorde to recover enough in order for him to make a full statement.

Someone sure knew the cash was there.

Quite a sum to leave laying around.

Robbery with violence seems to be on the increase in Thailand and farangs seem to be an easily identified source of money for these scum.

My Thai wife and I are due to retire to Thailand in the new year and will live in the country some 60 miles south of Bangkok. A very secluded area and far from crowded.

On our last visit this year my wife's brother said he was worried about us living there and being attacked and robbed.

The local people seem sound but the concern these days is younger family members who have gone off to the city, developed a drug habit and do return home occasionally, and who will see us as an easy target.

My brother in law advised us to get a gun for protection and offered to buy an illegal one for us if we needed it.

I laughed at the idea at the time but now my wife is getting concerned too, saying that I may be putting her sister and mother, who will live with us, at risk also.

Does anyone know the price of a second hand shotgun,perferabley pump action and the cost of a licence for it?

It is farming country we will live in and presume that farmers need guns there as we in the uk do

I have made a motion detector alarm that is very loud, any one breaks in, i can hear them first, the whole project including all the bits cost me 2500bht.

However i havent got 200,000bht in cash sitting around.

Shame for the guy, it could be worse, he could have been killed like the other recent robbery in Bangkok

Robbery with violence seems to be on the increase in Thailand and farangs seem to be an easily identified source of money for these scum.

My Thai wife and I are due to retire to Thailand in the new year and will live in the country some 60 miles south of Bangkok. A very secluded area and far from crowded.

On our last visit this year my wife's brother said he was worried about us living there and being attacked and robbed.

The local people seem sound but the concern these days is younger family members who have gone off to the city, developed a drug habit and do return home occasionally, and who will see us as an easy target.

My brother in law advised us to get a gun for protection and offered to buy an illegal one for us if we needed it.

I laughed at the idea at the time but now my wife is getting concerned too, saying that I may be putting her sister and mother, who will live with us, at risk also.

Does anyone know the price of a second hand shotgun,perferabley pump action and the cost of a licence for it?

It is farming country we will live in and presume that farmers need guns there as we in the uk do

Having lived in a village for the last 3 years, I have noticed the increase in gun violence recently. I have never felt threatened, but I do feel that the days of Farang living safely in the villages are numbered. Alcohol and guns don't mix! More youngsters are getting hold of handguns lately.

Since the coup, there has been a marked increase in the availability of drugs, drugs and guns don't mix well either.

I am in pattaya at the moment and there seems to be a lot more crime here commited by boys in their early teens, these will be hardened criminals by the time they are adults. So I think that your comment.....

....is certainly valid.

If you decide to stay in a village, you will have to give security some serious thought, maybe not now, but in the years to come.

I would also consider other factors before deciding to live in a village. How well can you speak Thai? If you have difficulty stringing 2 sentences together, you may find yourself feeling very lonely. A place that you visit for holidays can be very different when you live there.! Another thing is demands from the family, but I'm sure you know about that already.

Based on mi and other's experience, I would advise anyone setting up home in Thailand to make sure there is plenty of distance between the home and family.

Good luck

I'd opt for two big dogs instead, let 'em have a corner to sleep inside the house at night.

Better still buy a couple of geese, better than any guard dog! that and good security, I wouldn't get a gun IMO

Yeah, but can you train the geese to honk when they have to go outside for a pooh? :D And, is their bite really as bad as their bark? Just think of the embarrassment of being a robber who was run off by the toothless beak of a goose. I know it smarts, but seldom draws blood. :o

Looks like the above guy isnt the only one who was robbed in The Village this week.

Have just been informed that my Dad who also lives in 'The Village' on 3rd Road was also robbed on Christmas eve. He went upstairs for a few seconds, and when he came back down, 2 telephones were missing. Luckily enough he was not hurt like the other guy.

Its probably the same guys who committed these 2 thefts...

Thanks for the input guys. Yes I do speak Thai and can read and write it too and I know and like the village people generally.

Maybe I am fortunate but I like my Thai family and there has never been excessive demands for money from them. Their buffalo are really healthy and they all work hard and do not scrounge. on the contrary there have been occasions where they have given money to me and my wife!

We have two dogs there already and will be bringing two devoted dogs from the UK. I know that either of them would fight to the death to protect us and they will live inside the home and woe betide any stranger entering.

My wife is adamant about getting a licenced fire arm and learning to use it.

The property we own is secluded but has excellent external lighting and I will install cctv with motion detectors and wire in a klaxon panic button.

the dogs and electronics wil warn us of any strange nocturnal visits and as our home is designed as a large traditional thai home i should be able to defend the stairs against unwelcomed visitors quite easily.

So does anyone know the cost of a pump shotgun there as I think this is the ultimate self defence tool?

So does anyone know the cost of a pump shotgun there as I think this is the ultimate self defence tool?

Waiting for the next TV News Post " Farrang arrested for shooting Thai with a pump action shotgun" or " Farrang shot with his own pump action shotgun"

I am not sure of the law here especially concerning reasonable force, however I would suspect that a shotgun used on an unarmed Thai intruder or even one armed with a knife might be viewed as excessive? again any one know the facts regarding this?

Any one else got any other possibilities?

