Car rental

kriket58

Hi

Any experienced car renters on here? When I have hired car previously from Suvarnabhumi through rentalcars.com, I was provided with an Avis rental but needed to get the shuttle to their office to pick up and drop off vehicle - took an extra 30 minutes. I noticed that there were hire vehicles parked outside the arrivals area near where the car hire desks are. Does anyone know how you hire one of these vehicles, do I need to rent direct from Avis/Budget etc or is it a thai lottery? 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I rent from Budget via the budget website, but with a discount code (?) from USAA.

I pick the car up at the terminal, drop it off there.  (3 times so far)

The one quirk in the process seems to be my GF who flies in to meet me on a domestic flight, can't figure out how to get to the rental car area.

She's usually on the phone calling me, or 2-3 levels above yelling at me while hanging over a railing.   I can't imagine there isn't  a route to the rental car area for domestic arrivals, but she always ends up at  a stairway a security guard won't let her pass through.

Service at budget has been OK.     One time I  did have to find the counter person at 0430.  It turned out he was sleeping on the floor behind the counter.  The car has always been ready at the airport, although finding a place to park it when turning it in can be interesting in the crowded space provided..    (Try, then leave it where you can, dash to the counter, hand them the keys, turn it in, let them deal with it.)

• 2 weeks later...