My wife is adamant about getting a licenced fire arm and learning to use it.

The property we own is secluded but has excellent external lighting and I will install cctv with motion detectors and wire in a klaxon panic button.

the dogs and electronics wil warn us of any strange nocturnal visits and as our home is designed as a large traditional thai home i should be able to defend the stairs against unwelcomed visitors quite easily.

Motion detectors, and guard dogs are a good combination. I think the shotgun is overkill.

Some other items are pepper spray and fake/real cameras around the property.

BTW, whats with all the monkey, dog and cat avatars on this thread? :o

Not sure about a shotgun, but you can pick up a handgun for around 40 to 50,000 Baht. I know a retiring police officer who currently has 3 for sale. A licence is very easy to obtain for a Thai national. Just pop down to the police station, fill in a form and pay about 150 Baht. However, I wouldn't consider shooting anyone other than in the most dire of circumstances. Firing a shot into the air may however be enough to cause would be burglars to think again.

Not sure about a shotgun, but you can pick up a handgun for around 40 to 50,000 Baht. I know a retiring police officer who currently has 3 for sale. A licence is very easy to obtain for a Thai national. Just pop down to the police station, fill in a form and pay about 150 Baht. However, I wouldn't consider shooting anyone other than in the most dire of circumstances. Firing a shot into the air may however be enough to cause would be burglars to think again.

What about a blank-firing pistol?

Sure it, wont do any real damage but they go bang bang pretty loud and would deter many opportunist burglars.

and if they have a gun with real bullets? :o

Preventing them from getting in is better than defending yourself once they are in. Dogs, loud alarms, bright lights. As thebounder said, make the path to your sleeping area difficult also telephone access near your bed with the local BiB number programmed in is better than arming yourself IMO. The dogs & alarm should be deterrent enough but if they stil manage to get in then the more easy it is for them to get off with your tv & dvd player without being able to get near you the better IMO.

Thanks for the input guys. Yes I do speak Thai and can read and write it too and I know and like the village people generally.

Maybe I am fortunate but I like my Thai family and there has never been excessive demands for money from them. Their buffalo are really healthy and they all work hard and do not scrounge. on the contrary there have been occasions where they have given money to me and my wife!

Has she got a sister?

Drugs will become a big problem soon. More and more addicts.They will do anything and not think of the consequenses to get a fix.

I also think there is less concern for the well being of farangs now in Pattaya.

The young thai guys that hang around the beach were not around a couple of years back.

I know and like the village people.

Me too. "In The Navy" was a great song.

What are the rules in Thailand regarding shooting someone who is trespassing on your property or invading your house?

I ask this because in Australia the criminals have more rights than the home owner and you basically have to let them take what they want and thank them on their way out. If you shoot someone who is envading your house you have a very lengthy and expensive court trial and possible jail sentence for shooting the "poor, underprivaledged, led-astray, disadvantaged, not his fault that he doesn't want to work" house thief.

Dgoz, you beat me to it by about 12 minutes. It's good to know great minds still think alike!!!

Problem with dogs like mine, a Golden Retreiver, is that for a dog biscuit she will lead them to where I hide all the good stuff. She may possibly beat them to death with her tail, but that's about as dangerous as she gets.

I really hope they catch these guys before they hurt someone!

Viking

What are the rules in Thailand regarding shooting someone who is trespassing on your property or invading your house?

I ask this because in Australia the criminals have more rights than the home owner and you basically have to let them take what they want and thank them on their way out. If you shoot someone who is envading your house you have a very lengthy and expensive court trial and possible jail sentence for shooting the "poor, underprivaledged, led-astray, disadvantaged, not his fault that he doesn't want to work" house thief.

If you are Thai - absolutely no problem unless the dead criminal's family have more money than you. If you are Farang and have the backing of the local community you are probably okay

-----------------

And he thought a bank would rip him off??

It does look like someone had some inside information!

With the increase in crime and drugs, maybe a cottage industry will spring up like I found in Bogota in the 70's. Any in home problems were handled personally by your self, and then a call to a number brought a crew early the next morning and in a few hours you would never know anything had taken place in the house. The cost was an ecconomical $50. I found this out after being almost assisnated by a robber I had tied up after show him my best Brue Lee Num Chuck immitation, and called the police to haul away....3 weeks later he came back with some friends.

Well no more Mr. Nice Guy after that.

I really look forward to a peaceful retirement in Thailand, but will prepare for the unexpected.

Edited by old wanderer

With the increase in crime and drugs, maybe a cottage industry will spring up like I found in Bogota in the 70's. Any in home problems were handled personally by your self, and then a call to a number brought a crew early the next morning and in a few hours you would never know anything had taken place in the house. The cost was an ecconomical $50. I found this out after being almost assisnated by a robber I had tied up after show him my best Brue Lee Num Chuck immitation, and called the police to haul away....3 weeks later he came back with some friends.

Well no more Mr. Nice Guy after that.

I really look forward to a peaceful retirement in Thailand, but will prepare for the unexpected.

Bogota sounds like South Africa in the 70s. Shoot the intruder in the garden whenever possible, put him on a tarpaulin and drag the body into the living room, and then send for police. Think it would work here?